Alibaba partners keep querying the thickness in my quotes?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Thud Joe
    • May 2017

Alibaba partners keep querying the thickness in my quotes?

Hay all, nothing much happening here in Australia in regards of finding good beach balls, so made an enquirey to a manufacturer regarding this 42 inch transparent ball with yellow red blue panels. Here's the link.

I requested a quote for 500 units to check the price and feasability of a group buy. In my brief I noted I wanted phthalate based PVC with a thickness of 0.12 mm. However often they'll reply with minimun thickness of 0.18.

When I first open a new beach ball, I want the PVC to feel almost like a balloon, but not quite. What I'm meaning is I would like the plastic to feel thin and light. This already gives me an immediate hit of anticipation. The thicker plastic used for many beach balls today has the same texture as car covers and tents and just feels awful.

So my question is, are the manufacturers concerns regarding tearing or leaks to do with the thin plastic? Could I get away with thinner plastic and reinforced seams? What's the go with this, because my alibaba quotes usually come to this same road block.
    Last edited by Big Thud Joe; 19-07-2018, 01:40.
  • snh61
    • Sep 2017

Re: Alibaba partners keep querying the thickness in my quotes?

Yes, because 0.18 thin 42in bball is still nonsense. It will pop like nothing. I would go for ate least 0.3mm.

Comment

• John225
      • Jan 2018

I could see where thin would be enjoyable but I love the thick feeling where I can blow it up right and work for the pop ��

Comment

• Big Thud Joe
        • May 2017

I bought some inflatable hammers from Rhode Island Novelty about two years ago, and for good measure they threw in a few 12 inch balls, which were made of this very thin plastic. Despite their size I got rather aroused, and thought I would love to see how I'd go with 42 inch. I've blown these 12 inchers hard often for clawing, and it seems the plastic stretches, but of yet the seams haven't ripped.

This did give me confidence that perhaps the thinner plastics of today would be more tolerable then what they would have been 20 years ago.

I guess if the PVCs do have a phthalate based plasticizer, they will feel soft and stretchy, thus at least give the sense that they are thinner to what they really are. The last lot of blue/white/red 36 inch balls I bought from D&L Toys feel quite nice, but they possibly could be 0.3. They definitely have something in the PVC that makes them feel very thin and soft. 36 inch is great, but the 42 inch balls fit inside the arch of my arm perfectly when doing by hugging looning thing.

Comment

• OverTheTop
          • Dec 2013

Another option is to take an inflatable with thicker plastic and use either heat or ATBC to soften it to feel like it's thinner. As an added bonus, it will stretch to larger sizes!

Comment

• Big Thud Joe
            • May 2017

Originally posted by OverTheTop
            Another option is to take an inflatable with thicker plastic and use either heat or ATBC to soften it to feel like it's thinner. As an added bonus, it will stretch to larger sizes!
            I'm currently doing this with a PriceHot 36 inch black ball I bought around 2008. I've got half a dozen of these. I inflated it around early July, and as we're entering Spring now here in Australia the weather is gradually getting warmer.

The combination of me adding a pump breath to the ball every few days or so, with the expansion of the air inside from the gradual warming of the air is definitely making this ball stretch, and it already does feel more squeaky and thinner to what it did in July. I am stretching this, but as this is my first time doing such a thing, it's being done conservatively and slowly; so far the seams are standing up well.

One side note of interest is when the plastic stretches, it seems to leach some sort of substance, possibly a chemical used in the plasticizers. Nothing wrong with this, it actually adds to the experience, giving the ball somewhat more of a lubricating feel.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎