Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SirSquishy
    • Mar 2020

Baking gym balls

Has anyone tried baking gym balls in the oven to make them inflate larger and feel softer/squishier? Any success, or tips for anyone that's thinking of doing it? What does it feel like? Would it even work, or would it just melt the gym ball? Currently not in a situation where I can pull something like this off. Someday soon though...
  • PompousBalloon
    • Mar 2020

Re: Baking gym balls

It sounds hazardous. If the gym ball is made of plastic I wouldn't do it.

Comment

• SirSquishy
      • Mar 2020

After doing 5 mins of google research, they can be made out of vinyl. Apparently, heating vinyl can cause dangerous fumes. I'm not sure at what point the fumes occur, how hot it would have to get. So if I do heat stretch a gym ball, I'll be sure to do so safely.

Comment

• Danniballoon
        • Mar 2018

As an electrician, I was told not to burn PVC cables as they give off poisonous chlorine gas. Gym balls are made out of the same stuff. What about using a steamer or boiling water like you would heat stretch a normal inflatable? Might just need a bit more pressure in the ball, to help it stretch.

Comment

• Danniballoon
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by onemoreblow
          I wonder if the same chemical people use to stretch their vinyl pool toys will work on larger and thicker gym balls.
          Interesting point

Iv'e got some (Sculpey, they call it here) and also a gym ball... maybe I should try it

Comment

• SirSquishy
            • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Danniballoon
            As an electrician, I was told not to burn PVC cables as they give off poisonous chlorine gas. Gym balls are made out of the same stuff. What about using a steamer or boiling water like you would heat stretch a normal inflatable? Might just need a bit more pressure in the ball, to help it stretch.
            If the PVC heats to a certain degree, regardless of how it's being heated, wouldn't it still give off the same gas? Although if it's fully submerged in water, that might not be an issue. I'm not a chemist or engineer at all so not sure how that would work.

Originally posted by Danniballoon
            Interesting point

Iv'e got some (Sculpey, they call it here) and also a gym ball... maybe I should try it
            Let us know how that works. I am very interested in the results.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎