X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SusieDK
    • Dec 2017

Balloon 'Octopus'

Hi,

This afternoon I made a little test to see how todays Qualatex and Tuftex balloons shred up, when they get blown up too much. During the test I stumbled across a phenomonem I find pretty cool myself, and this is that whenever a balloon is blow until it pops it quite often happens that one of the shreds - I think the one with the 'far end' of the balloon - where there often is a little 'dot' on the inflated balloon - forms a quite big shred looking (a little) like an octopus or maybe a spider, - just with more arms/legs.

I find this pretty cool, - I don't really know why - I just do. I wonder whether or not anybody else shares this feeling?

I made a pic of it to better illustrate what I am babbling about:

It was a Tuftex 17" Balloon btw

Thank you for reading my posting.

Sincerely
    Susie
  • Sl33juhrLooner
    • Jan 2019

Re: Balloon 'Octopus'

Sometimes it happens, think it depends on the balloon type too! The 17" Tuftex seems to do this all the time. The 14" one usually disintegrates when I do a B2P.

It is fun to see though.

Comment

• wildheart
      • Apr 2015

I’ve seen this with U16’s. It’s probably because the end of the balloon (the drip point I think it’s called) is made of slightly thicker latex.
      How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
      My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• Bubblyzzz
        • Jul 2017

I've seen this a number of times! Love it...means the bang was incredible!

Comment

• srob2
          • Dec 2017

This is great.

If the balloon is big and tight enough, the whole thing disintegrates into tiny pieces. If it pops prematurely, you get a few big pieces. In the middle, you get a big piece opposite where it popped with shards attached, and closer to the pop, you just get tiny pieces.

Balloons are made thinner where you blow and thicker on the opposite side. This way overinflated balloons burst near your mouth and fly away from your face - instead of the bulb bursting and putting shards in your eye.

Comment

• srob2
            • Dec 2017

Here is what a b2p looks like. I doubt she got an octopus, but you can see where it comes from if the shards held together.

Comment

• Bubblyzzz
              • Jul 2017

omg love it!

Comment

• SusieDK
                • Dec 2017

Hi,

Thanks alot for the various comments. It is very nice that others show interest and find my posting worth while commenting. Also thank you for the lovely pic! I have seen this kind of pics - and also super slow clips - before. It looks extremely cool when a balloon pops!

When I think about it I have noticed that the bigger balloons (16” and up) are more likely to ‘produce’ these octupus-like shreds. Tuftex do it more often than Qualatex, maybe because Qualatex balloons don’t have an especially significant drip point.
                It is also my experience, that round balloons practically always pop away from my face; the explanation of how this can be seems very logical. Bonus thing is that one is only very rarely hit in the face when blowing to pop a Balloon.

Finally a comment about the pic with the girl caught with the balloon in ‘mid pop’: This balloon probably won’t produce a ‘far end octopus’, but it looks as if it is about to form another kind of ‘octopus’ - which coul be called a ‘mouth piece octopus’. This is also pretty cool and happens quite often with good quality balloons - also the smaller ones.

Sincerely
                Susie

Comment

• lex
                  • Apr 2019

Turns out there is some science behind this https://www.latimes.com/science/la-s...105-story.html Apparently it matters if you care about how things shatter / explode and making them safer. Susie, maybe you've got a second career as a scientist ahead of you!

Comment

• wildheart
                    • Apr 2015

https://physics.aps.org/articles/v8/105 The published paper for the more scientific minded. Also includes high speed video of the processes. Very interesting.

Edit: Actually this is just a summary. For the actual paper, you’ve got to have a subscription. Still more info than the article above though
                    Last edited by wildheart; 02-06-2019, 15:30.
                    How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
                    My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• pinpopper
                      • Mar 2019

great picture of the octopus. I also like the name a balloon octopus.

I always like it when I am cleaning up after popping and find an octopus or two. I think that one was at its max. Alternatively I find one that just a sheet an think. that could have taken more.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎