• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lnr13
    • Dec 2020

Re: Quieting a matress pump/air pump?

Originally posted by heleo
    NO NO NO
    this will damage the motor, cause problems for the electrical supply company and you will need to insulate the diode and so on.
    This system is used in many of the appliances we have around the house: Fans for example.

I have been using this for years and have never had a problem.

Comment

• heleo
      • Aug 2015

It is highy illegal to use the circuit you have suggested, you may have confused it with triac phase control. I do have a degree in electrical power enginering.

regards

Comment

• glovepopper
        • May 2019

It is highy illegal to use the circuit you have suggested, you may have confused it with triac phase control. I do have a degree in electrical power enginering.
        I have encountered this way of reducing power (using a diode) in hair dryers. Induction motors will not work because of the DC component of the single-lead rectified current, but commutator (brushed) motors will work and will not be damaged. The air pumps have brushed motors, because only they can reach high speeds.

Comment

• heleo
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by glovepopper
          I have encountered this way of reducing power (using a diode) in hair dryers. Induction motors will not work because of the DC component of the single-lead rectified current, but commutator (brushed) motors will work and will not be damaged. The air pumps have brushed motors, because only they can reach high speeds.
          It must be a device that has not been certified. DC components cause significant issues for the supply company.

Comment

• Scaredyburst
            • Dec 2020

Up until about the 1990s, the rectified mains was used by almost every television in the world. The supply companies didn't like it, but there was nothing they could do.

Much nicer would be to use a lamp dimmer (for an old fashioned filament lamp), provided the dimmer has a sufficient power rating. It will give a variable power to the pump, an advantage.
            🎈📌💥 🐕 🐖

Comment

• heleo
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Scaredyburst
              Up until about the 1990s, the rectified mains was used by almost every television in the world. The supply companies didn't like it, but there was nothing they could do.

Much nicer would be to use a lamp dimmer (for an old fashioned filament lamp), provided the dimmer has a sufficient power rating. It will give a variable power to the pump, an advantage.
              Hi,
              It was a full wave recitifer, so it would take current from the both +VE and -VE parts of the mains cycle and thus have no signifcant DC component.

Comment

• lnr13
                • Dec 2020

regards
                It must be a device that has not been certified. DC components cause significant issues for the supply company.
                Hello, in Spain this is not illegal. I do not know if in other countries it can be, as I understand that it will also depend on the electrical infrastructure available.

What is penalized in Spain is the reactive energy that comes from motors and other coils and that force to use capacitors to compensate it. Although this only affects industries. In homes this is not penalized either.

In any case it is a method that works for practical purposes and regardless of whether it is well or badly seen in the face of the electric company, nothing happens to use it for a while ...

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎