Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrbloon
    • Sep 2018

What kind of balloon is this?

Found this whilst searching the net, it is from some vintage prints for sale on Ebay. Its entitled Press Photo Women trying to blow up a balloon at a bingo parlor contest"

If that is correct its a very strange balloon and I have never seen anything like it.

Does anyone know any more about this type of balloon? It looks like an early worker balloon.

s-l160gg0.jpg

s-l160hh0.jpg
  • npratt
    • Jul 2016

Re: What kind of balloon is this?

I don't know, but it certainly falls into the category of "Balloons you wish would make a come back".

Comment

• Dust of the Saturn
      Stretched like space-time
      • Feb 2018

honestly it doesn't look like regular latex. I think it is more plastic like since those chambers look kinda solid and not so rubbery.
      And I ask myself, why? and all I hear is the cold, dead silence of the cosmos.

Comment

• loonerlee
        • Dec 2018

Would or could it be something Tilly made

Comment

• Nopops4me
          • Jun 2015

Whether it's latex or plastic, it's certainly something that expands as part of it isn't inflated in the second picture.

Comment

• john1bl
            • Jan 2014

Before the rise of decorator balloons, There was balloons as toys and noveltys. There were many shapes and sizes that was made by many companies. The sucess of Pioneer balloons have killed the toy balloons market by buying off the compotition.

Comment

• Danniballoon
              • Mar 2018

Originally posted by john1bl
              Before the rise of decorator balloons, There was balloons as toys and noveltys. There were many shapes and sizes that was made by many companies. The sucess of Pioneer balloons have killed the toy balloons market by buying off the compotition.
              You are not wrong, there. Back in the 80's I remember going to a local wholesaler and bought loads of balloons that Everts used to produce of all shapes and sizes. Since balloon decorating took off, they dropped most of their range of novelty shapes and just concentrated on decorator balloons. Even my beloved Fantasia brand of balloons were changed. They went from being soft and stretchy to hard and thicker. Presumably they used additives in the latex to retain helium better.

Comment

• Common Loon
                • Aug 2020

Originally posted by john1bl
                There's definitely something to be said about how the balloon market has shifted in the last 50-odd years. Somehow, though, I feel that the effects are primarily felt in the USA and that you still see more interesting balloons being produced and sold elsewhere across the world.

The US balloon culture has definitely evolved from "balloons can be cool toys too!" to "balloons are for decoration only and you shouldn't even blow them up by mouth" in the span of my lifetime

Comment

• john1bl
                  • Jan 2014

I think the bubble wrap the kids and helicopter parents kill the balloons as toys era. I can understand being risk avers but things have gotten redicilous.

Comment

• yet_another_aussie
                    • Dec 2019

I miss the days of more balloons. If i'm lucky now I see some oxidised tiny spheres on sticks in shops. Cruel fate would have balloons disappear just as i'm not scared anymore

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎