Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eastlooner
    • Apr 2019

Balloon stock-taking...

I still have many balloons collected for years...After a bad experience with "rescuing" older ones in the spring I decided to systematically review my collection, and whenever I find some aging ones (e.g. sticking...) I just make a balloon room based on them...
  • Meililoon
    aka lyckr
    • Sep 2014

Re: Balloon stock-taking...

Originally posted by onemoreblow
    I have some RCR, unique, and tuftex that are all sticking. Some of them get really huge. But most of the other balloons don't seem to have this problem.
    Yes, Unique and especially Tuf-Tex don't age very well. I did a minor cleanup in my stock last year, but it's probably time to do it again. I keep telling myself to use some of the older 12" and 16" balloons I have, but I keep on just using new Uniques instead

Edit: I just did a big cleanup and ended up throwing away a lot of old and used balloons that hadn't been properly stored.
    Last edited by Meililoon; 12-08-2019, 10:16.

Comment

• BusterBill
      Founder, Balloon Buddies
      • Nov 2016

General storage advice is to minimize exposure to heat, sunlight and oxygen -- those factors contribute the most the rapid aging of latex. Vacuum sealers work wonders to prevent oxidation for those that have a FoodSaver or similar consumer vacuum sealer. Storage in sealed plastic bags in the freezer is an excellent way to keep balloons for a very long time (several years in fact). If you live in a tropical climate try a combination of ziplock bags full of balloons stored inside of tightly capped metal containers such as coffee cans, biscuit or cookie tins, etc., then store the tins in as cool a place as you can find in your space.
      Last edited by BusterBill; 15-08-2019, 04:36.

Comment

• Casey88
        lukmanrewa
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by BusterBill
        General storage advice is to minimize exposure to heat, sunlight and oxygen -- those two factors contribute the most the rapid aging of latex. Vacuum sealers work wonders to prevent oxidation for those that have a FoodSaver or similar consumer vacuum sealer. Storage in sealed plastic bags in the freezer is an excellent way to keep balloons for a very long time (several years in fact). If you live in a tropical climate try a combination of ziplock bags full of balloons stored inside of tightly capped metal containers such as coffee cans, biscuit or cookie tins, etc., then store the tins in as cool a place as you can find in your space.
        Couldnt agree more. I always do that.

Comment

• Meililoon
          aka lyckr
          • Sep 2014

I store most of my balloons in zip-lock bags these days and have all of them in a big plastic box in my wardrobe. Temps rarely go above 25c in there, so most of them are doing fine
          I've also started separating fresh and used balloons, so fresh ones won't get any moisture on them.

Comment

• PBK
            • Mar 2019

I have an absolutely huge collection that I'm in the process of re-organizing, sorting and purging.
            I have a bit of a hoarding problem when it comes to balloons.
            I can't buy small. I buy massive quantities at a time if available. I'm working on that.

Anyway, some of my balloons are over 14 years old and still reliably inflate big and full. For example, I found a bunch of vintage South American agates that are AT LEAST 14 years stored and I got my wife to inflate a few with the mattress pump and they blew up big and soft and feel quite durable. They haven't popped yet. I found a bunch of Italian fluted 24" rounds I bought at least 10 years ago from KBI and the 3 we inflated are also big, very full and going strong.
            I second that 2 specific brands, Tuf Tex and Unique don't store well. Tuf Tex, (as much as I love the brand) has had several bags discarded because they were very hard. Unique/Mexico balloons don't have a long shelf life, either. I was sad to throw away a bunch of very stiff Unique head and body dolls. I don't think they're made anymore, either.

I store my collection in my basement, in a dark closet, in opaque Rubbermaid plastic tubs that seal well. My basement is cool. I have AC in the house for the hot summer months.

I'm a phobic non popper. I have to absolutely 100% trust that the balloon won't pop. Therefore occasionally some of my older but still possibly good balloons get donated to the long term care section of the hospital, local youth clubs, the church, other charities.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎