Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • InflatableSquid
    • Jan 2020

Re: Air mattress

I was able to purchase this rare Japanese air mattress. Not quite as big as the intex mats but it seems really sturdy.
    Attached Files

Comment

• heaviest
      • Jun 2018

I have a whole box of no-brand seashell-shaped air mattresses. They're made of vinyl similar to the Intex transparent mats, and they are just one air chamber, so I had high hopes the pillow would pop. My partner and I have both been on these together outside the pool, but not long enough for the pillow to expand a lot.

We finally got to try them out in the pool. I figure they have about three times the volume of the Intex transparent mats and the econo mats, and they float me at about 600 pounds about as well as those smaller rafts float a 200-pound person. That is, they sink in the middle, but they float. The seashell mats are wider in the shoulders and a lot wider at the hips, but I pretty much sink the thing except at the feet and the pillow. I had them overinflated a bit.

It was a very warm day and the pillows expanded while we were on them. I added more air and they grew even larger, but didn't pop.

They float my partner okay. It kinda wraps around her because it's so wide and she's too heavy for it. Sinks it in the center but the outside edges are above water, as well as the feet and pillow. These are probably made for under 200 pounds and she weighs 440 or so.

I overinflated mine quite a bit more and we floated on them a while more. The extra air didn't help float me a lot better, maybe a little, but the pillow on mine grew really large. Still didn't pop. We then left them in the sun for a while, with one of the pillows looking like it would blow.

Kinda curious if I could overinflate it enough so it would float me better, so I added a lot more air. It was warm and stretched enough that I'm pretty sure I could have blow-popped it without straining, but I stopped short of that. It was bloated all over, looked noticeably larger than the second mat, which was already overinflated, but the pillow on mine was really large when I got on it. But most of the extra air was in the pillow so it didn't float me much better. Just raised my head a lot.

A woman gawked at me as I inflated the thing, and as I floated on it with the pillow bulging. I didn't disappoint her. My partner told me there was a huge bubble forming under my head, and after about ten minutes the pillow exploded. Not on a seam, though. The material on the top center of the pillow shredded.

There's no way these would float both me and my partner, but when we have privacy we'll try.

We both sat on the remaining mattress on the concrete, but my partner chickened out and got up before the pillow popped. It didn't pop with just me on it. So the second mat came home with us. I really wanted to blow pop it while it was warm in the sun.
      Last edited by heaviest; 10-06-2020, 05:59.

Comment

• inbox_pm
        • Apr 2017

heaviest, cool story! An overinflated toys really looks great and excitive A mats never pops loudly under me yet, only on seams, a small hole appears and toy slowly deflates. It's easy to repair and inflate again One time a Bestway-2007 seashell deflates under me just in the sea. It have a 3 valves, and one of the main parts pops, not a pillow. Of course, at home I repaired it.
        Another seashell, that i have, is even more vintage, made by Sunco in 90-s. I bought it on our local private ads site, very cheap, and it was popped exactly on the pillow's seam. It was not very difficult to repair and now I have a beautiful vintage toy
        Attached Files

Comment

• heaviest
          • Jun 2018

That looks nicer than the ones I have. Mine look a lot like the Big Mouth seashell. The pillow is shaped a little different but is still bigger in the middle like the bigmouth, and I think they may be longer than the big mouth version. I'm told they're a chinese import meant to be resold in a remarketer's packaging. They're unbranded and I just got a bunch of them in a box, each in really simple packaging. The warning label is unusually brief and english-only. I have them in translucent blue and pink, and opaque light blue.
          Last edited by heaviest; 10-06-2020, 22:16.

Comment

• Danniballoon
            • Mar 2018

Originally posted by SuTeKh
            Anybody else enjoy playing with an air mattress? I like to inflate them nice and firm flip them on their side and ride it. Feels amazing and they take one hell of a beating especially intex brand. Also alot of fun to ride balloons and other inflatables on them was curious if anybody else liked them as well.
            I got a few used ones and had fun riding them on top of one another. I love the bodyboard, best. I rode an inflated condom on it, which felt nice
            Attached Files

Comment

• VickyLynnVixen

Air mattresses are where I had my start. Well okay, maybe a tiny swan, but nothing else seemed to move under me like a mattress in the water. Triggered by a memory of my childhood play date bobbing around on one, my collection has grown.

Lovely left on a hot pool deck to warm!

Comment

• balloonPatcher
                • Jun 2020

Yes, I enjoy the inflatable ladies too!

Comment

• Tookus
                  • Nov 2019

My all time favorite Intex, very supple vinyl, and big 75x35 inches. She's fun in the water or the bedroom

Comment

• Tookus
                    • Nov 2019

My 1974 Kmart air mattress, feels like it has a rubber/vinyl blend, very nice

Comment

• heaviest
                      • Jun 2018

This week I watched two women use air mattresses as chaise lounge cushions. The heaviest of them was only perhaps 220 pounds, so no danger of popping and not very exciting, but after a time she scooted forward so her boyfriend could sit behind her. He was maybe 250 pounds. Still not enough to pop it, but getting interesting, and I like to see adults overload pool toys without a concern for popping them.

Comment

• meidolooner
                        • Aug 2020

Back in childhood I dreamed of an air mat but I was too shy to ask for one.

Nowadays I have a couple, including a 2009 Intex Color Mat. I really haven't had that much experience with the older, softer inflatables back in childhood so I was wondering how those feel. I found this mat brand new in an inflatables store a year ago and it was sold for retail price. It certainly does feel softer, I am lucky to have been able to buy it.

Recently I've been to that shop and they currently have a whole shelf worth of old Intex Color Mats, this time from 2011. I wonder if those are still the soft ones because then I'd buy a few.
                        I like to work my lungs, huff and puff~~

Comment

• lilolover82
                          • Mar 2014

Rule of thumb the older the vinyl inflatable the softer. It has to do with them banning a lot of the phalphates (chemicals) that made them softer and squishy and soft. Also less likely to leak.
                          Washington State, United States

Comment

• heaviest
                            • Jun 2018

Popped an 18-pocket intex suntanner last night.

I put 950 pounds of sand bags and weight plates on the feet end of it, which left enough room below the pillow end for 205-pound girl to sit, and I sat my nearly 600 pounds on her. It's her kink. On an inflatable we both get a charge out of doing this. We put a piece of foam under her knees to keep her legs from bending backwards. We've also put her legs through a swim ring while doing this, but there was no room for that with the weight stack next to us.

Hard to say exactly how much weight we had on the mattress because we couldn't get our feet off the ground all together, but it was close to 1700 pounds. We've had this much weight on it before, with four people. I was hoping we'd break the inner support veins under the uninflated pillow, as nobody was on that end of the float so it was allowed to bulge ridiculously.

It was hard to keep her butt from bottoming out. She sank so far into it I could feel the mattress on my butt to either side of her. If I sat too far forward her legs hurt, too far back she'd bottom out. So my partner sat on the pillow end. I'd rather have added the weight elsewhere so the pillow would explode, but there was no room. She had to balance with a foot on the ground, so her weight wasn't all on the mattress, but we had about 2100 pounds on it now.

The additional weight worked to keep 205 pound girl from bottoming out. We bobbed for balance and watched the weight stack shift about. Rocked it a bit to be sure it hadn't bottomed out. I could bottom her out by bouncing, but when I wasn't doing that she was floating on a very hard air mattress, even with me on her lap.

These things normally break around one of the 18 pockets, and it's not a big enough seam to make a lot of noise or to deflate instantly. At best a popping noise and a quick deflation. But this time it wasn't the pockets that blew.

Boom! The thing deflated almost instantly. It was an inner support vein in the pillow end, but instead of just detaching from top or bottom surface and allowing that end of the mattress to bulge, the thing tore a hole in the top surface of the mattress at one end of the vein. About a hand-sized hole.

Comment

• lilolover82
                              • Mar 2014

Rode a best way mattress for about 5 months now and my frequency of playing with it finally made a leak in the valve seam. If you push the valve inside the tubes now it begins deflating quickly.
                              Washington State, United States

Comment

• Yuldel
                                • Oct 2020

Yes I like them, I still have an old air mattress from 10+ years ago. Still works fine

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎