Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Helium1234
    • Dec 2016

Where do they all go?

So was thinking after this Valentines day the stores around me have SO many balloons even at the end of the night. Ever wonder where they all go after the day is over? Anyone know?
  • craggy2012
    • Jan 2012

Re: Where do they all go?

That’s a good question as latex does have some sort of a shelf life. They can hardly put them back in the stock room till next year so I’d say the staff probably get to take some items home (like in stores when a given promotion ends).

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
      Banned
      • Dec 2018

I suspect actually a lot of shops (as opposed to balloon decorating stores) will actually keep the stock for one year. If balloons are stored well, and under the right conditions, then they can be kept for a year or two.

Some shops, may have what is known as "sale or return" with their distributors: any stock that isn't sold, and is unopened, can be returned back to the wholesaler or distributor, and they will be credited the original purchase value of the balloons.

A few stores, simply sell any stock remaining cheaply, to anyone who will buy them, if they cannot do either of the above.

But the vast majority of shops/chain stores, will be able to return unused stock back. In the case of foil balloons, these will be deflated with straws, kept flat, and brought out for next time, or returned back to the distributors/wholesalers.

Staff may be able to buy some, but I doubt they'll be sold off dirt-cheap to staff, if the store can get a full refund from their distributors/wholesalers, or stock can be kept until next year. Especially in the current economic climate, with retail stores desperate to eek out every single penny they can.

The days of stock being disposed of cheaply to customers/staff each year, have sadly long gone. At best, you'll get a 50% discount, but you need to be very quick to get that deal. Most stores now, will have cleared away Valentines stuff, before the shop shuts on the 14th, with stock being tidied away, before customers can be lucky enough to get it cheap. Shops don't want customers getting things cheap, unless you are very lucky. (See my post last week, about UK Card Factory stores, selling off Valentine's Foil balloons cheaply.)

Comment

• Helium1234
        • Dec 2016

I know I saw walgreens always has a 50% off valentines day items the next day and lucky enought to have some loons and some of those huge 28 or 36in mylar ones too.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎