Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FireRider
    • Jul 2016

Rubberized Inflatables

So, apologies if this has been discussed before or I'm just missing something, but I'm curious.

I keep seeing so-called "rubberized" inflatables (beachballs, most of the time) that appear far softer and stretchier than normal.
    Now, I wasn't sure if that can be done with a simple heat stretch (stretching the inflatable in question, then letting out some of the air to make it softer), or if there's some other technique behind it that I'm simply missing.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Cheers!
  • Rey
    • Mar 2019

Re: Rubberized Inflatables

You can use a product called clay softener. It contains a certain chemical that softens pvc, although originally designed for clay hobbyists to soften clay. The product I've used is called Sculpey clay softener. I have yet to find a better/cheaper alternative though as it can be pricey for the quantity.

Comment

• Big Thud Joe
      • May 2017

Sounds interesting, but wouldn't softening the PVC makes seams on inflatables more prone to tearing?

Comment

• Toyrider
        • Mar 2018

If you add too much, it can weaken the seams. It makes them feel soft and bouncy, like they are in hot sun.

Comment

• Rey
          • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Toyrider
          If you add too much, it can weaken the seams. It makes them feel soft and bouncy, like they are in hot sun.
          Yep, this is something you have to watch out for. I've used it on a large beachball and as long as you dont use too much you should be fine. That being said, even though I think the results are awesome, I would never use it on large/more expensive inflatables.

Comment

• craggy2012
            • Jan 2012

I’m going to have to try this Sculpty Clay Softener. Sounds interesting stuff.

Comment

• Rey
              • Mar 2019

This guy on youtube is pretty good. Shows you how to reinforce the seams as well as other stuff. This is the video about using the softener https://youtu.be/Ih9IxqLM75s

Comment

• Joe Sixpanel
                • Sep 2018

I just tried the Sculpey clay softener on a cheap beach ball from Walmart. While I'm not sure yet about the "rubberizing" effect, I can say that you shouldn't use it on a clear inflatable. This beach ball had color prints on it as well as a very large warning label. I had forgotten that the printing on these beach balls is on the inside of the ball. All the ink dissolved, and the ball is now a grey-brown mess.

Fortunately, it was just a 97 cent ball.

Comment

• Joe Sixpanel
                  • Sep 2018

^update. After a couple hours, I was able to wash out most of the dingy crud inside the beachball by filling it with about a half liter of hot water and swishing it around. I did that about five times, and now it's practically clear except for rings around the two end caps.

I must say, the ball is very squishy and rubbery now. I'm not sure how much of this has to do with the clay softener versus the hot water, but I like it. I might try another application of the softener later.

Comment

• Rey
                    • Mar 2019

When you applied it, did you make sure to spread it all around the inside, then leave for a few days until it fully absorbs? Strange that it affected the colour of the beach ball. I used 3 bottles on a large 116 cm semi transprant beach ball without any issues.

Comment

• OverTheTop
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Rey
                      When you applied it, did you make sure to spread it all around the inside, then leave for a few days until it fully absorbs? Strange that it affected the colour of the beach ball. I used 3 bottles on a large 116 cm semi transprant beach ball without any issues.
                      It usually only messes with the colors if they're printed on the inside: if the vinyl itself is dyed, that's fine, but the ATBC will strip the prints off if they're printed at the surface.

Comment

• Joe Sixpanel
                        • Sep 2018

Originally posted by OverTheTop
                        It usually only messes with the colors if they're printed on the inside: if the vinyl itself is dyed, that's fine, but the ATBC will strip the prints off if they're printed at the surface.
                        This ball colorful prints all over the clear vinyl, in addition to the large warning label printed in black ink that covered one entire panel. All the inks were printed on the inside.

However, now the ball is a perfectly clear bubble and incredibly soft and stretchy. I must say I'm very happy with the product. I used about 1/4 of the one ounce bottle. I would probably use a little less next time, especially for a 20" ball.

Comment

• OverTheTop
                          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Joe Sixpanel
                          This ball colorful prints all over the clear vinyl, in addition to the large warning label printed in black ink that covered one entire panel. All the inks were printed on the inside.

However, now the ball is a perfectly clear bubble and incredibly soft and stretchy. I must say I'm very happy with the product. I used about 1/4 of the one ounce bottle. I would probably use a little less next time, especially for a 20" ball.
                          Yeah, the results are really nice. Just be careful not to overinflate it too much, the vinyl is soft and stretchier but will still tear at the seams if you push it.

Could you post a picture of it? I'm curious whether the ink was completely removed or if there's any gunk remaining at the bottom.

Comment

• Joe Sixpanel
                            • Sep 2018

Originally posted by OverTheTop
                            Yeah, the results are really nice. Just be careful not to overinflate it too much, the vinyl is soft and stretchier but will still tear at the seams if you push it.

Could you post a picture of it? I'm curious whether the ink was completely removed or if there's any gunk remaining at the bottom.
                            I'll try to post a picture soon. There are still tiny dark rings around the end caps where the vinyl overlaps, but other than that, it is perfectly clear.

I'm always careful about not overinflating - even when I'm overinflating This beach ball actually scares me a bit because it is so much like a balloon now.

Comment

• bolgaim
                              • Jan 2020

A cheaper alternative to Sculpey is Cernit Magic Mix. Has the same effect as Sculpey, but comes in a larger bottle (80 ml). I have used this several times on various toys with success.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎