They are still sources for phthalate based plastic - Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Thud Joe
    • May 2017

They are still sources for phthalate based plastic - Thoughts?

Hey all, just letting everyone know that if people want to find phthalate based inflatables, that they still can be found if one knows where to look.

I recently was looking for some inflatable thongs on the bay. There was an auction selling 36" yellow inflatable corona flip flops, and judging by the pictures, the PVC looked like it was the old shiny phthalate kind of plastic. Unfortunately by the time I got to it, 19 were already sold, with only 1 left, making the $50 shipping to Australia unjustifiable.

Somewhat annoyed at the situation I decided to do an experiment; it was a case of that it's not gonna hurt trying. I signed up to Alibaba, and then filled out a REQ (a quotation request for manufacturers). As 36" beach balls are my main fetish, I decided to go with that, stipulating in the brief that the plastic used needs to be phthalate based. Along side other particulars like 0.15 thickness, glossy PVC, and the desired colours, I sent my REQ off, and well.... crossed my fingers.

Within two days, two quotes were received to my absolute amazement, both manufacturers stating that they still use phthalates in their plastics. I know when i used Alibaba a long time ago, one has to send $100 to the manufacturer for getting a sample made. However, as I've just cleaned out another online store that had some phthalate based beach balls left over I'm alright for a wile.

However, if someone wants to take up my leads from Alibaba, they are more then welcome. I'm NOT posting them here at the moment, just incase it may come across as spammy, but my ultimate point is, please DO NOT dispare, as there is still that good old PHTHALATE heaven out there.

I think more broadly though, is there some kind of way where leads and resources could be shared? Maybe already if somebody has "reliable" leads, a group of looners can chip in together to get a number of units of the desired inflatable made.

For example; for some reason, thin shiny inflatable flip flops are very hard to come by, and only seem to show up as promotional merchandise on ebay from time to time at exhaubadent prices.

The more common inflatable thongs over the internet seem to be made of the thicker / frostier PVC which is a real turn off, material is almost like canvas. I would like to get some 72 inch inflatable flip flops made, preferably yellow with the black rope, like the one pictured above, but I'm open for suggestions, different colours.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Big Thud Joe; 26-05-2017, 04:31.
  • craggy2012
    • Jan 2012

Re: They are still sources for phthalate based plastic - Thoughts?

You can still get vinyl that contains or is formulated with phthalate based plasticisers, most unlined PVC fetish gear (like rainwear) is often made from it. The restrictions on phthalates applies to items designated as toys that a child could easily put into there mouth, i.e. an inflatable, or a plastic car, a doll etc where there is an obvious risk of ingestion of the plasticiser. They obviously don't expect adults to bite, chew or put put fetishwear into there mouths though.... if you do, well that's your own adventure lol!

Comment

• Big Thud Joe
      • May 2017

Yes craggy, you're on the money there, and that makes perfect sense. The problem is the myths and inaccuracies that many of these green lobby groups are spreading over the internet regarding phthalate based plastics being harmful for the environment. Only saw one of these articles the other day on E Zine Articles, and couldn't believe the rubbish it was spouting. I'm just worried that eventually this stuff is going to spell the death of phthalates completely. Just hope I'm wrong.

I always fantasize about going to bed during spring or autumn, having one of those huge flip flops rapped around my naked body.

Personally yellow and black are a turn on in this context, because the actual two pairs of normal wearing thongs I do have are those colours, and there is just a very nice connotation about having huge inflatable replicas of them.

But having said that, I wouldn't exactly say no to...... I don't know..... blue and yellow, blue and black, gold black and transparent? I've just never been able to get my hands on these things.... ever.

I might just go ahead, and get a quote for getting a hundred made. If the price is reasonable, I may just finance the whole thing my self. I shouldn't imagine it would be no more then about $1200 to $1500 US? I've give it a shot next week and report back.
      Last edited by Big Thud Joe; 27-05-2017, 00:34.

Comment

• kosmos
        • May 2017

I agree with you for some reason Intex, and others (i guess due to pressure from users and markets) are phasing out over 5 chemicals used in inflatables, most are plasticizers.
        The hubbub is that when the inflatable is thrown away (and when manufactured) and it's exposed to the weather the chemicals leach out, same with kids using it, people are worried kids are getting the chemical and being harmed.
        I mean if that is true why are we still using PVC pipes in some places?

I think its good they are trying to be "green" but that isn't the way to do it, making thicker material for inflatables that last longer is better than throwing away crappy ones?

I'll try to see if i can take a pic of a box that was saying that on the bottom about it.

Though like you researched in china, there are still manufacturers who would do it. Why? You can manufacture pretty much anything there..

Comment

• OverTheTop
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by kosmos
          I agree with you for some reason Intex, and others (i guess due to pressure from users and markets) are phasing out over 5 chemicals used in inflatables, most are plasticizers.
          The hubbub is that when the inflatable is thrown away (and when manufactured) and it's exposed to the weather the chemicals leach out, same with kids using it, people are worried kids are getting the chemical and being harmed.
          I mean if that is true why are we still using PVC pipes in some places?

I think its good they are trying to be "green" but that isn't the way to do it, making thicker material for inflatables that last longer is better than throwing away crappy ones?

I'll try to see if i can take a pic of a box that was saying that on the bottom about it.

Though like you researched in china, there are still manufacturers who would do it. Why? You can manufacture pretty much anything there..
          The plasticizers they're phasing out are usually added to make things softer and more flexible, they're not used in PVC piping. They're being phased out because ultimately they've decided that the health of the environment and their customers matters more to them than making a pool toy a bit more flexible and stretchy. In China, the regulations are more lax so they don't care as much.

Comment

• Big Thud Joe
            • May 2017

Originally posted by kosmos
            So if I understand you correctly, they are more elements to an inflatable that make it soft and stretchy then just phthalate.

So when you say five chemicals, I'm imagining phthalate. xxxxx. xxxxx. xxxxx, and xxxxx? So would I need to be researching what the other four chemicals are, or am I not grasping this properly? Just wanting to know, so I can make sure all the boxes are ticked if i get a batch of these flip flops made.

Comment

• Riftwing
              • Jun 2017

I might be interested in investigating this, although I feel like maybe it would be more cost-effective for us to do this as a joint thing? If we have two or three people, then the costs might be more manageable.

I've been really aching for some old style rubbery stretchy squeaky inflatable toys lately, and with them becoming harder and harder to find, it might be worth seeing what some of these Chinese manufacturers can do.

Comment

• Big Thud Joe
                • May 2017

I think what we need is a chinese looner, someone who can articulate the qualities were looking for in an inflatable to these manufacturers. I know when dealing with some of these factories about four to five years ago, many of the proprietors used translation software for emails and so forth which I think may have muddled things up abit.

As in manufacturers to avoid; one guy I was dealing with was rather insistant on using this canvas rubbish, where I done about $400 (four $100 samples). I was trying to get a 72 inch bop bag made, but had to give up as it costed so much money, and sometimes one suspects that they are being milked.

For everyone elses benefit, the company was CoCo from New Time Plastic Manufacturing Ltd. Everytime I submitted my brief regarding colours, thinness, measurements, size, and shape; the configuration brief kept coming back with changes and mods, which I didn't appreciate; as they were the ones wanting me to pay for every sample.

Just on a bit of a side note, I work in fiction copy writing, and with things looking promising, I'm hoping to have some good funds this time next year to fund this myself.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎