• Show
Clear All
  • BalloonBoyUK
    Banned
    • Dec 2018

Beachball helium inflation question

Hi All,

I know this is probably going to be a "no", but I'll ask anyway:

If I completely fill a 107cm-sized beachball up with helium, is it likely to float, or will the vinyl still mean it'll be too heavy for the gas to lift it?

I'm tempted to try it, but I don't want to waste the helium if there's a high chance of it not working. I'd only be doing it for the sheer novelty, so it's neither here-nor-there for me.

I'm assuming it won't float, but was hoping one of you may have already tried this, and gotten a result one way or the other.

Cheers in advance.
  • Ramirez
    • Aug 2015

Re: Beachball helium inflation question

At least according to the internet it should float however the amount of helium required would cost a fortune. If my math is correct, after converting 107cm (I'm assuming diameter not radius) into imperial, the volume of that ball is around 22 cubic feet.
    Largest tank I could find that would be easy to get only had about 14.7 cubic feet and costs $50 USD so you'd require at least two tanks. So it is most likely will float but it would cost a pretty penny to try.
    Last edited by Ramirez; 29-07-2019, 13:08. Reason: Wrong math

Comment

• Balloonymous
      • Sep 2017

That is extremely random, but that video does contains your answer at the 2:13 mark. ;-)

Comment

• globos&bears
        • Jun 2019

Originally posted by BalloonBoyUK
        Hi All,

I know this is probably going to be a "no", but I'll ask anyway:

If I completely fill a 107cm-sized beachball up with helium, is it likely to float, or will the vinyl still mean it'll be too heavy for the gas to lift it?

I'm tempted to try it, but I don't want to waste the helium if there's a high chance of it not working. I'd only be doing it for the sheer novelty, so it's neither here-nor-there for me.

I'm assuming it won't float, but was hoping one of you may have already tried this, and gotten a result one way or the other.

Cheers in advance.
        Hi there,
        i saw this beauty one month ago in the Pride México, I guess that if it can fly also can yours.

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
          Banned
          • Dec 2018

Hi All,

Ramirez - The beach ball I have is 107cm or 42 inches in diameter. It's circumference is 213cm (2m 13cm) or 84 inches. The cost of the helium isn't an issue, as I have a helium tank at home anyway. I was just curious to see whether it would likely float or not. Thanks for the input.

Balloonymous / globos&bears - That video and pic, whilst fun, can't give a definitive answer. There are too many variables, namely:
          1) The actual size of the ball you plan to inflate
          2) The heaviness/thickness of the material of the ball
          3) The quality of the ball's manufacture (thus, whether it might leak or not).

In theory, the bigger the ball, the better the chances it will float, but it's not a guarantee. My beachball is made of quite heavy clear vinyl, and I'm not 100% convinced that it would be worth filling it with helium, just to try. Just as with larger-sized balloons, there's a stage where a balloon reaches the float/won't float moment, during inflation, and the amount of gas needed is substantial, as Ramirez pointed out.

Thanks for the info though, everyone, but I don't think I'm going to risk trying this test out for real. I'd much rather use the helium on Hi-Float treated balloons in stead, which will float for definite!

Comment

• lincy
            • Apr 2019

Thanks for sharing the useful post
            Helium Tank

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘