Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimbob59
    • Aug 2018

Danger of PVC smell

Does anyone have info on this? Some inflatables smell very strong, especially IW ones when inflated in a room even if the window is open. I saw a few articles about the smell being harmful. But I also read here of people spending hours in a room full of inflatables. Is there any consensus on this such as which vinyl is more toxic or how long you should stay in this smell at most?
  • BalloonBoyUK
    Banned
    • Dec 2018

Re: Danger of PVC smell

There are some claims and some evidence that PVC products and vinyl inflatables will slowly over their lifetime, leach-out small amounts of toxins, like phthalates, lead, cadmium, and/or organotins, which can be harmful - especially to younger children.

However, in all honesty, I think as long as you are careful about how and when you use your PVC inflatables, you should be okay. Just as with many things in life, it's all about not doing things to extremes, such as sitting in a windowless room filled with inflatables, and breathing in the air 24/7.

Like you say: use them with a window/door open, if you can. Don't breathe the same air for long periods of time. Drink water and/fluids. And generally, just take care. If you notice any effects on your breathing, or you feel like you're getting a headache, or feeling nauseous, then you may need to take a break, and/or speak to a doctor and see if there is any corrolationg between your use of PVC inflatables and the air you are breathing. But for the most part, you'll probably be okay with using them carefully under precautions.

If you do Google stuff, you'll end-up with a list like this, filled with horror stories and extreme warnings of imminent death/illness, which is probably not what you want. See this link here...

Google Search for the dangers of PVC

The safest solution is use them in moderation, and don't breathe in the same air for long periods of time, as well as try to keep fresh air circulating in the room you use them in to help matters.
    Last edited by BalloonBoyUK; 28-01-2020, 13:45.

Comment

• craggy2012
      • Jan 2012

Stuff was far, far worse during the 70’s, 80’s n early 90’s until they outlawed the use of certain types of Phthalates used in plasticisers used to make PVC soft and flexible- it had a wonderful aroma back then-but at a cost as it was known to be carcinogenic! To be fair though through normal use the risk is perceived to be very, very low to consumers. Your very unlikely to contract something deadly just through laying on a lilo, or sitting in a paddling pool. The risk would go up though if ingesting PVC- i.e. through a child putting a toy in their mouth but the risks to humans is far far greater once the toy was thrown away and say it ends up being sent to landfill. Over time, very gradually PVC breaks down and these Phthalates leech out into ground water which ultimately enters the water cycle. Again the risk is minuscule, but the risk is still ever present.

The far biggest risk though was to those involved in actually making the PVC from it’s raw state vinyl monomer to start with in plastics factories. Vinyl Monomer is far more nasty to human health than the plasticisers added later in the production process to make soft Poly Vinyl Chloride.
      Your more at risk daily from being hit by a bus, or lightning rather than from the combinative effects of exposure to plasticisers over time.

Comment

• Tookus
        • Nov 2019

I've been sleeping on PVC air mattresses for decades, without any harmful effects whatsoever. The anti-consumerist lobby has been attacking inflatables, and trying to use horrific scare tactics since the 60s. Most of it is propaganda, anyone can claim anything on "google", with no evidence at all, and people will believe it. The fear mongering is getting worse everyday.

Comment

• craggy2012
          • Jan 2012

I wouldn’t worry about it to be honest, I’ve been around them since the mid 70’s n I’m still here, I’ve not gone mad, nothing’s fell off..... yet lol!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎