X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonarloon
    • Jun 2017

should I discard these?

Hey all,
    It's been awhile since I've been down in the balloon locker. I've just been thinking though if I should be a bit concerned over the condition of my qualatex q24s?
    I was lucky enough to be able to buy some of the last batch made, which if memory serves I believe was made, on the production line, in like 2014? I got them in very early 2016 along with two bags of q16s and some q18s a few months later.
    They are doing very well, by the way. And aren't stored quite as nicely as the q24s. Ahem, let me backtrack. The packages of them are, though I will occasionally leave a few uninflated ones hidden in my undergarment drawer and play with them later on.
    As for the q24s, I have them sealed in a vacuum ziplock sealed bag, and many are still in there original packaging.
    The room temperature they are located in can range anywhere from 50 degrees f to about 68 degrees f, 10 to 20 degrees Celsius.
    I go through about 7 to 12 a year, mostly because of my fear of popping one, and the absolute fear that one may be unlucky enough to shred into thousands upon thousands of mostly hard to find shards. I live with my folks still, and I'd rather not have to explain what are all these tiny bits of balloon all over the place?
    I can say this though, nothing feels more amazing than riding a qualatex q24 to me. I finally did it. A pair of ear muffs and earplugs later, though still.
    Is it too late for the remaining balloons I haven't opened yet? Is there some kind of tactile or other non-visual test I could perform in the future?
    Thanks people!
  • sonarloon
    • Jun 2017

Re: should I discard these?

*sends box of air*
    Lol.
    I just took out an 18 incher to play with a few hours ago, inflated nicely with no issues at all. I am going to assume the rest of my qualatex in general are ok for a while.
    I really should try to be braver around these q24s though.

Comment

• snh61
      • Sep 2017

Qualatex loons have very long shelf life, belbals do too.

Throw away any chinese cheap junk and likely all tuftex.

Comment

• Tracy
        • May 2018

Qtex made 24" balloons well past 2014. But their older balloons, if stored properly, should be good for quite a while!

Comment

• sonarloon
          • Jun 2017

Aha, I thought somewhere I read said the last batch was officially produced in 2014. IS there any way to find out when my specific batch was made?
          I bought them from a 3rd party seller who managed to get some of the last of the q24s they made, if that's any clue. I'd imagine if my 16s and 18s are fine, so are the q24s. Haven't really tried riding them in recent days though.

Comment

• sonarloon
            • Jun 2017

Yup, I've got the original packaging. They came as a pack of 5 each. I'll grab one and see if I can find the date,.
            Thanks for the info!

Comment

• LoonerPlanet
              • Nov 2018

I store my Q24 in the basement, out of the light. They still inflate nicely, even the ones that I have inflated one or two times before.

Comment

• PBK
                • Mar 2019

They should be fine. I store mine in Rubbermaid tubs in a closet in the basement out of light and in a cool corner of the house and I have air conditioning in the summer. I've had balloons of certain brands from 8 years ago inflate just fine.

Comment

• Meililoon
                  aka lyckr
                  • Sep 2014

I bought some Q24s from Loonerworld back in early 2016 and they're still just fine.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎