Phobics, which experiences made you fear balloon pops?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Common Loon
    • Aug 2020

Re: Phobics, which experiences made you fear balloon pops?

Originally posted by Ryan556
    Sometimes if we got haircuts our place used to have a helium tank and would give balloons to the kids which they stopped doing years ago. But I can remember having a very over blown balloon from the haircut place and then exploding out of nowhere a while later which scared the living crap out of me.
    Relatable. As a young phobic you get to learn where all the helium tanks are, especially in unexpected places, so you can give them a wide berth. Walking through the mall when I was a kid, there was a children's shoes store that had one of those scary-looking clown-mouthed helium tanks... and there was the dentist's office where the tank was hidden away around a hallway corner... and the buffet restaurant which didn't have a tank but somehow would just give away these mega-tight air-filled 12"s, not even on a stick or anything, so you can guess how long those lasted after they left the restaurant

In the US anyway, things are very different now, 20-30 years later... far fewer family-owned and independent shops and restaurants now, our shopping malls are becoming ghost towns with a few meganational chain stores still hanging on. Helium balloon giveaways are almost completely nonexistent, and there are only a couple chain stores now that hand out air-filled balloons on sticks: a burger joint here, a waterpark there. Really, mostly it seems like people don't spend much time just hanging out and shopping and eating in one place like they used to.

Comment

• SusieDK
      • Dec 2017

Hi there,

I became phobic when I was only three years old. My dad gave me a balloon to play with. I remember it as a big, red balloon, but probably it wasn’t especially big - it just seemed so because I was so little. I had never had a balloon before and as I remember it not even seen a balloon, so I just played around with it - totally unaware that it could pop. I batted it up into the airagain and again, but suddenly it exploded with a huge bang and scared me to absolutely no end. I still have a vivid memory of the balloon floating gracefully down through towards the bed and then exploding in mid-air.
      This was how I became my long lasting phobia of balloons. As time went by my fear got mixed up with fascination and a certain envy of those who weren’t scared of balloons, but just seemed to have a lot of fun with them. lLater the sexual aspect showed up, and today I can hardly get enough of balloons, and I know nothing better than blowing them up to see how big they can get, before they pop.
      It never stops to amaze me how something I was once so incredibly scared of could end up becoming a source of such immense pleasure.

Thank you for reading my posting.

Sincerely
      Susie

Comment

• Common Loon
        • Aug 2020

Originally posted by SusieDK
        I still have a vivid memory of the balloon floating gracefully down through towards the bed and then exploding in mid-air.
        Uggh my earliest memory of the phobia as well was a balloon just popping for absolutely no reason by itself. Pink, 9" probably, clown face print (possibly related to my loathing of clowns too? lol).

The idea that an inanimate object could decide -- on its own! -- to terrify the crap out of me? For toddler me it was like the premise of a lifelong horror film. Like every birthday party would be decorated with dozens of secretly murderous Chucky dolls. shudder

Comment

• Blowitbig
          • Jan 2016

I can remember a few times when i was a child, when i had a balloon, someone would always seem to come up to me and bust it ,
          The bigger the better

Comment

• Tracy
            • May 2018

I've been phobic of loud noises as long as I (or my parents or anyone around me) can remember, with no clear triggering event of which I was conscious. My mom actually believed I got it before birth. I was born in early August, and that year my very pregnant mom went to a July 4th fireworks display. She said I was kicking her insides so hard when the noise began that she had to leave the show.

Comment

• l00nerboy14
              • Jan 2020

I like your "tank" analogy!

Comment

• l00nerboy14
                • Jan 2020

That's crazy!

Comment

• Scooter
                  • May 2022

~Just a casual rezzing of this thread~

I actually had an interest for balloons before I got a fear of them. My mom would take me to this non-chain dollar-store (that's no longer in business) if I was good during her shopping. One of the things they could do was blow up balloons. So we'd go and I would get a balloon and I'd take it home. I don't remember any of these actually bursting, so they probably just sat in the corner of my room until the helium wore off and my parents would get rid of it while I was out. I was a good child and I never played with them hard or anything; I just like carrying them around. The end result was that I loved balloons, but didn't know they could burst.

That was until I was four or five or so. I have a little sister, and by this point she was old enough she could come along with my mom and me on shopping trips. And one day we shopped in the area near this dollar store while managing to not totally piss our mother off, a rare feat. She decided we should both get a balloon for our good behavior. I got a blue, my sister got a purple one, and we went home. I went through the front door with it first, and made my way towards the kitchen. I looked behind me at the perfect time to see it happen...

Despite what this build up would suggest, this was not actually my sister's fault. She went through the front door as well with her balloon. It's just... we have an outer door that automatically shuts, and unfortunately the smaller outer door closed at the perfect moment to catch her balloon in the doorway behind her, pinching it, and causing it to burst with a loud bang. My sister did not notice until it burst, and it happened too fast for my mom to catch the door and save it. But I happened to turn and watch in horror as the balloon swelled and popped because of the door.

My mom then went and comforted my sister because it was her balloon that popped, but I was there struck by the realization that not only could balloons pop, but that it'd be loud and surprisingly easy to do. Our door wasn't that strong. It took a bit of time to process. I do not remember anything of my balloon after that point. But the next time my mom offered to take me to the dollar store, I remember making the conscious decision "No." I no longer wanted a balloon. It wasn't because I didn't like them, but the threat of them bursting was too much for me to handle, and I became worried at the thought of the employee blowing one up too much. Then as a kid you learn that other kids horseplay with balloons when they have them, so it just reinforced the idea balloons were scary objects in other peoples' hands. It seemed like everyone else only wanted to pop them, or mess around with them without worrying about them popping.

I don't know if I would've become afraid of balloons popping without this event, but it's interesting it's one of my earliest memories (certainly the oldest I can vividly remember). I've never told my mom or sister this was likely what caused it, and on the odd occasion where it's been questioned I've lied and said I don't remember when.

But I still did like balloons. Just not in others' hands. It's hard to explain that (ESPECIALLY when so young), so it just became "I'm afraid of balloons". The interest that remained would lay dormant for years, but would eventually be what would lead me to the fetishy side during puberty.

Comment

• robertsky
                    • Oct 2022

Hello guys!

I was always scared of balloons and when I was younger I tried to avoid all possible parties with my friends. I knew that, balloons would always have been there and I knew they would have popped them. Being surrounded by lots of balloons and knowing there are lots of people ready to pop them, it has always been something which frightened me (and it provoked tachycardia, a sense of "lost" and I could not focus on anything else except for balloons).

I thought, with time, I would have been able to overcome that fear and I started to pop some balloons recently making some sit to pop. I was very proud of myself. I thought I would have been ready to start joining again those social moments that I used to avoid during my youth. Unfortunately, I discovered things did not change much.

I joined a birthday party on Saturday and there were lots of balloons (I would say 100+ probably) used to make wonderful decorations! I really loved them and the beauty balloons can bring in environments.
                    The location of the party was a basement, without windows...so you can imagine how loud the pop of a balloon could have been down there.

Overall I really enjoyed the party even though the presence of all those people around balloons was making me scared. Therefore, I spent most of the time chatting and drinking with people outside, in a terrace (where there were no balloons). I was feeling "safer" there and I did not need to be constantly worried looking at all the people around balloons (people with balloon phobia know what it means and how stressful it can be).

At one point we all went down in the basement and I started to see people removing balloons from the decoration and throwing them down on the floor. I was feeling really uncomfortable and my heartbeat started to increase and I was constantly focused looking up to all the people because I was so scared they could have started to pop balloons. Unfortunately, it happened. Some guys started to stomp on balloons and the noise they made was incredibly loud. Some girls got scared but they seemed to not worry at all and they kept going on. I just run away outside, with my heartbeat super high and I was like in a "confused state". I was terrorised, even though I tried to hide my feelings because, at the same time, I was so ashame of myself and this made things worst.

When I heard that they stopped popping balloons I went down again but, from that moment, I was continuously focused on people around those balloons that were still on the floor and on the wall. I was so afraid they would have started to pop them again, from one moment to another.

After a while, they did it again. They started to pop more and more balloons and I run away again. I went outside, in the terrace. The noise of balloons popping could be clearly heard outside and, even though I was "far" from where they were being popped I was still scared because I imagined people popping them.

This memory still bothers me, after 3 days. It bothers me because during the months previous to the party I tried to get over to the balloon phobia and being also ready for this party. I got upset seeing that I did not.

I noticed that when I have the control over the balloons, I can handle my fear. The problem arises when there are lots of people and lots of balloons to control (not to mention the location, we all know there are places in which the noise of balloon popping can be very loud: basements, parkings, etc). It caused me distress. Moreover, the act of "escaping" from a social moment makes me feel guilty and very uncomfortable.

I do not know if you have ideas on how to handle such moments. I am tired of running away from (in-door) parties, feeling "not correct". On the other hand, even thought I am not able to pop balloons myself, this does not help in party environments where I have no control on things. Any suggestions are really welcome.

Thanks

Comment

• johndinga
                      • Jul 2021

Originally posted by robertsky
                      Hello guys!

I was always scared of balloons and when I was younger I tried to avoid all possible parties with my friends. I knew that, balloons would always have been there and I knew they would have popped them. Being surrounded by lots of balloons and knowing there are lots of people ready to pop them, it has always been something which frightened me (and it provoked tachycardia, a sense of "lost" and I could not focus on anything else except for balloons).

I thought, with time, I would have been able to overcome that fear and I started to pop some balloons recently making some sit to pop. I was very proud of myself. I thought I would have been ready to start joining again those social moments that I used to avoid during my youth. Unfortunately, I discovered things did not change much.

I joined a birthday party on Saturday and there were lots of balloons (I would say 100+ probably) used to make wonderful decorations! I really loved them and the beauty balloons can bring in environments.
                      The location of the party was a basement, without windows...so you can imagine how loud the pop of a balloon could have been down there.

Overall I really enjoyed the party even though the presence of all those people around balloons was making me scared. Therefore, I spent most of the time chatting and drinking with people outside, in a terrace (where there were no balloons). I was feeling "safer" there and I did not need to be constantly worried looking at all the people around balloons (people with balloon phobia know what it means and how stressful it can be).

At one point we all went down in the basement and I started to see people removing balloons from the decoration and throwing them down on the floor. I was feeling really uncomfortable and my heartbeat started to increase and I was constantly focused looking up to all the people because I was so scared they could have started to pop balloons. Unfortunately, it happened. Some guys started to stomp on balloons and the noise they made was incredibly loud. Some girls got scared but they seemed to not worry at all and they kept going on. I just run away outside, with my heartbeat super high and I was like in a "confused state". I was terrorised, even though I tried to hide my feelings because, at the same time, I was so ashame of myself and this made things worst.

When I heard that they stopped popping balloons I went down again but, from that moment, I was continuously focused on people around those balloons that were still on the floor and on the wall. I was so afraid they would have started to pop them again, from one moment to another.

After a while, they did it again. They started to pop more and more balloons and I run away again. I went outside, in the terrace. The noise of balloons popping could be clearly heard outside and, even though I was "far" from where they were being popped I was still scared because I imagined people popping them.

This memory still bothers me, after 3 days. It bothers me because during the months previous to the party I tried to get over to the balloon phobia and being also ready for this party. I got upset seeing that I did not.

I noticed that when I have the control over the balloons, I can handle my fear. The problem arises when there are lots of people and lots of balloons to control (not to mention the location, we all know there are places in which the noise of balloon popping can be very loud: basements, parkings, etc). It caused me distress. Moreover, the act of "escaping" from a social moment makes me feel guilty and very uncomfortable.

I do not know if you have ideas on how to handle such moments. I am tired of running away from (in-door) parties, feeling "not correct". On the other hand, even thought I am not able to pop balloons myself, this does not help in party environments where I have no control on things. Any suggestions are really welcome.

Thanks
                      Robertsky, this is such an accurate depiction on how I faced my phobia as well, and it is so distressing and disappointing to feel like you have made progress, only for it to be completely eroded by situations like this.

I had a very similar experience on one of my work placements where we went for drinks after work at Slug & Lettuce. There were lots of balloons around on strings with helium, and I felt okay because noone was near them. The night went on though and some girls pulled on down and started to sit on one, and I couldn't keep myself composed because I was so afraid. I was sweating and literally could not stop looking. I had to leave my friends and run out of the club and I heard the eventual pop which was still really loud even though I was outside.

It just baffled me that people could tolerate and pretend like it was nothing. Surely such a loud noise is distressing to others too? It feels so lonely being the only one with this kind of condition.

I totally understand where you are coming from but I'm afraid the best advice I can give is to be totally upfront with people about the phobia and accept that you will need to miss some events.

I've come to terms with the fact I will never fully get over this and I will always be looking around when in public places, and avoiding situations that could have balloons. It fucking sucks, but to me it's the lesser pain than constantly feeling stressed and constantly feeling like I'm embarassing myself in front of others. Now that I'm old enough to choose to avoid these situations, I choose to do so.

Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Comment

• robertsky
                        • Oct 2022

Thanks so much for sharing this. I do feel less lonely when I know there are other people in the same situation that can totally understand the way I feel.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am not sure being upfront can be the best thing to do: there are people that can make fun of it and start to laugh on your face and other people that won't stop popping because they like to see you scared and they do not know how much such situations can make you feel bad. This makes me feel even more uncomfortable so that I prefer to not give explanations at all and just run away.

Overall, you might be right: avoiding going to social events that imply the balloons might be the best solution to adopt for our own wellbeing ... or simply knowing when it would be the right time to say goodbye and leave.

Comment

• robertsky
                          • Oct 2022

I am also pretty curious on what exactly make you guys scared of the balloon pop and in which occasions you experience more stress?

I have noticed for example that:
                          - Having a couple of balloons popping by themselves is something which scares me for a couple of seconds but it does not cause a strong distress (maybe if the loud is too strong, might be).
                          - On the other hand, being in a party context where there are lots of balloons and lots of people ... this is something that frightening me because I know that they will start popping but I do not know when that will happen. This sense of "unknowing" makes me constantly be nervous, distressed and with lots of thoughts in my mind that do not allow me to live the moment. Even when talking with people, my mind gets somewhere else (on balloons and my eyes on the people I have around)
                          - I can sometimes pop balloons by myself (using earplugs) and making sit-to-pop. I think also because I do not see the balloon under myself. On the other hand, stomp balloons or blowing them up till they burst ... it is something that still frightened me
                          Last edited by robertsky; 04-07-2023, 11:17.

Comment

• Scooter
                            • May 2022

My real piece of advice is that if you're going to an event and there's a lot of balloons around, you've already lost. You're not going to enjoy your time, and are going to spend the entire event worried about who's going near the balloons, and if some are going to pop (accidentally or intentionally).

I totally get the embarrassment of talking about your fear with others, which is why the best way to get around that is to privately talk with the organizer of the event beforehand. Preferably online, so you don't have to even do it face-to-face. Just express your feelings regarding the balloons to them, about how you would REALLY appreciate it if there were either no balloons or perhaps minimal amounts kept to specific areas. A simple "balloons make me anxious, I would rather the event not have them" can work.

If the organizer isn't a total dickhead, they'll see what you're asking is important to you with a simple solution. Or maybe they weren't going to even have balloons after all, and now you don't have to worry about them potentially being there. This is the person with the most amount of power, and the person least likely to laugh at you. And if it's something that can't be negotiated with, then you know not to go.

Now, what if you are unable to do this (due to time or not knowing the person), and you go, and you're unlucky as there's a ton of balloons everywhere? YOU GET OUT OF THERE. If you can. Something came up, you're just dropping by, you can't stay for long, etc. Again, there is no reason for you to be at an event you won't enjoy. Be polite, but save face, and don't beat yourself up over it. You aren't "wrong" for having this fear.

As you've realized, controlled environments are important to working through fear. An event or party with a lot of people popping balloons is NOT a controlled environment. It is in some ways "worst case scenario" for balloon phobics, and should be treated as such. Don't feel bad about leaving if you're not ready for that, as all you're going to do is make things worse. You wouldn't challenge a video game boss underleveled, would you?

Comment

• Kiltieman
                              • Jan 2014

Although I now still have a fetish for balloons this all started at about age 5 when my mum had blown up a yellow balloon and then drew a face on it. We then patted the balloon back and forth and I was doing well till the balloon hit a vase of roses on the dining table. Bang! I was traumatised by the sudden big bang and that my pretty yellow balloon was gone and in bits. My mum picked up the largest remaining piece and blew it into a bubble. I was terrified of balloons till my teens and especially anyone blowing them up in case of a bang. It sounds stupid but I went to the usual parties as a child but ended up in the bathroom when the balloons came on the scene. I found out in my teens that it had reversed and balloons were a fetish for me. They still are.

Comment

• hudi03xo
                                • Jun 2023

I grew up undiagnosed autistic with really poor auditory processing, so the loud bangs like shook me and internally hurt me like centre mass so I lived in fear yet fascination

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎