Largest you've ever stretched a 24" beach ball with just your weight?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heaviest
    • Jun 2018

Largest you've ever stretched a 24" beach ball with just your weight?

What's the largest you've ever stretched a 24" beach ball with just your weight? Have you ever measured? How do you measure?

I measured for the first time today. I used a measuring tape and measured pole-to-pole. I've measured the pillow end of single-chamber air mattresses before, because those are my favorite to pop, but this is the first I've measured a beach ball, though I have done a visual comparison with an unstretched ball before.

Today I got an intex 24 to 32 inches before it developed a leak. I started with a ball that held my full weight for several minutes. Figured I had good stock After I reinflated it I added weight very slowly, but got up to my full weight again! They almost never survive that. I weight almost 600. From there I used only part of my weight. I probably blew into it four more times, never inflating it very hard.

Once I felt the leak I got off of it. I'm just not into popping them once they leak. I like the pops to be unexpected.

Do you have a strategy for getting the largest stretch?
  • heaviest
    • Jun 2018

Re: Largest you've ever stretched a 24" beach ball with just your weight?

Oh, what the hell. I just laid on it with my tit over the hole and kept going. I got it to 34 inches before it developed a fast leak on a seam I wasn't protecting. The first leak was so slow I couldn't find it until I put weight on the ball. I'm still surprised that isn't where the seam split.
    Last edited by heaviest; 23-06-2018, 16:09.

Comment

• heaviest
      • Jun 2018

I got another one stretched to 34". At that size I can put as much weight as I dare on it and it doesn't stretch any more. I can barely get my fingers under the valve, even after I've had weight on it. But I got it that large without leaks, so I'm letting it rest and I'm going to see how close it recovers to its original size, which is 25". Once I've learned that, it'll be stretched again, and this time I'm going to use more weight to get past 34". I suspect it's just going to pop, though.

Comment

• OverTheTop
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by heaviest
        I got another one stretched to 34". At that size I can put as much weight as I dare on it and it doesn't stretch any more. I can barely get my fingers under the valve, even after I've had weight on it. But I got it that large without leaks, so I'm letting it rest and I'm going to see how close it recovers to its original size, which is 25". Once I've learned that, it'll be stretched again, and this time I'm going to use more weight to get past 34". I suspect it's just going to pop, though.
        Have you tried heat stretching them? Might soften it enough to squeeze a few more inches out of it, although it might just make it too weak to handle the pressure.

Comment

• heaviest
          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by OverTheTop
          Have you tried heat stretching them? Might soften it enough to squeeze a few more inches out of it, although it might just make it too weak to handle the pressure.
          I've gotten a 24 to 37 inches easily by heat stretching and I'm sure it could have gone larger than that, but I didn't particularly enjoy it. And they don't hold much weight at all when they are heat stretched. In fact an ordinary 36 inch ball won't hold me. The 24's are stronger.

The point of this exercise was to see how large I could get it by stretching it with my weight. I got the second ball to 34 inches before it leaked. I don't seem to be able to do more than 34 inches by weight alone.

Comment

• Bamman27
            • Jan 2019

I have a toy to lend if youre up for the challenge, email me ariglib@gmail.com

Comment

• kosmos
              • May 2017

Originally posted by heaviest
              What's the largest you've ever stretched a 24" beach ball with just your weight? Have you ever measured? How do you measure?

I measured for the first time today. I used a measuring tape and measured pole-to-pole. I've measured the pillow end of single-chamber air mattresses before, because those are my favorite to pop, but this is the first I've measured a beach ball, though I have done a visual comparison with an unstretched ball before.

Today I got an intex 24 to 32 inches before it developed a leak. I started with a ball that held my full weight for several minutes. Figured I had good stock After I reinflated it I added weight very slowly, but got up to my full weight again! They almost never survive that. I weight almost 600. From there I used only part of my weight. I probably blew into it four more times, never inflating it very hard.

Once I felt the leak I got off of it. I'm just not into popping them once they leak. I like the pops to be unexpected.

Do you have a strategy for getting the largest stretch?
              I actually got 24" Summer Fun brand beach ball,heat stretched to 29", Using (boiling water)in a Cordless Stainless Steel Kettle (it had an odd acetone type smell it was very soft from the beginning).

When it started to get a bit hard,i was afraid of the seams splitting, so i used HH-66 Industrial Strength Vinyl Cement, it's smelly but it really reinforces the seams. Unfortunately i got carried away and it just popped with a rapid escape of air.

Im thinking of trying the glue with a Intex 6 FT beachball i have, and see how big i can get it.

Comment

• heaviest
                • Jun 2018

FWIW these were the ones with the alternating clear panel instead of white. The one I recently did was the white panel version, and although they feel less stretchy, I got that one to 33 inches resting size unloaded, and it still had more stretch to it. It popped, though. But I'm sure I can do better than 34 inches. Loaded I measured 82 inches around before it popped.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎