Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • condensatelover
    • Jan 2022

My friend's birthday balloons.

There is a photo of balloons from my friend's birthday. Her birthday is on April, 2.
    When I came, there were some balloons just on floor, and some modelling balloons. There were lots of people, and they already were celebrating the bday. Then we decided to go for a walk. When we were walking in the park, some volunteers gave us uninflated purple metallic balloons and sticks. Everyone was inflating balloons. Me too. On the left you can see balloon blown up by me, and on the right you can see my friend's balloon, but it was inflated by another girl, because this girl was totally afraid of blowing balloons. When we came home to drink tea and to eat cake, my balloon was already clear, but balloon blown up by girl still had condensation and saliva marks inside.
    Attached Files
  • RLMI
    • Jul 2021

Re: My friend's birthday balloons.

Wow she blew it up pretty tight. It has a good neck beginning to form. Did she know it was getting overinflated?

Comment

• condensatelover
      • Jan 2022

RLMI, definitely. Looks like she is a looner.

Comment

• izzyrob
        • Oct 2018

Just because someone overinflated a balloon doesn’t make them a looner…

Comment

• blnlvr2012
          • Nov 2017

Overinflation doesn't make them a looner but damn, isn't wonderful when a woman takes it upon herself to blow up balloons to the max without encouragement?!

Comment

• RLMI
            • Jul 2021

True, overinflating doesn't necessarily make a person "something" but it's thrilling to see them blow a balloon to the max by themselves. Someone must have shown them that once and they've since kept doing so.

Over here I'd say about 50% of people will naturally get a bit of a neck to form when blowing balloons up and maybe 20% will keep going further till the neck is swelled up.

There's a juice place nearby that replenishes their decoration balloons each Monday morning and the balloons are always pearl ones blown up with good necks

Comment

• Loonatic
              Balloons + Feet
              • Apr 2016

I always love the ladies who err on the side of way too big when inflating haha. I've noticed that normally people fall into two camps with balloons: blow them up too much because they're just inflating until the balloon is full, or blow them up too little because they're afraid or at least conscious about them popping.

There's also the bonus category of balloon professionals/enthusiasts/artist who actually know more about balloon sizing and they usually inflate them to rated size and shape.

This is all just speaking from my experience/observations and involving non-looner generalizations. I'm not too married to this idea either so take it as you will, just a thought on the topic haha.

Comment

• Common Loon
                • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Loonatic
                I've noticed that normally people fall into two camps with balloons: blow them up too much because they're just inflating until the balloon is full, or blow them up too little because they're afraid or at least conscious about them popping.

There's also the bonus category of balloon professionals/enthusiasts/artist who actually know more about balloon sizing and they usually inflate them to rated size and shape.
                LOL, this is one of my favorite things to obsess over when it comes to "balloon psychology". Imagining how everyday people would answer the question: when you blow up a balloon, how do you know when to stop?

Because clearly there is so much variety in how people do it, and most people probably don't even have a conscious answer to that question, they just kinda stop when it "feels right" to stop. Maybe their parents or a friend gave them some pointer or rule of thumb at a young age when they were learning, or maybe it's just as likely that they developed their habit through experimentation on their own. It's not like this is something that anyone learns in school, after all -- at least, not yet until I take total control of the world's educational systems

I do agree that probably the most reliable predictors are the ones you describe. If balloons have an above-average salience for someone, either because they are a professional decorator, a looner, or are consciously thinking/worrying about the balloon popping in the process, you can generally guess their typical inflation levels when left to their own devices.

But there are also people (who I don't understand whatsoever lol) for whom balloons just aren't as salient or interesting - they're not super excited about or knowledgeable of them, but they also don't give a moment's thought about whether they might pop. I think these people are the ones most likely to just blow until the balloon feels much harder to blow into. Which, for everyday-sized balloons, usually results in very tight balloons that either neck during inflation, or neck in the process of trying to tie. (Or, of course, do not long survive.) Often, for these people, "balloon" and "beach ball" occupy the same category in their mind, and they might even call a beach ball a "balloon" - I've heard that before - and so their heuristic for inflating balloons is the same as for beach balls. Stop when it gets hard to blow.

It's not reckless, even if I personally kinda think it is, it's just... "unconcerned." In a way it's the way I wish I could be when I blow up balloons, just give not a single eff and make 'em huge. But I think way too much about balloons to ever attain that level of zen
                Last edited by Common Loon; 14-04-2022, 00:28. Reason: Expansion ;)

Comment

• Loonatic
                  Balloons + Feet
                  • Apr 2016

Haha good points! I had a time where I experienced all types in one room:

I was out of town for a friends surprise birthday party and someone came out with a couple bags of 11"/12"balloons to inflate for decorations. Everyone was blowing away and most were pretty wimpy except my wife and I who inflated ours to just over rated size.

However, there was one guy there who would just grab a balloon, blow blow blow, tie, and pick up the next. Well, he either picked up a 9"er or something was up with this loon because it went blow blow BANG real quick and boy what a bang that was. Our airBnB was a tiny little house with nothing but hard surfaces and it was quite the jolt.

He was like "oh man that was not supposed to happen, my bad!" then went right back to inflation factory mode like it never happened lol —*he was a bit more careful afterward though, only slightly overinflated.

All that to say, that was a funny little array of what we were talking about. Most people just blew them up until they were acceptable. Me, a looner, inflating to just over rated size. My wife, not a looner, but knowledgeable of rated size doing the same. Then mr blows n goes puffing them til they pop over there without meaning to or a care in the world :P

Anyways, it's a funny memory that covers all the bases lol

Comment

I think that for the majority of people not knowing how big a balloon is supposed to get is rather common, I mean I've always felt pretty funny about balloons but it wasn't until my early 20's that I really started to explore this fetish, and the thing is that because I'm phobic as well I avoided blowing up balloons for the majority of my life which has in fact twice lead to me doing un-intentional b2p's because I had no idea how big the balloon was supposed to get and just thinking "this doesn't look fully inflated yet" both of those instances might be why I am very aware of how big I blow balloons now adays

Comment

• Katielynn
                      Expert Blower
                      • May 2012

Even in my youth I was a chronic overinflator. I just didn’t know any better. No one really told me how big they were supposed to be or gave me a rule of thumb. I just knew bigger was better!

My dad would btp balloons for us when were younger. I just knew balloons were supposed to pop - either now or later - and so the pop didn’t bother me. It was just part of what balloons did. I thought it was funny to watch my dad blow and blow and then be startled when it finally burst. So when I was able to blow my own balloons I just blew them up big! Sometimes it was fun to make them go Bang! Other times I’d play with them for a bit and pop them later. Sometimes they’d stay around too long and get all wrinkly and my mom would take scissors to them. I never really thought about it much.

But in high school, as a cheerleader, when we had events with balloons I could never understand why the other girls made theirs so small and wimpy. I assumed they were just lazy and didn’t want to blow that much or were just trying to hurry through and get them all done if we were using helium. It didn’t occur to me that they may be thinking of or even afraid of the pop.

Today though I am much more aware of how big people blow their balloons and how much bigger they could get and how few people really take them to what I consider “full”, even when they start to get a tiny amount of neck. But now being aware of Looners, I do wonder when it see a truly sexy long-neck beauty
                      I love to hear the BOOM!

Comment

• Cadillac
                        • Jan 2022

Good lord Katielynn, I wish I would have gone to high school with you. I always loved it when the cheerleaders would decorate the team locker room. I used to always try and guess who blew up the balloons. Somehow, I imagine I would have been able to figure out which balloons you blew up - assuming they didn’t pop.

Comment

• Katielynn
                          Expert Blower
                          • May 2012

I don’t think any of mine ever survived the day. Lol
                          But I think it was the boys that popped them during the day rather than anything spontaneous.

But I did love to do a btp when we were there early in the morning, just us girls. I always claimed it was accidental, but that tile floor and the metal lockers made from some great echoing bangs first thing in the morning. Hehe. (Sorry phobics! I didn’t know you existed back then. I didn’t mean to upset anyone!)
                          I love to hear the BOOM!

Comment

• Bubblyzzz
                            • Jul 2017

Grinz at Katie!

Comment

• Seidenki
                              • Dec 2016

For a while, one of the more popular brands of 12" balloons sold everywhere here had a diagram on the back showing "correct inflation". It had no neck. I'm sure a not insignificant number of people learnt what a 'full balloon' meant from that...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎