Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loonpop
    • Dec 2020

Re: Rescued Balloons

I have often rescued balloons from a local car showroom when the various promotions are over; the manager is a friend and he is delighted when I take the balloons away.
    Last edited by Loonpop; 16-12-2020, 15:49. Reason: Not to offend non-poppers

Comment

• Daddy
      • Sep 2020

Yeah, you're probably not going to find anyone else who busts balloons in the Non-popper forum.

Comment

• tomarjo
        • Mar 2014

I have one story here, a gas station was celebrating 50 years, and they had these massive balloons. I asked if I could have them when they were taking them down, but they said no they were going to keep them for later use.

Ok, I guess it makes sense as they are quite expensive. So I leave them be and respect the decision. When I come by the morning after, they are just about to take them down so I figured I would ask again just to be sure. As the lady was grabbing the wire to take the balloon down, I ask if it was possible to get atleast one maybe.

She looked at me, looked at the balloon and then she said that no, they were going to pop them. I ask her gently if I couldn't have one, and she laughed saying, no she wanted to burst them because it was so much fun. She then proceeded to grab the scissor and pop it right ifront of me laughing. Then she went to some colleagues, saying that there was a guy that wanted some of the balloons. They laughed, and ran to the other balloons and popped all of them infront of me laughingly :/ Some people are just evil :|
        Attached Files
        Last edited by tomarjo; 13-12-2020, 13:36.

Comment

• Danniballoon
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by tomarjo
          Then she went to some colleagues, saying that there was a guy that wanted some of the balloons. They laughed, and ran to the other balloons and popped all of them infront of me laughingly :/ Some people are just evil :|
          That really sucks

Comment

• Blowitbig
            • Jan 2016

Mean people suck
            The bigger the better

Comment

• npratt
              • Jul 2016

There's a station to never buy gas from again. Esso? I don't recognize the language - Svensk?

Comment

• blfun98
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by tomarjo
                I have one story here, a gas station was celebrating 50 years, and they had these massive balloons. I asked if I could have them when they were taking them down, but they said no they were going to keep them for later use.

Ok, I guess it makes sense as they are quite expensive. So I leave them be and respect the decision. When I come by the morning after, they are just about to take them down so I figured I would ask again just to be sure. As the lady was grabbing the wire to take the balloon down, I ask if it was possible to get atleast one maybe.

She looked at me, looked at the balloon and then she said that no, they were going to pop them. I ask her gently if I couldn't have one, and she laughed saying, no she wanted to burst them because it was so much fun. She then proceeded to grab the scissor and pop it right ifront of me laughing. Then she went to some colleagues, saying that there was a guy that wanted some of the balloons. They laughed, and ran to the other balloons and popped all of them infront of me laughingly :/ Some people are just evil :|
                That's nasty but I guess it was their right to do so. They wanted to have fun popping them to scare you, most people don't know or understand that some people have a phobia, they just like to have fun scaring people a bit with the pop, and express their dominance and confidence over others. As you would have liked to enjoy the balloon in your private as a guilty pleasure, they enjoyed being sadistic. Just like someone would make a prank scaring an arachnophobic with a fake spider. That's a bit evil to do, but I think anybody should learn a lessons from these experience to try to overcome their fears, like a warrior. Or you could just backfire the prank. When they scare you try faking an heart attack, or seizures. That's an evil thing to do, but serves them right... he who laughs last, laughs loudest.

Comment

• Loonorm
                  • Mar 2019

Originally posted by npratt
                  There's a station to never buy gas from again. Esso? I don't recognize the language - Svensk?
                  ESSO — it’s the saying of the letters S.O.. There’s a name for it, of which I cannot remember. Anyhow S.O. stood for, at one time, the Standard Oil Company. In 1911, the U.S. Supreme Court broke up the (original) Standard Oil Company, into 34 separate firms. The Standard Oil Company of New Jersey marketed under the ESSO trademark in the Eastern U.S. until 1973 when it introduced the EXXON name for use in the States. EXXON uses the ESSO brand throughout the rest of the world. Sorry for the long winded explanation, but I collect gas station memorabilia, and have always liked the ESSO/EXXON brand.

Comment

• Danniballoon
                    • Mar 2018

These were outside a local house in summer. They eventually oxidised and deflated quite a bit, then some kids came along and popped them :-(
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Danniballoon
                      • Mar 2018

Found some more recently, blowing about outside the local flats Initially, I saw a white one, then once I'd rescued that a pink and green one appeared which I also rescued.
                      Unfortunately, the pink one popped, the green one punctured and deflated, but I did get to ride the white one
                      I've tried repairing the green one with some liquid latex, so I'm hoping that I'll get to ride that, too.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• PBK
                        • Mar 2019

We have Esso gas stations here in Canada.
                        On a side note when I was a boy we had a gas station brand called Turbo and they used to give out very large (I'd guess 17") pastel balloons with their logo and a cute character printed on them.

Comment

• Gunnapop
                          • Oct 2020

Asking at dealerships is easy as most just seem put out by the request. For years I would drive past a local Lia dealership and see their 17" branded balloons on the lot. I've always wished I had a reason to ask. One day, they were hosting a food drive for a local pantry. I went to the store and bought a box full of canned goods. It cost me ~$18 USD. When I brought the box in, I was met by a sales person happily approaching me. Jestfully, I said "you have some fantastic balloons and I will trade this box for some". I was told that they keep the helium ones for display. I instantly replied "no, I was looking for some uninflated ones'. The sales person went in the back and I waited for quite some time. When I was about to give up thinking I was being pranked....that person came walking back with a bag. I excitedly thanked them and walked back to my truck. Opening the bag.....I began counting. 68 17" AdRite balloons. I was thrilled beyond belief. This is when I found that those QTex brand AD balloons get massive. They must be the biggest 17" out there. Needless to say, with the helium shortage they no longer put balloons out. I am tempted to go ask if they still have any. I can just imagine boxes of them just sitting there.

Comment

• RainbowYarn
                            • Jan 2020

Always been able to get balloons from car dealerships. They are always happy to give some away, even blowing up new ones for me.

Comment

• Helium1234
                              • Dec 2016

Now how do we rescue all the valentines day balloons.. hmmmmm

Comment

• Loonorm
                                • Mar 2019

Originally posted by Helium1234
                                Now how do we rescue all the valentines day balloons.. hmmmmm
                                Helium1234....I have been able to get many mylars from a couple of local Jewel Food Stores, floral department, a day or two after V-day. Last year I was able to get about 10, or so, at no cost! They just wanted to get rid of them! As I got to the store, people were just walking out with them. So try that...local florist might have some extras ‘on the cheap’!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎