Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DatJohnDoeTho
    • Nov 2016

Preserving beachballs

Hello,this is my first post here,and I recently bought a beachball I really love,how do I prolong it's lifespan?Besides restraining myself from popping it,which I won't.So the question is,how do I make sure it lasts a very long time?Any chemicals (besides petrol I believe) should I avoid?
    Attached Files
  • Big Thud Joe
    • May 2017

Re: Preserving beachballs

The first thing that comes to mind is temperature fluctuations. I don't know the climate where you live, but here in Sydney Australia we get very hot summers and bone cutting cold winters. As I love my balls blown very firm, I have to be mindful, particularly around spring to let a little air out gradually. As the temperatures warm up during spring, it causes the air to expand, which for a ball already very tightly inflated can lead to seam rips and pin holes. During Autumn I then tighten them up again, as the cooler air contracts. This is more of a problem with mylar balloons, as they are more prone to seam rippage. During summer, temperatures can variate within a ten to fifteen degree range (celcius), which means I literally have to keep an eye on the inflation pressure from day to day.

Comment

• DatJohnDoeTho
      • Nov 2016

I live in Malaysia which is hot as hell all year round,but my room is probably at most 34 Celsius(?).I love blowing my beachballs firm as well,and I usually inflate it in my toilet when bathing with room temperature(?) water,I avoid using my heater when I play with my beachballs,and I usually inflate them at night,so yeah

Comment

• OverTheTop
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Big Thud Joe
        The first thing that comes to mind is temperature fluctuations. I don't know the climate where you live, but here in Sydney Australia we get very hot summers and bone cutting cold winters. As I love my balls blown very firm, I have to be mindful, particularly around spring to let a little air out gradually. As the temperatures warm up during spring, it causes the air to expand, which for a ball already very tightly inflated can lead to seam rips and pin holes. During Autumn I then tighten them up again, as the cooler air contracts. This is more of a problem with mylar balloons, as they are more prone to seam rippage. During summer, temperatures can variate within a ten to fifteen degree range (celcius), which means I literally have to keep an eye on the inflation pressure from day to day.
        Not only does the air expand, but the heat makes the vinyl stretchier, so the same pressure will force it to larger sizes, which can thin and eventually pop it.

Comment

• DatJohnDoeTho
          • Nov 2016

Thanks for the tip about heat!What about chemicals to avoid,especially ones thatvmay damage the print on my beachball?

Comment

• René
            • Jun 2018

I found out that overinflation with hot steam prevents accidental pops on small beachballs, like 20" ones. I'm a semi-popper and I sometimes have rude sessions (I like 20 and 24" beachballs). Specially on winter, riding 20" beachballs might lead to get some unexpected small leaks in the very first session if you are not careful. Careful means being rude with tight inflated new beachballs. The smaller and tight it gets on it's first inflation, the more is the probability of getting an early leak (or pop). So I go to a soften process where I take turns to inflate it with a hot steam machine and my mouth, riding soft and being careful with the pressure over it. It stretches in a right way and I get a cool size with no popping risks. After 10 or 15 minutes of stretching, I can have a decent session with a tight and big sized beachball, that's more like a 24". If I want to force the popping with a wild riding session, it can also give you a good fight before getting an unfixable leak or a good bang (they pop like balloons if it's really full of air and tight, and you are sit popping it with full weight and strength, like in a chair or a hard surface). I think I'm kind of an expert with beachballs and 20 years of experience with them :P

Comment

• DatJohnDoeTho
              • Nov 2016

I'd be afraid and I don't wanna stretch or ride this beach ball,and I don't have steam machines,but I'll try to do that with other beachballs?
              Last edited by DatJohnDoeTho; 17-06-2018, 05:10. Reason: Clarification

Comment

• lornly
                • Nov 2019

Just wanna say Hi!
                I love beach balls and live near to you too

Comment

• DatJohnDoeTho
                  • Nov 2016

Ayoo glad to see there are a good amount of looners nearby!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎