Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yonkers Looner
    • Oct 2019

My Local Stores Know Me Now

So a handful of people in my life are aware of this secret, but now I'm pretty sure my local retailers are catching on. I don't always order online, cause I'm pretty broke, and when I don't, I shop local. I have two stores I usually stop by; a local party shop with a really limited selection, and a Party City downtown. When cashiers at the Party City would ask why I needed so many, or why I didn't want helium offered freely on the spot, I'd come up with excuses like 'it's my little sister's/cousins/nieces birthday. Recently, the cashier serving me, who I'm pretty sure at this point is also one of the managers, asked me just how many younger relatives I had, being around so often. NOSY! Regardless, I didn't really have an answer. I started going to the local more often after that, problem was that the place is pretty much one employee and it has almost no stock. She was, however, content to fill the occasional balloon(s) I brought around with helium if I wanted to have a bit of a more unique experience, and the house was providing. She recently asked me something along the same lines, "I see you here at least once a week man. You always buy the same thing! What's up with that?" I didn't mind her asking as much, kind of expected it actually. We make small talk often, usually weather, politics, or whatever comes to mind. This is the first time she asked about that though. On the spot, all I could come up with was, "I don't know actually, I guess I'm just a guy who really likes balloons." She laughed a bit, but she seemed satisfied with that answer. Not like it was THAT far from the truth all things considered.

What should I exactly do about this? Should I just stop shopping in public altogether and asuade all suspicions?
    Sometimes I feel like Freud would have a bloody field day with me...

Writer, future teacher, gamer, nerd, lover, looner, stoner, unapologetic nutcase
  • RainbowYarn
    • Jan 2020

Re: My Local Stores Know Me Now

Get a backbone and stand up for yourself if you need to.

You like balloons. Balloons are fun. Simple as that. None of their business, and if they don't like it, then fuck them.

That being said, wish I had more money to blow on getting helium balloons from shops, but no, there are very little to no male members of staff for me to talk to and get to blow up balloons for me. So, I don't bother much with such things.

But, yeah. Be more confident and stuff. You may realise that what other people think means nothing. Simples.

Comment

• Black_Bear
      • May 2013

You don't have a thing to worry about. The 1 Party Coty employee was a bit odd about it, but always remember that you are consistent money to them. As for the local shop, you are helping pay their bills. Even if she knew you had a fetish for them based off that conversation, it hurts them to lose you as a customer, even if the fetish subject makes them uncomfortable. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Comment

• srob2
        • Dec 2017

Maybe she's interested in you. Could be fun having a girlfriend working at Party City

Comment

• SAF
          • Nov 2019

I'd tell her that I like to fill a room and run around naked... Then I would ask... Want to join...

Comment

• Strel0k
            • Jul 2014

Party City balloons are my favorite. Also they sell them to me for $0.35 each without helium.

Comment

• Loon119
              • Jun 2018

I once had this in my very early days of living by myself. I left home at 14 and I went to a local stall in the market several times. There was always 2 ladies if the younger one served me she would just sell whatever I wanted no questions asked. The older lady always had a sarcastic question for me, oh back for another balloon, aren't you too old for kids toys, and the usual one nearly every time, what are you doing with so many balloons, I was tempted to tell her the proper truth.
              Well to be honest I'm going home, stripping naked and having my way with the balloon until one or both of us pop. Unfortunately then I didn't have that confidence at only 14 but nowadays I would but the stall shut down

Comment

• SirSquishy
                • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Yonkers Looner
                On the spot, all I could come up with was, "I don't know actually, I guess I'm just a guy who really likes balloons." She laughed a bit, but she seemed satisfied with that answer. Not like it was THAT far from the truth all things considered.

What should I exactly do about this? Should I just stop shopping in public altogether and asuade all suspicions?
                If I was her and somebody gave me that reply, I would instantly know they have a fetish. Who knows for certain though. She might not have a clue. On the other hand, maybe the reason she works in a balloon shop is because she too, has the fetish.

I wouldn't stop shopping in public. Not sure about you, but I don't care at all what people may think of me buying balloons over and over again. So what if they think I have a fetish. What are they gonna do about it? That being said, if I make public purchases, I try to buy a lot of stock all at once to last me a few months at least (non-popper here).

Comment

• frankfrank
                  Empathetic Harmonizer
                  • Feb 2018

As a nonpopper who doesn't buy that many, and with a number of good options in a big city like Chicago-and-suburbs (Walmart, Family Dollar, Party City, etc.), no store will ever get to "know" me.
                  People who don't know the difference between BURRO and BURROW, can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

There's been a lot of thefts of helium-filled balloons recently. More so than in the past, so they're going up. I think inflation is to blame.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." - The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939

Comment

• Chip67
                    • Dec 2019

Being a non-popper, I really enjoy big Helium Balloons. But there is nothing like the adventure of shopping for large balloons,inflated or not. It is so much fun to go down to the local Party City and get 4 to 6-24" round balloons inflated with helium. I usually tell them to inflate them as big as possible and have on occassion, showed them how to tie a half-knot which they appreciate to having learned something new. Most of the time, I am never questioned and I even compliment them on their inflation abilities. They usually come back with a thank you and smile. Enjoy the fun !!!!

Comment

• Seidenki
                      • Dec 2016

I bought a heap of 24" balloons from Party City when I was last near one (last July!). In fact, I'd been in that same one a month earlier also buying a heap of 24"s. I suspect the cashier wanted to ask why so many, but she didn't.

Now, I can't visit that one terribly often because it's halfway around the world! So they haven't gotten to know me... No idea when I will be back in Austin. Probably at least a year.

Comment

• PBK
                        • Mar 2019

The Party City I frequent has such a high staff turnover I could go in there every week and there'd be entirely new people in there.
                        I cleaned them out of punchballs one time when they were having a sale and the girl working the till asked me what the reason for so many was and giggled telling me how much she still likes playing with punchballs.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎