Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    • Nov 2016

US Helium Shortage

Anyone else in the United States effected by the helium shortage? A couple party stories in the Philly area haven't had any for a few weeks, and the workers say there's no end in sight.
  • PBK
    • Mar 2019

Re: US Helium Shortage

I always have a full-sized commercial helium tank on hand at my house. There have been occasions where my local gas vendor has been unable to sell me helium because they can't get it. It's a bit frustrating but it's the sign of the times. There will be a time likely in my lifetime when Helium just won't be used in balloons anymore. Humans use far more than what is extracted and eventually The Earth will run out. Before that happens likely all available He will be directed to scientific and medical uses only. I'm spending the money on it and enjoying it while we can still get it.

Comment

• Carlos
      • Nov 2016

That's a good idea. Any pointers on buying my own tank?

Comment

• PBK
        • Mar 2019

Visit your local gas vendor (Google search or yellow pages) and set up an account. You'll have to pay a deposit for the cylinder, likely pay rent for the cylinder and buy the actual gas. You'll have to purchase your own regulator and it's not a bad idea to have a cart designed for compressed gas cylinders. To transport the cylinder (as per US DOT and Transport Canada regulations) you'll need to transport the cylinder secured upright in a truck (although the product isn't liquified so they might let you lay the cylinder down). I'd recommend you buy lots of Hi-Float to get the best bang for your buck with the helium. Without the Hi-Float your balloons will sag quickly. With the Hi-Float you'll get weeks and months out of your balloons (I have 36" Q-tex's that are still floating 8 months after inflating. 17's usually last as couple months).
        2 Helium vendors in my area are Praxair and Air Liquide but I'm sure that varies area by area.
        Good luck and enjoy!!

Comment

• Tracy
          • May 2018

Originally posted by Carlos
          That's a good idea. Any pointers on buying my own tank?
          PBK certainly seems to know his stuff. If you don't want to rent, and want to buy your own tank, a couple bits of caution:

1. Do not buy used. Almost all used tanks on eBay or Craigslist or whatever are actually rented tanks that were at a worksite or a party store when it went out of business. But those tanks have codes etched into the sides that indicate who the actual owner is, and no reputable gas supply company will fill them.

2. Even if you are ready to buy new (or from someone who can assure that you are in fact buying an unowned tank), make sure your local helium supplier will fill it. Most do, but some won't fill tanks for non-commercial customers.

Good luck!

Comment

• john1bl
            • Jan 2014

The tanks may or may not have the previous owner on them, but they do have a DOT inspection date stamped on them. It is required to be in date for the tank to be filled! The ones on fleabay or whatever may have to be inspected before they can be filled. This can cost some money and if the tank fails it is useless. Most of the wielding places will only rent you a tank so that they can keep up with the inspection and have a central place to fill them. The rent that you pay is to cover the cost of inspections and replace the tank in time. I have never seen a helium supplier have the filling equipment on site. I have got the best prices at a wielding supply and not at a gas house!
            Last edited by john1bl; 09-03-2019, 00:28.

Comment

• PBK
              • Mar 2019

Yeah, I don't even bother with owning. What Tracy stated is true. Neither of the gas suppliers in my city will fill the tanks, just exchange them. I just rent them and return them empty and pick up a new, full one (if the gas supplier isn't out and telling me a story about how they can't get it because of the global shortage) and so far it seems to be working good. I own my regulator and my gas cylinder cart, though. Where I live the welding supply companies ARE the gas houses. Lol.

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
                Banned
                • Dec 2018

Here in the UK, we have to hire. You basically set-up an account (you don't need to be a business), and then contact the supplier and tell them what you need. They then supply you with the gas, which you will then be invoiced for, and have a month or two to pay it off. Depending on how you've set-up the account, and your own financial preferences, you'll either need to return the cylinders/tanks of helium within 28 days, or if you keep them longer, pay the relevant fees.

The only problems I've encountered, is that:
                1) It's expensive. If you want to hire a decent-sized cylinder, and keep it indefinitely, you're looking at about £350 just for the first cylinder and yearly rental charge, and then another £175 per cylinder thereafter.

2) If you don't have access to a car or truck a lot of these hire places are in the arse-end of nowhere, and most won't deliver the cylinders to you. So, you'll need to find someone who can help you take them to your home/collect them and return them for you. Most UK taxi's won't take the medium and large sized cylinders, and many won't even let you take the small ones either. So it's a real pain, if you don't have someone willing to help you out.

That said, if you can sort out the money, and the transportation, it's the best thing you'll ever do. Having access to helium as often as you want (albeit at a price), is a Godsend!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎