X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loonatic
    Balloons + Feet
    • Apr 2016

Apartment Popping

My wife and I just got married and moved into our first apartment together, cozy little place with hardwood floors that have great acoustics (first thing I thought when we walked in and I could hear every echo was that a pop would sound amazing in there). The only problem is, while the small place may be great for loud pops, my wife and I worry about the neighbors being able to hear every blow, squeak, and definitely the pops.

My question is, are there any ways to be able to enjoy balloon time together without the neighbors thinking there are gunshots constantly going off or are we just out of luck and needing to find another option for places to pop. I'd really appreciate the help and any advice you could give!!
  • gayloonfcker
    • Jan 2015

Re: Apartment Popping

I'd like to know this too. I'm getting a two story townhouse so that may not be much of a problem but it's still a problem? I'm getting a better bed as well so I'm thinking doing my popping on the bed would lessen the noise a bit?

Comment

• Meililoon
      aka lyckr
      • Sep 2014

I was about to ask a similar question. I did some testing the other night to check how well you can hear a balloon popping when standing outside my house. I put some used 16" Uniques on the pump and ran like hell outside. Turns out they don't go unnoticed.
      I rarely dare to do a b2p, so usually the pops won't be as loud, but ideally I'd like to do something in my bedroom that makes the pop less noticeable from outside. Any tips are welcome

Comment

• Slugamano
        • Jul 2016

I tested our holiday cottage a couple of years ago: I blew some balloons up to their limit, tied them up and opened an inner door totally. The door and the wall formed a triangle-base "tube" and I put the balloons into it but first I put my cold soldering iron to the floor on the stand with the tip upright. Then, I turned a iron on and went out to chat with the neighbors. After about 30 seconds I could only hear a muffled click and then three more but nobody noticed that something strange had happened.

Comment

• gayloonfcker
          • Jan 2015

Any more ideas?

Comment

• Meililoon
            aka lyckr
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Danishgaylooner
            hi there!

You could try using some heavy fabric on the floor - or some duvets scattered. Otherwise some heavy /thick lined curtains will help deaden the sounds. Just try to avoid playing in an "empty" room. The more things you have around to absorb the sounds and deaden them the better. Also depends a little on whether you've moved to a new build property, where insulation is good. If you can't hear your neighbours, then it's a good chance they cant here you! Happy looning guys! :-)
            I've done pretty much all of these things in my bedroom already, except that the walls by the bed (I have it in a corner) are still bare. I hate that echoing sound of empty rooms, so I've tried my best to get rid of it (I think it's the main reason I've never been a fan of the Italoon clips :P). If anyone have any ideas for something sensible I could place on said walls, it would be appreciated. I don't want it to be in the way if I'm sitting up in the bed though.

Comment

• Loonatic
              Balloons + Feet
              • Apr 2016

Glad I'm not the only one who has thought about this! And thank you Danishgaylooner for the tips! I thought about testing to see if the pops would be heard outside as well, although, we can hear people talking as they walk by so I pretty much already know that a pop is going to be heard pretty easily. I like the thick curtain idea, that might help with just general ambient noise as well.

Comment

• blnppr
                • Jan 2016

When I lived in an apartment, I actually had the woman next door ask me why there's so many bangs. I told her I use balloons for lung exercises and eventually I have to pop them. I told her I'd try to keep it quiet. She responded with "If it's only popping balloons, pop them whenever you want. She was just curious about the noise. From then on, it was fun to know she could tell I was popping balloons on the other side of the wall.

Comment

• gayloonfcker
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by blnppr
                  When I lived in an apartment, I actually had the woman next door ask me why there's so many bangs. I told her I use balloons for lung exercises and eventually I have to pop them. I told her I'd try to keep it quiet. She responded with "If it's only popping balloons, pop them whenever you want. She was just curious about the noise. From then on, it was fun to know she could tell I was popping balloons on the other side of the wall.
                  Bahaha I may try that. I'm moving into a townhouse so I only have to worry about either side of me (and not up and down as well as it'll be a two story). But it's still a worry.

Comment

• Micks101
                    • Jan 2017

Not the same but similar situation where I shared with room mates in a VERY wooden and empty house - Just laid down heaps of doonas etc. to absorb the sound. Seemed to work as I never got caught :P

Comment

• Slugamano
                      • Jul 2016

A couple of years ago doctor really ordered blowing balloons for my mother (80+)...

Comment

• Slugamano
                        • Jul 2016

Some reading

Comment

• LoudPopper
                          • Jan 2016

I never knew how to soundproof a room, but now I know! When I purchase my house with my wife, we already discussed having a designated room for fun stuff in general. I will definitely be sure to soundproof it now.

Comment

• gayloonfcker
                            • Jan 2015

So as it happens, my bedrooms in my new place are VERY echoey. Two balloons have popped with loud bangs (and they weren't even blown up all the way!) Nothing has happened yet. I haven't tried the living room. But if you guys have any other ideas please help. I don't want neighbors thinking gun shots are going off. Also, I can't do much of anything to this place unless I call the leasing office to have them approve it.

Also I may try the living room once the tv is working. It doesn't sound as echoey down there but I'm sure the bang will still carry over
                            Last edited by gayloonfcker; 05-06-2017, 20:59.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎