Old 16-07-2017, 12:10 AM

Chris Rock is on a distinguished road
Question Bad experience trying to overinflate a 11 inch balloon
Hi. I don't usually play with balloons but I tried 2 weeks ago to overinflate a typical 11 inch balloon with my steam pressure cleaner. It didn't work... I'm not sure why, but I tried several times to do it (inflating / deflating) and the balloon didn't grow up as expected. It didn't even became softer. It just got wet and with water inside. I'm a "rider" but I can't pop balloons since I'm scared of the bang. However, I like to ride and sit pop beachballs and usually enjoy a loud and dry bang on them.

What do you think was wrong? I know I can boil them (I tried once) but I thought this was a better method. Moreover, I usually overinflate my beachballs by this and it works fantastic.
Old 16-07-2017, 08:28 PM

OverTheTop is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience trying to overinflate a 11 inch balloon
For stretching balloons what works best for me is baking them in the oven. Heat it to 290F, and once it's preheated put the balloons in on a baking sheet for 5-15 minutes depending on how stretchy you want them to be. Make sure that it's a new balloon, used ones tend to become too weak. Blow it up as soon as you can once you take it out, while it's still warm (It takes less than a minute for them to cool down enough to hold)
Old 18-07-2017, 12:04 AM

someloonerguy is on a distinguished road
OverTheTop's suggestion of baking works well for stretching. I baked some Tuf Tex 17 inchers last night. Look at how much it swelled while remaining very soft, stretchy, and stable.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg bakedtuftex.jpg (233.2 KB, 108 views)
Old 18-07-2017, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by someloonerguy View Post
OverTheTop's suggestion of baking works well for stretching. I baked some Tuf Tex 17 inchers last night. Look at how much it swelled while remaining very soft, stretchy, and stable.
Glad to hear it worked, how long did you bake them for?
Old 26-07-2017, 10:58 PM

someloonerguy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by OverTheTop View Post
Glad to hear it worked, how long did you bake them for?
About 12 minutes. Worked well for some, but others were of questionable quality and didn't fare so well.

Right now I'm trying to figure out a good time for the Amscan 24 inch. Tried 12 minutes and they weren't affected. 20 minutes made them extremely weak and caused pinched latex to happen, which was fatal. Just tried 15 minutes, gonna see what happens.
Old 27-07-2017, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by someloonerguy View Post
About 12 minutes. Worked well for some, but others were of questionable quality and didn't fare so well.

Right now I'm trying to figure out a good time for the Amscan 24 inch. Tried 12 minutes and they weren't affected. 20 minutes made them extremely weak and caused pinched latex to happen, which was fatal. Just tried 15 minutes, gonna see what happens.
Generally I've found that if it takes longer than 15 minutes the latex is pretty low quality and won't stretch very well anyways.

You can try some other methods though. Blow them up nice and tight a couple times, and then try baking them. Also, after blowing them up a few times, you can try putting them in a ziploc bag in a clothes dryer on high heat for about 30 minutes.