Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boom&Bust
    • Jan 2021

Anyone else feel embarrassed about the neighbours hearing the noise

I've read a lot about people being worried about the neighbours hearing them popping balloons, but they only seem to be worried because they think their neighbours might complain.

I never hear anyone talking about feeling embarrassed about the neighbours hearing.

This is my problem.

My neighbours make a lot of noise themselves, so I doubt they would care about the noise of balloons popping. So I don't really feel worried at all about them complaining.

But, I just feel so embarrassed about them hearing. I'm living in terraced housing and it's quite easy to hear through the walls. So not only will they hear balloons popping, they will hear a lot of the squeaks too.

They know I live here alone, so they're going to be thinking there's a grown man next door, bouncing on and squeezing balloons until they pop. They will either think I'm strange, or they will know it's a fetish. Everyone knows each other so they will probably talk about it to each other. I don't want to broadcast my fetish to the whole street.

I would give anything to be able to pop balloons, but this issue means I can't, it's really frustrating.

Anyone else feel embarrassed about the neighbours hearing squeaks and bangs?
    Last edited by Boom&Bust; 06-01-2021, 23:36.
  • Cho
    • Mar 2019

Re: Anyone else feel embarrassed about the neighbours hearing the noise

I personally wouldnt mind that much. Especially in bigger cities there are plenty of possibilities that could make a load sudden noise. And even in a small town, most people dont think of a popping balloon at first. If that would happen to me i would guess there are some kids igniting firecrackers or something, and not at all balloons.

Comment

• BYGavia
      • Dec 2017

Yeah, I’d wager that 99% of people won’t be like, “They’re probably doing something sexual in there.” Hell, as Cho said, they may not even ascribe it to one particular source.

I’d worry more about bugging them at unreasonable hours.

Comment

• Boom&Bust
        • Jan 2021

My favourite ways of popping produce very loud squeaks, and I think it's that noise combined with the bangs that will give it away.

But I could try and pop them in ways that don't produce squeaks though.

I may do some tests. Like putting different size inflated loons next to a soldering iron, turning the iron on, and then going downstairs to see how loud they are when they pop, I'll go outside too.

Comment

• wildheart
          • Apr 2015

The squeaks might not even be that audible from next door. Generally higher pitched sounds don’t travel as well through walls as lower sounds. If you’re really worried, make a popping room with sound dampening. Can either be cushions, blankets and duvets, or proper dampening foam if you can afford it. Bangs won’t be quite so noticeable either.
          How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
          My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• aron_crow
            • May 2020

This is the really big problem, often times I had to quietly deflate them so as not to arouse suspicion. Popping under big blankets does help sometimes though, but it takes away the fun of it

Comment

• Danniballoon
              • Mar 2018

It's never been a problem for me, however I'm moving in to a flat shortly and it will become more of a problem now. I'm going to use condoms instead. They barely make a noise, just a sort of 'snapping' sound that I doubt they would hear, downstairs.
              I like playing with them and popping them more than regular balloons anyway, as it happens On the downside they are more expensive, but I'm not overly bothered as I already have a big stash of them

Comment

• BalloonblowerNYC
                • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Boom&Bust
                I've read a lot about people being worried about the neighbours hearing them popping balloons, but they only seem to be worried because they think their neighbours might complain.
                I had security getting into my room in a NYC hotel (before I moved to NYC) because a balloon popped while I inflated it...

This was embarassing. Security saw the balloon shards and laughed.

Comment

• Cho
                  • Mar 2019

@BalloonblowerNYC
                  They were propably alarmed because someone thought you shot somebody and were laughing in relief. I'm quite sure they were not making fun of you ^^

I don't know if that suspicion is because you were in NYC or in the US in general, but in Europe, where guns are not that to get ahold of, most would think it's a misfiring car or something like that.

Comment

• craggy2012
                    • Jan 2012

Just spent a few nights humping n popping balloons with wild abandon in my digs whilst I’m currently away with work thinking the place next door was empty so I was really letting go riding hard n bursting stuff. Went to get into my my car early this morning n I clocked this light on and this guy walked out of the place!

Comment

• heaviest
                      • Jun 2018

Not a problem in my place, but in the apartment of a friend we do think about it. I also like the noise skin makes rubbing on vinyl toys, and we intentionally do that very loudly, too.

The pillow of single-chamber air mattresses pops very loudly. We worry the neighbors may think it's something else, and are prepared to have to tell the police what happened LOL.

Comment

• Boom&Bust
                        • Jan 2021

So over these last few weeks I've acquired some balloons.

Here's the stash, I've got them packed loosely in a vacuum sealed bag, which isn't actually vacuum sealed because I've heard that balloons need to be able to 'breathe'. I'm going to look more into the best way to store them so they will be okay for the long term, just in case I wont be able to do anything with them for a long time.

SAM_4774.JPG

I started off with buying around 90 12 inch Gemar balloons from Tesco, you get 10 in a packet and they're quite cheap, so they didn't cost much.

SAM_4791.JPG

Then a couple of days ago I received 50 18 inch Karaloon balloons from ebay.

SAM_4784.JPG

SAM_4789.JPG
                        Last edited by Boom&Bust; 13-01-2021, 17:13. Reason: pictures came out too big

Comment

• Boom&Bust
                          • Jan 2021

And today I picked up 100 18 inch Chrome balloons from the post office that I got on ebay.

To my surprise they came loose in a box, and what was even more surprising is that they look really big, bigger than the 18 inch Karaloons, if I'm not mistaken (it's been many years since I last had balloons) they kind of look like they might be 24 inch or bigger. Some ribbon also came with them.

SAM_4793.JPG

SAM_4795.JPG

Here is a picture of one next to a 19 inch Karaloon and a DVD for size comparison.

SAM_4801.JPG

Tomorrow I should be receiving 50 16 inch Qulatex balloons from ebay.

I've been noting when my next door neighbours go out, because I'm hoping there will be a day and time where they're usually both out for an hour or more, then I would feel a lot more comfortable with popping.

I'm also going to do some popping sound experiments too, see how loud it is downstairs and outside.

And, if there never is any particular day and time when my neighbours are out for long enough, and I can't find a way of doing quieter pops, then I guess before I'm able to have balloon popping sessions I'll either have to wait until I have new neighbours on each side of me who work and so are out during the day time, or get soundproofing, or become rich and move into a house which is on it's own.

I'll report back here with my findings.
                          Last edited by Boom&Bust; 14-01-2021, 00:28.

Comment

• Common Loon
                            • Aug 2020

Those look really nice! I think they mainly look bigger because the Karaloons use a fluted shaped round mold (a boxier shape that folds in on itself when it's uninflated). These look like they'll be more of a classic pear shape which is really good to see at this size!

Comment

• Boom&Bust
                              • Jan 2021

Hey TCL, I remember you from the UKLooners forum. My username on there was The Masked Looner.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎