Clear All
  • JamesPopper
    • Nov 2016

Quieting a matress pump/air pump?

Any tips on this?
  • wildheart
    • Apr 2015

Re: Quieting a matress pump/air pump?

Could put in a foam box with a hole for a hose. It won’t run as long before it overheats though. Depends how long you need to run it for.
    How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
    My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• Eastlooner
      • Apr 2019

Hi,
      Try to put your inflator into the bedding box of your bed.
      I did it and with self made foot-switch (plug, socket, doorbell type switch and 2 mts of wire)and 1m plastic hose just can avoid the noise and overheating of the pump

Comment

• craggy2012
        • Jan 2012

I use an 130 l/hr aquarium oxygenating pump for inflating inflatables with at night or when I’m in hotels ect. It’s really quiet just makes a humming noise on hard floors or on a desk (or near silent if placed on the bed ect). Not the quickest of pumps, nor any good for inflating balloons with as it can’t overcome the back pressure but it’ll still inflate a 60 inch beach ball in about ten mins and inflated an 3metre IW Whale in about half an hour but it never gets hot as it’s designed for continual duty.

Comment

• glovepopper
          • May 2019

To reduce the noise, usually I'm powering my Intex pump with a reduced voltage, from the 230V/110V transformer. The additional noise reduction I got from wrapping my pump into the blanket.
          The sound of my pump noise you can hear on the short video zipped into the file attached to this post. I also checked how much the pressure drop after silencing - 30 mmHg is still enough for the large balloons.

Attached Files

Comment

• OverTheTop
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by glovepopper
            To reduce the noise, usually I'm powering my Intex pump with a reduced voltage, from the 230V/110V transformer. The additional noise reduction I got from wrapping my pump into the blanket.
            The sound of my pump noise you can hear on the short video zipped into the file attached to this post. I also checked how much the pressure drop after silencing - 30 mmHg is still enough for the large balloons.

Hmm, are you sure wrapping it in a blanket is a good idea? I feel like that would choke the vents and possibly also cause it to overheat, at least with extended use.

Comment

• glovepopper
              • May 2019

Originally posted by OverTheTop
              Hmm, are you sure wrapping it in a blanket is a good idea? I feel like that would choke the vents and possibly also cause it to overheat, at least with extended use.
              This pump wrapped into the blanket, and powered with reduced voltage, is heating less than on full power and without blanket...

Comment

• Eastlooner
                • Apr 2019

Yes it works I bought a converter 220 to 110V, 500W (about 25EUR with postage)- it's the same power than Zibi pump has. Works fine and almost noiseless after putting inside my bed wrapped in linen. No overheating, the pressure is good enough for every prestchetched balloon without the risk of accidental popping.

Comment

• Eastlooner
                  • Apr 2019

Here's a pic of a Rifco Elephant blown in these conditions.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• panther42
                    • Oct 2021

Intex Quick-Fill 220V pump on 110V - model numbers?

This is brilliant, and I'm surprised that it works without damaging the pump over time. After using a 220V pump on a 110V voltage for some time (by which I mean, using over the course of months), does the Quick-Fill pump still work well? It's not damaged by the low voltage?
                    Apart from that, I'm trying to find this AP628 model, but at least on the Intex Spain website (I'm in Spain) all I find is AP609. On Amazon.FR I find a model 3268609 (which, ending in ...609, I guess might be the same). Any thoughts on whether the use-110V-for-220V-pump trick should work on the AP609 or 3268609 also? ( https://www.intex.es/hinchadores/686...-indooroutdoor )
                    many thanks!
                    -J

Originally posted by Eastlooner
                    Yes it works I bought a converter 220 to 110V, 500W (about 25EUR with postage)- it's the same power than Zibi pump has. Works fine and almost noiseless after putting inside my bed wrapped in linen. No overheating, the pressure is good enough for every prestchetched balloon without the risk of accidental popping.

Comment

• loonlun
                      • Mar 2021

I usually put on hearing protection ear muffs.

Comment

• SirSquishy
                        • Mar 2020

I've heard that dog hair dryers are quiet. I've never gotten one to find out for myself though. Anybody know how quiet dog hair dryers really are? Would love to use one if they are silent. They have a lot of power, and can blow hot air.

Comment

• panther42
                          • Oct 2021

Re: Quick-Fill AP628 - availability, or direct follow-on model?

Hi @glovepopper (do @ references of users work in this forum??), are you still around?
                          Is your Quick-Fill AP628 pump still with you and working?

Where were you able to buy that? I cannot find that model anymore.
                          I see that it's rated at only 195W, which would make it much quieter (typical cheap small balloon inflators are 400W to 600W, and Watts make noise unless built into much more expensive appliances).
                          Running a 195W device at half voltage (and thus half wattage) would definitely make it quiet. I'd love to try that.
                          But to try the half-voltage trick we'd first have to know that a particular model has no voltage-sensitive circuitry; so much stuff these days has digital electronics in it (and some motors also don't like "wrong" voltages) that I'm hesitant to buy something and just try it.. so the ideal would be to get the same model.

All inputs welcomed, thank you!

Originally posted by glovepopper

Comment

• lnr13
                            • Dec 2020

Hi, I see that some of you buy transformers to halve the working voltage of the pump.

Just to add that the same effect can be achieved by inserting a diode in the pump cable (only 1 and only in the phase or neutral cable).

In this way we will obtain only half of the electrical wave (for practical purposes, half of the voltage).

The biggest difference is that a diode only costs $1 or less (or can even be extracted from a broken device).

Just keep in mind to use a diode of adequate size to the voltage (230V) and the power of the pump and to insulate well to avoid a displeasure.

Comment

• heleo
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by lnr13
                              Hi, I see that some of you buy transformers to halve the working voltage of the pump.

Just to add that the same effect can be achieved by inserting a diode in the pump cable (only 1 and only in the phase or neutral cable).

In this way we will obtain only half of the electrical wave (for practical purposes, half of the voltage).

The biggest difference is that a diode only costs $1 or less (or can even be extracted from a broken device).

Just keep in mind to use a diode of adequate size to the voltage (230V) and the power of the pump and to insulate well to avoid a displeasure.
                              NO NO NO
                              this will damage the motor, cause problems for the electrical supply company and you will need to insulate the diode and so on.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎