X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonarloon
    • Jun 2017

ride to pop, some concerns and questions

Hello everyone,
    As the title says, I'd like to attempt a more serious ride. Previously I've more just put maybe 5 10 pounds of my 155 pound body weight at once, however this time I'd like to put at least all of it.
    First off, the possible loudness of the pop. Would you recommend a q16 or a q24 be the better option for a slightly quieter pop and support my weight better?
    Second, I've just got a standard garbage bag to put it in, to hopefully contain the shreds if it does go. Will this work effectively?
    Last, I should be ok when I possibly become a testament to gravity with 2 pillows, so I think I'm ok in that department. Unless I break an ankle or something. Lol.
    Anything else I need to know before trying this?
    Thanks everyone for your possible input!
  • JR Looner
    • May 2015

Re: ride to pop, some concerns and questions

I have not bounced on a Q16 or Q24 before, but I can say that balloons in general can handle more weight if underinflated. Underinflated meaning inflated to less then full capacity. Also, if you would like a longer or harder ride, try bouncing on the balloon on a mattress. The mattress should help cradle the balloon so it does not deform to the breaking point.

I am not sure of the friction between a garbage bag and a latex balloon. I do know if you underinflate the balloon (as mentioned above) there is a less chance of the balloon rupturing into many small pieces. It might rupture into 2-4 pieces instead. Again, I don't pop balloons on a normal basis, so this is mostly pondering what could happen.

Hope this helps. Take care and Happy Looning.

Very Respectfully,

JR

Comment

• loonerdude44
      Inflatable Enthusiast
      • Oct 2017

Just go with bigger balloons (good luck getting a Q24!), they can hold more air and subsequently take more pressure.

Comment

• craggy2012
        • Jan 2012

To soften the pop simply inflate a little less. Even inflating to 80-90% means you can still ride it without fear of a monumental boom if it gives out.

Comment

• sonarloon
          • Jun 2017

Hi again,
          Thanks for your input thus far. So underinflation seems to be the way for a longer ride.
          What about my strategy of putting it in a garbage bag? Will that actually work or will it just cause problems, AKA friction?
          I plan to take on this riding attempt in about 35 hours from now eastern time, so would appreciate to know if this will work.
          Thanks again all!

Comment

• Bubble Boy :-P

Just some good, strong quality balloons & an ounce of bravery is all one needs! Q-16s make quite a loud bang as they are thick & get very tight. A fresh TT- 24 is nothing short of a grenade. But i agree with what most say that the majority of the time; it is usually the smaller balloon that contains the bigger bang I wish you the best of luck for your balloon ride, sonarloon! Cool name, by the way!

Comment

• sonarloon
              • Jun 2017

I was thinking the same thing, so I will use a qualatex q24, of which I have quite a few left.
              I'm hoping my rifle range grade earphones and a quiet ambience soundtrack will be enough to lessen the sound of when it goes.
              Thanks for the compliment! It was hard to decide on a name, so am glad you like it.

Comment

• fastlooner
                • Oct 2017

Hi sonarloon, I read in another post of yours that you're blind and that's why a balloon popping would be bad, since you wouldn't be bale to find all the pieces. I'm not sure your level of visual impairment, but if it's possible maybe try putting some soft blankets in your bathtub or shower and riding your balloon there. If the balloon does pop (which is unlikely if you under-inflate it) the pieces would be confined to the shower. As others have said, the bigger the balloon, the more weight it can support. Good luck looning!

Comment

• Meililoon
                  aka lyckr
                  • Sep 2014

A Q24 should in theory be able to take more weight. Inflate it to 20-22" and place it on your bed or a mattress and enjoy the ride

Comment

• sonarloon
                    • Jun 2017

I had this crazy idea of purchasing a small camping tent and air-bed just for this kind of activity. In theory I could go to town and pop all the balloons I ever wanted, with minimal cleanup afterwards as hopefully the shards would be in the tent, not all over my room.
                    So I take on this first ride in about 3 hours. I'm super nervous...

Comment

• sonarloon
                      • Jun 2017

Well, it's some time later and I have an update.
                      Unfortunately I chickened out as I knew I would. I could, at most, force myself to put 20 pounds of my weight. Ugh.
                      If I would have to give a reason I think it was for fear of the loud noise if I got too rough or something went wrong.
                      I guess there's attempt number two to look forward to, thanks for your encouragements thus far, everyone!
                      It's just going to be one of those things I have to work myself up to, to enjoy fully.

Comment

• b0f0s0f
                        • Nov 2016

The tent idea is great, I'd definitely go for that if you want to try popping.

Comment

• sonarloon
                          • Jun 2017

Only real problem is not enough room to put one together in the house, and I was never taught how to put one together. Otherwise I'd totally get one and have a blast (haha, see what I did there?)
                          Plus, the shreds would be inside the tent, not all over the floors so cleanup would, hopefully, just be a matter of very carefully escaping the tent and putting it away for next time.
                          Oh gods, I so want to have my own place right now...

Comment

• Enigma
                            • Aug 2017

Find to buy small earplugs to cover the noise. Buy small balloons to overcome the popping sound.

Comment

• Meililoon
                              aka lyckr
                              • Sep 2014

I'm sorry, but what do you need a tent for? Sitpopping doesn't usually create that much of a mess. Not anywhere near as much as a blow to pop anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎