X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chazzabong
    • Jan 2018

Best First Balloon To Blow To Pop

Hi all,
    I'm new to blow to popping balloons and was wondering what balloons are good to start with size doesn't bother me but the quieter the better when they pop (i know that sounds stupid)
  • OverTheTop
    • Dec 2013

Re: Best First Balloon To Blow To Pop

You can take pretty much any balloon and bake it to heat stretch it, making them stretchier and softer (and consequently, less loud when they pop). I usually bake brand new ones at 290°F for 5-15 minutes depending on the brand and desired stretchiness: Cattex are already pretty soft, so usually 5-7 minutes; Qualatex/Unique take longer, usually about 10 minutes; TufTex are a bit of a mixed bag but usually less than 10 minutes, etc.

You can also throw them in a clothes dryer for a similar effect, which works better for balloons that aren't brand new - put it in a ziploc bag and then throw it in the dryer for 15-30 minutes on high.

Comment

• LoudPopper
      • Jan 2016

I don't know much about baked balloons tbh. I always wanted to try and every time I have I ended up melting the loons. But thanks for the tip btw OverTheTop with the dryer trick, I think I'm gonna try it. Yes though, I do know for a fact that baking def makes the sound considerably quieter when it pops. I noticed that you asked for what size to recommend too however. Just note that baking balloons makes them bigger, (like 1.5 to double if I'm not mistaken) so if you're concerned about size when it pops too, just keep that in mind. When dealing with BTP, size is a tricky issue to be honest because although a lot of people may not think it, smaller balloons can be just as loud or louder when they go bang. 9" ers are very loud and make a very sharp snapping sound when they go off. 12"ers vary by brand. From my understanding, besides size (which matters a little bit) the big factors that determine loudness are the tightness of the latex when fully inflated and the thickness. That's why finding a "soft" balloon is important if you want a quiet sound bc they don't get very tight and they're relatively thin. I recommend perhaps some dollar store cheap brand or even better, Wal-Mart brand if you have them near by. If you're concerned about size or wanna start experimenting w/ BTP and not have to put a lot of work into getting the loon fully inflated, 12" is probably a good place to start. But if size doesn't matter too much I would recommend the Unique or Mexico 16", they're soft and relatively fragile and easy to burst.

Comment

• srob2
        • Dec 2017

The sound really isn't that loud. b2p is scary and once it pops its over. The hard part is before it pops. But size doesn't matter. Small balloons can be really loud and so can big ones.

Size does matter with how difficult it is. With a 9 inch, it will be full after 4 breaths and you might not be able to blow hard enough to break it. A 16 inch will burst easily, but you need 20 breaths before you are close. So different opportunities to chicken out.

Comment

• LoudPopper
          • Jan 2016

I agree. I totally forgot Unique made 12"ers. I've only played with them once, but they were a nice and easy balloon to break. Apparently Unique's loon making process makes for really soft latex. Great balloon to BTP on regardless of size.

Comment

• Meililoon
            aka lyckr
            • Sep 2014

I agree with starting with Uniques, it's what I did. However, I would probably recommend a 14" or 16". Somehow I find it easier with bigger balloons, as the pop is usually isn't as sharp as with smaller balloons.
            Would also recommend earplugs. I can barely pop a balloon without them

Comment

• marja

Hi!

I am not sure what your background is and if you are a popper or not?

Since you write that you are NEW to popping balloons, it sounds like you might want to pop balloons to please someone else. That's perfectly fine, but it changes my answer somewhat.

I fully agree with the previous answers on what the easiest balloon to blow to pop is. I would recommend a 12 or 14 inch unique balloon as the easiest balloon to blow to pop. But you didn't ask for the easiest, rather the best.
              The best balloon for learning (mastering) blow to pops would be a 24 inch tuftex or Qualatex. When you manage to pop such a balloon without wearing earplugs, you can manage popping every balloon!
              If you start with the hardest, loudest and very big balloon, everything else should be a piece of cake!

Comment

• Bubble Boy :-P

Hmmm.....
                Y'know you make a lot of sense, marja, when you put the whole thing into that context....is context the right word?
                I fully agree that the very best big balloon for blow to pops is the Tuff-Tex 24. Its my go to balloon for public b2p's.
                When pulled out uninflated it seems a very modest balloon, even more so than the Q-24, & it's not so intimidating. People ive used them around or whome blew them up themselves are usually surprised & delighted at how beautifully big they get! Like you say once that big baby is mastered, other balloons should be relatively easy!

Comment

• srob2
                  • Dec 2017

How do the smaller uniques compare to the 16"? Are they the same just smaller?

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎