Old 13-07-2019, 05:25 AM

PBK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looning in decades gone by
YES! That's right! Merlin's Balloons! I remember ordering a whole bunch of "Carnival Assortment" Tilco 17's off of him after watching an attractive Hispanic lady BTP a green one on one of the paysites (The only paysite I ever subscribed to).
Old 13-07-2019, 05:52 AM

Seasider is on a distinguished road
I remember having feelings for balloons as young as 6 or 7 which was the mid to late eighties and my overriding memory growing up in southern England was how easy it was to get balloons from all sorts of places as freebies. By my early teens before I really knew what a fetish was I would get balloons discreetly and experiment with the in my room. As others have said the balloons seemed bigger and I remember we used to go to a local beefeater which always had massively overinflated helium balloons which my sister always used to get (I never wanted to be seen near balloons). I always rescued them from the rubbish and stashed them and I remember one time even locking myself in the downstairs toilet to play with one.

Tv programs seemed to have them a lot more too, I used to tune into live and kicking because every week they had a game where a celebrity used to be in a cage of balloons and they also used to do a balloon drop over celebrities and I always used to watch avidly in my bedroom to see who interacted with them which always gave me a nice feeling!
Old 13-07-2019, 10:04 PM

PBK is on a distinguished road
I remember in the 80's as a kid when convenience stores had those cardboard stands at the till with an assortment of balloons hanging from them. Sometimes you could get a giant zeppelin or even a nice giant round if you were lucky.
Old 15-07-2019, 08:25 PM

Orzel is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SRider View Post
Dear community,
I have always wondered what it was like to be a looner in the pre-internet days, from the 1960s up until the 1990s, but since Google searches pertaining to the history of balloons return very few results, I figured I might ask here, since I know from reading old posts that at least a couple of our members remember these times. I am especially interested in the types of balloons that were available back then, including ones that have since been discontinued; if you started looning before 2000, what kinds of balloons did you use, and has the variety of balloons that interest you gotten better or worse since you started out?
I would also appreciate anecdotes pertaining to your early experiences as a looner as well as links to old catalogues of balloon companies.
Thank you,
SRider.
Ever seen the movie L'uomo dei cinque palloni? (Break Up)
Old 19-07-2019, 03:51 PM
Banned

BalloonBoyUK is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Looning in decades gone by
Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
I have two versions of it: the original short 25-minute edit (which formed one of a trilogy of tales, in the original version of OGGI, DOMANI, DOPPODOMANI) and the uncut, full-length version, that runs to about 85-minutes as the film, under the title you mention.

They're amazing. I'm hoping that the recent 4K restoration of it, with English Subtitles, will eventually make its way onto Blu-Ray from someone, somewhere, so I can finally own a legit version of the longer edition. It's a must-see film if you are a Looner!
Old 19-07-2019, 06:34 PM

craggy2012 is on a distinguished road
Camille 2000 from 60’s Europe has a nice artsy scene with a big round inflatable bed in it, and there was another film from Italy also from the sixties that had a love scene filmed in a room full of inflatable furniture. Sadly though so far I’ve not been able to identify the film’s actual title despite a lot of these 60’s era art house films being remastered and released on DVD for the first time over the past decade or so.
Old 19-07-2019, 06:45 PM

craggy2012 is on a distinguished road
Thinking about it there was also a scene in a Lucille Ball film also from the sixties where she was in a sinking yellow Inflatable dinghy too. Can’t remember the full details of the clip but somehow the dinghy got caught up on some thick, thorny branches and ends up popping and sinking down into the water.
Old 20-07-2019, 05:39 AM
Founder, Balloon Buddies

BusterBill is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
Yes, I saw the movie when it was in the foreign art film theater in NYC back in the late 60's. I think it was produced sometime in 1968. I'll have to check my files because somewhere i have a copy of the movie on DVD. My DVD is a very poor quality copy that was made from an old VHS tape. I also have the original movie house poster (the big 3m X 4m poster, not the lobby card) amongst my looner memorabilia files. I was able to get this huge poster from the theater when the movie ended its showing (the same day that I saw it). The film received universally negative reviews so it ran for only a few days in New York.

After he became financially successful and famous, Marcello Mastroianni bought up the rights to the film so that he could destroy it. I read an article at the time that reported that Mastroianni was so embarrassed by the terrible quality of the movie and its horrible reviews that not only did it want it destroyed, he even purged the title from his official filmography.

Some copies of the film survived in 16mm format in libraries and distribution company archives. Apparently someone made a VHS from one the 16mm prints using an old kinescope machine, and then the VHS was eventually copied onto a DVD using a first generation Phillips DVD burner. The resulting quality is almost unwatchable but nonetheless it's an interesting bit of memorabilia to have.

The full film is available in reasonably watchable quality for free on YouTube at this link: https://youtu.be/a1WiTtzOqrs
Old 20-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Banned

BalloonBoyUK is on a distinguished road
Here's the link about the film's recent 4K restoration and premiere in Italy...

https://festival.ilcinemaritrovato.i...inque-palloni/

Note the following...

"Restored in 4K in 2016 by Cineteca di Bologna and Museo Nazionale del Cinema di Torino, in collaboration with Warner Bros., with the support of Massimo Sordella and Nuovo Imaie, at L’Immagine Ritrovata laboratory, from the 4K scan of a vintage interpositive and a sound positive preserved by Warner Bros. Thanks to CSC – Cineteca Nazionale for providing as reference for the restoration the 35mm copy struck from the original negative at Turner International, Los Angeles"

I would happily kill to get this on Blu-Ray or DVD in a decent print, with English Subtitles, even if it were bare-bones with nothing else on it. I just want to own a good version of it. Someone must know when this is coming out in the USA or Italy?

Last edited by BalloonBoyUK; 20-07-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 20-07-2019, 10:22 PM

Bubblyzzz is on a distinguished road
What is the premise of this movie? I don't speak Italian, so I don't know.