Helium balloons no more

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helium balloons no more

Has anyone noticed the slow decline in the amount of helium balloons used in general? I remember years ago there'd be way more at the shops, birthday parties, on people's letterboxes when they're having a party, handed out for free at big events etc.

I guess with reasons such ranging from the increase in helium price and environmental factors has slowly meant that helium balloons are becoming less and less of a thing and garlands more and more. No hard feelings to those that like garlands, but for me nothing compares to a bunch of tightly inflated helium balloons, all floating up and tapping each other with a slight breeze.

It's kinda sad, but that's what the world is going to hey.

Thoughts anyone?

Re: Helium balloons no more

I can't say that it's a thing that I have noticed, but it's most because of the fact that helium balloons weren't that common of a thing for me where I grew up. I can't actually recall a single time I've seen latex helium balloons out and about. Like the only example I can think of is at some furry conventions. Other than that nothing comes to mind. It is a shame though because helium balloons are my preferred type of balloon due to me perceiving them to be "safer" as they are often floating in open air instead of hanging on a wall or on one of those balloon sticks.

Comment

• izzyrob
      • Oct 2018

Yeah I think it’s the price, combined with the growth of air-filled decor like garlands over the past few years. The issue with helium is that it obviously escapes faster than air, so you’re spending a lot of money/effort on something with a short lifespan. Meanwhile a professionally made garland could easily last 3+ weeks and doesn’t have any of the helium cost associated. For most people it’s an easy choice.

Comment

• AJK64
        • Jun 2018

Helium is becoming scarce. Outside of filling balloons, helium is really useful in the science and tech industries. We use it in our laboratory as a coolant. There is a problem of we run out of helium, because we cant easily replace the worlds supply of it.

Comment

• Common Loon
          • Aug 2020

Yeah, as others have said, it's mainly about scarcity and increasing price of helium. In the US when I was a kid helium balloons were way more common as giveaways -- because back then, gasoline cost 79 cents per gallon and it seemed like natural resources would last forever!

It also seems like businesses operate on much slimmer profit margins nowadays. Marketplaces are so crowded and prices for supplies have increased much faster than the prices consumers will tolerate paying... so every business is looking for ways to trim excess costs. Even if helium were still the same price it was 30 years ago, I think we'd still see a lot of places looking for cost-cutting alternatives like using plastic balloon sticks.

Comment

• Loonorm
            • Mar 2019

It’s weird that this subject came up the last couple of days now…. Yesterday, Friday 7 January, with my part-time job, we delivered some 150+ 12” helium balloons for a music themed birthday party. Each of the 15 tables had a 3 or 4 helium balloon center piece, there were at least 4 6-balloon pieces spread around the venue. Plus there was the balloon wall for photos that had at least 50 or so helium balloons! I know that on NYE they delivered to quite a few venues, helium balloon displays.

Comment

• Tracy
              • May 2018

Yeah the cost is definitely an issue for sure. I've had a helium tank for about four years and the price to fill it has gone up about 60-70% during that time!

I also wonder if part of it may be an increased sensitivity on the part of retailers/restaurants/etc. to latex allergies... but that is entirely speculation on my part.

Comment

• LoonerHoax
                • May 2020

Big cost jump a few years ago in helium. The US government controlled the price for a long time. Towards the end of Obama's reign, the government control of helium was ending so the price started going up. Some other supply chain issues also caused the price to go up significantly. Nowadays, I think it is an unwanted expense for most companies that might have used helium balloons as little as 4 or 5 years ago. I usually use the medium (110cf) tanks from my supplier. She charges me less than $100. For a large tank (244cf) it is only like $130. If I am planning to have some fun, the cost is totally worth it. Much better value than the Balloon Time tanks.

Comment

• Seasidelad
                  • Sep 2018

Based in the UK and balloons seem to be around less an less even before Covid hit. I guess with helium there is the rising cost too. Also balloons being let go and then they return back down and I know if they are traced to a company lawsuits can follow for livestock choking on them. I never really took to helium balloons as they don’t stay up as long prefer balloons inflated by air but if I was out and someone was giving them away I couldn’t say no. I prefer printed balloons but I never worked out why but I always did.

Comment

• heliumsitr68
                    • Nov 2021

I have heard stories of helium filled Mylar balloons causing power outages from getting tangled in the lines ,
                    Popper ! I love helium balloons

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍