X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasimpleusername
    Semi-popper
    • Jul 2018

Re: Self-detonating balloons

Citric acid will NOT work. Yes, oranges and lemons can pop balloons, but it's because of the limonene - a substance that is able to dissolve latex.
    It is possible to distill it from the orange peel, but not many looners do have a distillation aparatus at home with precise temperature control
    Pure limonene diluted in a solvent (reeallyyy diluted) can pop the balloons after 5-15 minutes, deepnding on the concentration or the amount sprayed and the thickness of latex.

Comment

• SusieDK
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Katielynn
      .... But that seems to be an inconsistent approach. Sometimes it happens, but most of the time they just sit there all tightly inflated and begging to be burst, but they almost never do. Maybe they just need more air? I dunno. .....

Maybe it’s just my perception, but it seems like when I blow up a balloon, the body always feels “tight” once it gets to a certain size, but it never really gets hard to blow. Maybe I’m not paying enough attention or I’m too eager to btp by that point, but I’ve never really had that thing where you blow into it and it just gets firm without getting big. I can get big long necks sometimes, even to the point where there’s nothing to put my lips around; but I always feel like I can still get more air in. It’s never hard for me to blow, if that makes sense? ....... Anyone willing to try and coach me?
      Hi,

You definitely need some more air Besides you need to practise getting it right. I mostly use Q11 balloons at school, but for decorations I mostly use 14" balloons, - Belbal or Tuftex.

About the back pressure thing it is a rather subtle feeling. The balloon does grow, just not as much as at an earlier stage of the inflation. It does get harder to blow - but not - with a few exceptions - that hard. You can still feel it though, but yes you need to pay attention and not just go for the bang.
      How clearly it is felt depends on the balloon. Some - like the Q646 airship - resist very much, others not by far that much. Again it is a question of practising (and of course paying attention) to hit the point right before the balloon pops.

I don't know if this is helpful, but this is about what coaching I can do.

Sincerely
      Susie

Comment

• srob2
        • Dec 2017

You know how doing b2ps, sometimes it pops between breaths? The goal is to do the same thing, but tie it before it pops. Usually it is very hard to tie these. If they aren't a breath away from a b2p, they won't pop on their own.

You won't be able to use these for a party, unless you keep blowing them up. Very few that make it past an hour will ever pop on their own.
        Last edited by srob2; 04-06-2020, 17:10.

Comment

• Slugamano
          • Jul 2016

An other physical experiment: Ultraviolet light destroys the chemical connections like the connections in the vulcanize rubber. Take a cheap Chinese CFL lamp and put the tightly inflated balloon close to the UV source. After a while – half an our or so – the balloon will pop spontaneously.

Comment

• marja

I really love your contribution Susie!
            I have had spontaneous balloon popping of random balloons I just inflated, but I always considered this an event due to the balloon being defective, or because of the balloon toughing something sharp.
            I never thought of the possibility of this being "normal" when you overinflate the balloon. Can you explain the physics behind this in some more detail?
            I usually tie my balloons after releasing some air, to make tying more easy. But if I want random pops (yes, please!) I should try to tie them as big as possible. Good to know! Thanks a lot!

Comment

• Bubblyzzz
              • Jul 2017

Random pops at a party would be so fun!

Comment

• LoudPop
                • Sep 2018

Long time ago, I hosted a Superbowl party and invited several couples (close friends). I blew-up good quality balloons super tight and tied them in clusters around the house. It was so awesome when a balloon would just explode randomly. Pow! Everyone nearby would flinch like a firecracker had popped underneath them. Loved it! One lady asked "Why did you blow these balloons up so big? They pop so loud." I just smiled and said I like them big and tight.

Comment

• Katielynn
                  Expert Blower
                  • May 2012

Yes! This is exactly what I want. I want people
                  To wonder whether what they just heard was a tight balloon exploding into a million sheeada, or a random firecracker they didn’t see anyone light. It sounds like from all the advice I’ve gotten I just need to learn to blow them a bit bigger/tighter and then hope for the best.
                  I love to hear the BOOM!

Comment

• Vicci
                    Blown to bits
                    • Oct 2009

You'll have to show us how you get on
                    Vicci x

Comment

• Tracy
                      • May 2018

Late coming to this and surprised that nobody has mentioned it...

Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) eats through latex. But not instantly. My understanding is that it takes some time (I'm sure some of our experts here have played with this or have learned it the hard way.) If you find that it causes your balloons to pop after 10-20 minutes, perhaps you could just put a little of it on your finger and dab it off on some balloons as you walk through the room. And then a little while later, BANG! And... BANG! etc.

Comment

• Dude1234
                        • Sep 2017

A q boom would be quite good for this sort of thing. you attach it to a part of the balloon that isn't visible and when you want it to explode press the button and it explodes. Its a servo with a pin on it and you can rig multiple ones to go at the same time. I have always wanted to get one but don't know where there sold

Comment

• Balloon with a Pin
                          • Dec 2019

I’d be very interested to see what works best. The petroleum jelly seems like a neat idea and I have yet to try lemon or orange juice.

Comment

• Smelter12001
                            • Nov 2015

Well the 4 of july has came and gone did you have any luck with the self detonating balloons. We didn't have any balloons where we celebrated, but it would have been fun.

Comment

• Loonatic
                              Balloons + Feet
                              • Apr 2016

Curious, any luck with your party popping plans, Katielynn?

Comment

• Katielynn
                                Expert Blower
                                • May 2012

Hi all!
                                Sadly, no luck getting spontaneous pops. I’m sorry boys.
                                We tried the various things suggested here, but nothing worked. Maybe I didn’t do it right. The petroleum jelly and citrus sprays never worked, but smelled a lot (bad and good, respectively. Lol). Juice from an orange worked, but burst them right away (fun!). I tried to over inflate a few and tie them off, but none of them went off on their own (well; one did when I kicked it. Hehe!)

We still had a great party. Lots of fun, lots of booms, and too many drinks. We did manage to keep our bro competition alive though as the winner got to choose shots for the losers. Good times. USA!
                                I love to hear the BOOM!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍