Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • albertcerruti
    • Aug 2018

Counting Blows

Just wondering if people actually count how many times they blow into a balloon? I know that everyone’s breathe is different (deep, shallow, etc)....

I personally count mine as I am scared of the pop (non popper here).

For me I stop around 21 for a tuftex 17 crystal... max 25 if I feel dangerous....

Does anyone else do it? Or do you count for the anticipation of the bang as a popper? How about the other sizes and types?
  • craggy2012
    • Jan 2012

Re: Counting Blows

I used to years ago when I mouth inflated everything.... I think at the time I had some sort of interest as to how much air an item would hold, or need to inflate it. I had a 4ft x 4ft Valentine's heart inflatable that needed 76 breaths to fully inflate- it was almost like a ritual when inflating something.
    Nowadays I just use either a handpump or an inflator and not really take much notice of how many pumps, or minutes the inflator been running for!
    Last edited by craggy2012; 08-08-2018, 10:22.

Comment

• Vicci
      Blown to bits
      • Oct 2009

Yes, and it always has to be an even number
      Vicci x

Comment

• SusieDK
        • Dec 2017

Hi,

I often count the blows when I blow up a balloon. I started doing it back when I was all too nervous to keep blowing until the balloon popped, and deciding to blow a certain (small) number of blows helped me keep up my courage in some odd way. Later it has become sort of a habit, and knowing the number of blows a balloon can usually take also greatly enhances the anticipation when the limit is getting closer. Also when the ‘normal limit’ is exceeded the anticipation grows even more. Something like ‘Wow! Now it has taken 10 blows more than these balloons use to do, it will burst any moment - and it will be so LOUD!’.
        Does this make any sense?

I don’t do it all the time, but it happens quite regularly.

Thank you for reading my posting.

Sincerely
        Susie

Comment

• craggy2012
          • Jan 2012

Sure, it makes sense!

It’s difficult keeping track though as each loon gets used over again and again- they get even bigger still. Some of my older GL1200’s I wouldn’t have a clue when they’re ‘fully’ inflated without comparing one against a brand new one. It’s just so much easier with a pump!

Comment

• LuckyLooner
            • Oct 2017

I always count. I'm a nonpopper too. By counting, I know about how much air is in the balloon and therefore what I can do with it without popping it. Usually, anyway. I do have the occasional accidental pop.

Comment

• albertcerruti
              • Aug 2018

Sounds like the counting is more of a non-popper thing as a way to eliminate the fear of it popping and it also increases anticipation?

Susie and Lucky - Do you have like a max number?

Comment

• Slugamano
                • Jul 2016

If I inflate balloons for decoration or for kids I don't count the blows, I only check the safe size and tightness but when I want to pop it I do always count it.

Comment

• marja

When I buy new balloons I like to test them. One of the first things I do is count the number of breaths until one looks full (has a small neck). Then I sit down on it, see if it last for a minute. If it doesn't pop I will start bouncing and see how many bounces it takes before the balloon pops. This gives a good indication of how strong the balloons are.
                  The real test is off course when I count the number of breaths they need before they burst. Often when the balloon was difficult to burst by sitting or bouncing on it, the balloon goes way beyond the size I expected before it pops with a loud bang,

Comment

• SusieDK
                    • Dec 2017

Originally posted by albertcerruti
                    Sounds like the counting is more of a non-popper thing as a way to eliminate the fear of it popping and it also increases anticipation?

Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by a ‘max number’. If you the Maximum number of breaths I have blown into a balloon, I can only come up with the rather silly answer, that I only blow until the balloon pops. What number of breaths this will be, will of course vary, as balloon ‘durability’ isn’t exactly an exact science

However a max number can also be meant as sort of a ‘record number’ for a certain kind of balloon. I don’t keep an exact record of this, but I do notice when a balloon get unusually big before it pops. For example the Tuftex 14” balloons will usually take around 50 blows (my size), but now and then such a balloon will take quite some more - not so many days ago I had such a balloon take 68 blows before it exploded. Considering that I had expected it to pop around 50 blows, you can imagine this ‘knowledge’ enhanced the anticipation - and excitement - quite significantly during the last 20 blows, increasing with each and every blow.
                    Again I don’t keep exact track of how big every kind of balloon can usually get, but counting blows in between means that I have quite a good idea of how big the various balloons will go. As my balloons are always ‘fresh from the bag’, I don’t know much about the issue of balloons getting bigger and bigger after repeated inflations. My balloons only get blown up once.

I obviously didn’t manage to explain my ‘blow counting thing’ very well in my initial posting; I hope this attempt gives a better impression of how it works, and how I feel about it.

Thank you for reading my posting

Sincerely
                    Susie
                    Last edited by SusieDK; 14-08-2018, 17:04. Reason: Correcting spelling mistakes and adding missing words.

Comment

• drumrd
                      • Dec 2013

I have the wish the wish to make my balloons as big as possible... Because I am more a non/semi popper I also count to see how big they can get, at the point the balloon is really tight, still kind of safe (I know, it's contradictory).

But by reading this thread, I also notice that the the amount of air that one breath holds, plays a mayor role. For example, I notice a 17'' TT is really tight with 50 (deep) breaths, though with SusieDK this counts with a 14'' TT. Question is: are my breaths bigger, or is my standard of a tight balloon different...

Sometimes i blow a balloon with short breaths and sometimes with deep breaths (which contain much more air)... so in my opinion also the parameter of how deep the breath is plays a big role in counting.
                      Last edited by drumrd; 11-08-2018, 08:29.

Comment

• srob2
                        • Dec 2017

Here is a fun game, especially for 9 inch - 14 inch balloons, if you are a little scared to b2p.

Blow one up normal size, counting full breaths, tie it off.
                        Blow up another, but put one full breath more, tie it off.
                        Repeat until you b2p, if you get scared, pop one you tied.

You can keep playing after a b2p, if one popped on 12 breaths, blow 12 breaths into the next balloon, which likely won't pop. Then blow 13 into the next balloon, which likely will pop it. Keep going with 13 until a balloon holds it, then go to 14, etc.

Game ends when you get bored or run out of balloons.

Comment

• LuckyLooner
                          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by albertcerruti

Yes, and it depends on the brand, size, and even color of the balloon. My usual balloons for playing are 11/12". I LOVE 14", but I can't buy them locally. I could order, but the problem with that is delivery to the house. Can't do that. One of these days I'll get a P.O. box or something.

Anyway, with my current stock of orange, standard finish Qualatex 11", six full breaths gets them to the point where a neck is just forming. At that point they're nice and tight and I can sit on it, ride it, hump it, whatever and they usually take it with no problem. Same for the red Q-tex 11", standard finish.

Comment

• emmanuelle
                            • Oct 2018

I used to sometimes challenge the girls when they blew up balloons.
                            "How many more will it take?"
                            "Try 6 more breaths..."

It helped when they were scared

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞