Old 29-01-2019, 07:49 PM

Yen_D_Heart is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Space Hoppers and Hoppity Hops
Totally blind? Well that is interesting!

I want a Waliki Ball, too! But shipping costs are so damn high, and their European store doesn't seem to exist anymore....

About the Gymnic balls, I own both a Hop 66 and a Oppy 5. The Oppy has handles like the Hop 66, just that they are not connected. So they are rather close together compared to most other hoppers, but are somewhat ergonomically shapped. A bit hard to describe.

Their material is also different from each other and other hoppers in general:

The Hop 66 has very sturdy and thick rubber material, which almost is a bit leather like. (ledraplastic they call it I believe) You can bounce on it very nicely still. The only downside in my eye is, that the ball is rather oval, not round. It makes the ball look smaller. I wonder if I can stretch the ball somehow... due to the thick material you can't just overinflate it. The handles are "fused" together on the top, so not a single round handle, but two seperate ones. Much better for two hands in my opinion.

The Oppy 5 (and 6 I guess aswell) are a bit more toy-like in direct comparison. Slightly less thick, a bit more round and the separated handles compared to the Hop 66. Otherwise I feel like it is very similar.

In general I wonder how I could stretch the material of my hoppers. Anyone having any ideas?
If you have questions about other hoppers, feel free to ask me. I still want to do a more lengthy write-up of hoppers in the future.
Old 30-01-2019, 01:56 AM

sonarloon is on a distinguished road
IDK, I've heard people gently bake there pvc stuff in an oven or use a hair dryer, although the latter is more commonplace around balloons and as intended, hair drying.
I'm more interested in the hop 66 for the thicker material, but the hoppy 6 for the handles.
Would you describe the handles of the hoppy 6 like reverse print l shaped? Where you have a stem on the ball itself and then it curves about 90 degrees and forms the handle?
I'd like to find a ball similar to the one that first got me started into inflatables. I can't really remember how large it was though, though I remember it had handles as described.
And yup, totally blind. Ask away if you wish.
Old 30-01-2019, 01:33 PM

The Oppy has no "I" shapped handles like most regular hoppers like John Balls. They go straight, but are closer together. The handle is veeery slightly shapped like a "3", for ergonomic reasons I guess. Same with the Hop 66 mind you, they are almost identical besides the "bridge" that connects both handles on the top for the Hop 66. It's very hard to describe accurate.

There are many hoppers in various sizes that have a reverse "I" shape like you have described. Mostly in the range of 40 - 60 cm. John Balls and Togu are the most common that use them. John is cheaper, Togu is more robust. I don't have a Togu ball right now, so I can't give you many details about them sadly. They are on my wishlist, right behind a 36-inch knobbed hopper from america and the Waliki hoppers (26-inch ?).

Hope that helps.
Old 30-01-2019, 06:50 PM

I had a knobbed ball for a while but gave it up. The knobs made it difficult and a bit uncomfortable to ride.
You think I could import a retro space hopper from Europe? More specifically a 80 cm as you described? Could be fun to try one out.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:51 AM

I like the retro 80cm space hoppers. They are sooo much fun to ride. My oldest one is also now at the 90cm mark! You could try to look for them on Amazon or eBay, as they we're sold to different places. The orange hopper with the face on it is the most common 80cm in my experience. If you want any other colour, you most likely only find them on Amazon or directly from http://www.space-hoppers.co.uk/ where I brought all of mine.

Despite your experience I still want the knobbed ball Dunno, I am a collector and it looks fun with clothing on. But getting one to europe is soooo damn expensive ;_;
Old 02-02-2019, 05:34 PM

Wow! Is this from stretching and bouncing over time? Or have you very carefully baked it? I bet it's all kinds of squishy now!
I haven't played with mine long enough for that to even be noticeable. I have a CanDo 105 cm exercise ball that has, though. Even with it's still all wrinkled it's huuuuuuuuge as compared to when I first got it. When I first got it I was like ok, this really doesn't scream 105 centimeters to my mind. I've had it for about 5 years now. It's been deflated, reinflated, stored and reinflated time and time again.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:59 PM

No baking of any sorts. I didn't even know that this is possible! Won't try it myself, my oven isn't exactly great.

I made a photo to compare the sizes. Bad quality, but it gets the point across: https://i.imgur.com/AKE4udS.jpg

The pink one is rather new, the blue one is the oldest. I think that there is still some room, but I don't have a proper pump for it. Than again, I like my balls bouncy, not stiff

I really like having one of them around. When I am talking on the phone I sit on it, swaying from side to side instead of running in circles. Wierdly enough, I don't get the same satisfaction from sitting on exercise balls. I guess it's the nature of their more resilient material compared to most hoppers, which are just toys.
Once I get a better camera (and some not-so-crappy lighting) I want to make some photos of them to compare them and give others an idea of their size.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:19 PM

Bamman27 is on a distinguished road
Can we add yoga balls to this?
Old 03-02-2019, 08:37 PM

We technically already have, I think. Aren't yoga balls just another name for exercise balls?
I really should bring out my pink hopper more often. It's small-ish size make it a bit uncomfortable to ride sometimes but it can be lots of fun to ride if I look passed that.
All of you with hoppers how long/far have you hopped in a single session?
Old 04-02-2019, 05:27 PM

While I specificly target hoppers, so balls with some kind of handle, I see no reason to exclude gym/exercise/yoga/pilattes balls from the discussion. Personally they don't interest me.

I also have some smaller balls. But I have to say that I wouldn't buy any hopper below the size of 60cm again. Almost all of my smaller ones we're not bouncy or big enough to have fun on them. 60cm at least makes it fun to hop around.
My favorite 60cm one is a pink hopper from Decathlon I believe. Very soft with it's slightly rougher feel, like a gym ball. Don't know if they are being sold anywhere else, as I couldn't find out if these ones are being produced in-house from Decathlon, who is a sport outfit company.