Old 09-01-2020, 01:28 AM

PBK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Has anyone ever filled a GL with helium?
Originally Posted by TooBigToFail View Post

Not to mention that bringing in a GL to a Party City screams "Looner"! The less public attention we get, the better
Who cares? None of their business.
You're paying money for a service. If it's within their policy to fulfill the service then what you do with your property is none of their concern thus how the individual employee judges you should be the last worry on your mind.
Opinions are like assholes. We all have them and some stink worse than others.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:35 AM

Smothered by tits is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TooBigToFail View Post
Not to mention that bringing in a GL to a Party City screams "Looner"! The less public attention we get, the better
You got to remember that most people don't know that the fetish exists.
So all they see is a guy with a lot of cash to spend and a difficult time ahead of him trying to get it into his car.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:20 PM

BalloonBoyUK is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Has anyone ever filled a GL with helium?
Originally Posted by PBK View Post
You're paying money for a service. If it's within their policy to fulfill the service then what you do with your property is none of their concern [SNIP]

You are correct about both things, but to be fair to the stores, I can't see many stores of any kind be willing to fill-up a GL700/1200 with helium. That'd probably exhaust their entire month's supply of helium.

That said, how much helium (and Hi-float) did you end-up using, just out of curiosity? It must've been a lot, and the cost must also have been pricey too.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by BalloonBoyUK View Post
You are correct about both things, but to be fair to the stores, I can't see many stores of any kind be willing to fill-up a GL700/1200 with helium. That'd probably exhaust their entire month's supply of helium.

That said, how much helium (and Hi-float) did you end-up using, just out of curiosity? It must've been a lot, and the cost must also have been pricey too.
Not to brag, but I make a comfortable enough salary that even with its ever-rising cost helium for personal use isn't a bank-breaker. That being said, my cylinders last a long time because I rarely fill anything larger than a 36". And 36's rarely get filled because when using Hi-Float I've had them stay afloat for up to 9 months. They take up lots of room and rarely need replacing. The majority of what I fill is Tuf-Tex 17's, Tuf-Tex 14's and to round the bunch out a Tuf-Tex 24 the odd time. Every once in awhile in, say, the summer for a kid's birthday party or when we're having a block party or garage sale or something like that I'll fill a couple of 72's (they really get people's attention) but in addition to the helium they take a good cup of Hi-Float, last FOREVER and occupy a lot of space so they pretty much live outside or in the garage after the event is long over.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:51 PM

BalloonBoyUK is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PBK View Post
Not to brag, but I make a comfortable enough salary that even with its ever-rising cost helium for personal use isn't a bank-breaker.

My apologies, because I absolutely wasn't trying to infer anything in my previous post. So if it sounded like I did, that was absolutely not my intention. I was just envious and curious.

Here in the UK, helium is expensive. Hence why I was curious as to how much gas a GL was going to use. If you have the money/gas to do it, then I have no issue with you doing that.

For me, though, I keep my balloons inside for safety, because the weather is so varied, but also because I live in a block of flats, and I don't want other people to see them. But that's just me.

One final thing, if I may: when you fill a 36" with helium and use Hi-Float, how many pumps of Hi-Float do you use, because I use three pumps worth, and although I underinflate my balloons to around 32"-33" in size, at best, they stay floating for three or four months max.

Any advice, from you, would be hugely appreciated. Cheers.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
My apologies, because I absolutely wasn't trying to infer anything in my previous post. So if it sounded like I did, that was absolutely not my intention. I was just envious and curious.
No apology necessary. I just stated that right now the price of helium isn't really an issue so we use a lot of it and therefore enjoy it.

Quote:
Here in the UK, helium is expensive. Hence why I was curious as to how much gas a GL was going to use. If you have the money/gas to do it, then I have no issue with you doing that.
It's expensive here in Canada, too. However, I don't have any other expensive hobbies or interests (except shooting. Ammunition is getting crazy expensive) so that's what I budget for.

Quote:
For me, though, I keep my balloons inside for safety, because the weather is so varied, but also because I live in a block of flats, and I don't want other people to see them. But that's just me.
For the most part, I keep them inside, too. Sometimes in the summer I'll put them outside to oxidize them because I absolutely love oxidized helium balloons. And, as stated above, the 60" and 72" balloons the very rare time we do them with helium usually stay outside.

Quote:
One final thing, if I may: when you fill a 36" with helium and use Hi-Float, how many pumps of Hi-Float do you use, because I use three pumps worth, and although I underinflate my balloons to around 32"-33" in size, at best, they stay floating for three or four months max.
I think we probably overdo it with the Hi-Float. We have the large dispenser that fits in the 2 Litre jugs so the stroke is quite long when you pump the dispenser. 3-4 pumps, full size inflation (neck and all), Qualatex 36's. I have a gender reveal and a mint green 36 that we inflated last summer and they're still going strong.

Quote:
Any advice, from you, would be hugely appreciated. Cheers.
No worries. Cheers!
Old 11-01-2020, 02:39 AM

JR Looner is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Has anyone ever filled a GL with helium?
I have filled a GL500 with helium. It holds about the same amount as a 36 inch round. The balloon only held the helium for about 3 days before it was on the ground. Keep in mind that I did not use Hi Float before adding the helium.