Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tookus
    • Nov 2019

Re: Rubberized Inflatables

I rubberized these armbands and they feel incredible.

Comment

• TowableStretch
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by bolgaim
      A cheaper alternative to Sculpey is Cernit Magic Mix. Has the same effect as Sculpey, but comes in a larger bottle (80 ml). I have used this several times on various toys with success.
      I directly ordered 5 bottles! Didn’t knew about this brand but they are cheaper than Sculpey. Thanks!

Comment

• SirSquishy
        • Mar 2020

Are there any health risks to using rubberizing solutions? Sounds like I would love the result of rubberizing inflatables, but don't want to inadvertently harm myself if I rub certain body parts all over the inflatable.

Comment

• Roye
          • Jun 2018

Originally posted by SirSquishy
          Are there any health risks to using rubberizing solutions? Sounds like I would love the result of rubberizing inflatables, but don't want to inadvertently harm myself if I rub certain body parts all over the inflatable.
          Hello, using Sculpey Clay Softener or other alternative is completely harmless!! What these softeners use is a plasticizer called ATBC or Acetyl Tributyl Citrate.

Here's a link to an information page about the chemical:
          TCC’s NatureFlexx 509 (ATBC, Acetyl Tri-n-Butyl Citrate) plasticizer is a nontoxic, innocuous, tributyl ester that affords a wide range of benefits when used as a plasticizer in aqueous and solvent-based polymers. These polymers include acrylic, methacrylic, ethylcellulose, hydroxymethyl cellulose, nitro cellulose, vinyl acetate, vinyl chloride, vinylpyrrolidone vinylide chloride and urethane polymer formulations. NatureFlexx 509 plasticizer is a colorless, transparent oily liquid that is soluble in most organic solvents. This low volatility compound is compatible with a wide variety of resins, and has a good plasticization effect. The product’s resistance to cold temperatures and light exposure is similar to that of tributyl citrate, and water resistance is better. Applications TCC’s NatureFlexx 509 (ATBC) plasticizer is an innocuous plasticizer mainly used as a plasticizer of PVC, cellulose resin and synthetic rubber. It is also used in grain and produce food packaging materials, medical products, soft toys for children, and cosmetics. NatureFlexx 509 plasticizer is also used as a stabilizer of polyvinylidene chloride. Specifications NatureFlexx 509 Spec TCC – Click Here To Download Shipping Information TCC’s NatureFlexx 509 (Acetyl Tri-n-Butyl Citrate) plasticizer is available for shipping throughout the continental United States with one (1) week lead time. Please call (401) 360-2800 for details. The product is delivered in metal drums, totes, and bulk containers.

Quoted from that page: "TCC’s NatureFlexx 509 (ATBC, Acetyl Tri-n-Butyl Citrate) plasticizer is a nontoxic, innocuous, tributyl ester that affords a wide range of benefits when used as a plasticizer in aqueous and solvent-based polymers."

And even further down: "It is also used in grain and produce food packaging materials, medical products, soft toys for children, and cosmetics."

So as you can see, the chemical is non toxic and is even used in food packaging and makeup products!! I say you have nothing to worry about. Have a good day!

Comment

• SirSquishy
            • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Roye
            Hello, using Sculpey Clay Softener or other alternative is completely harmless!! What these softeners use is a plasticizer called ATBC or Acetyl Tributyl Citrate.

Here's a link to an information page about the chemical:
            TCC’s NatureFlexx 509 (ATBC, Acetyl Tri-n-Butyl Citrate) plasticizer is a nontoxic, innocuous, tributyl ester that affords a wide range of benefits when used as a plasticizer in aqueous and solvent-based polymers. These polymers include acrylic, methacrylic, ethylcellulose, hydroxymethyl cellulose, nitro cellulose, vinyl acetate, vinyl chloride, vinylpyrrolidone vinylide chloride and urethane polymer formulations. NatureFlexx 509 plasticizer is a colorless, transparent oily liquid that is soluble in most organic solvents. This low volatility compound is compatible with a wide variety of resins, and has a good plasticization effect. The product’s resistance to cold temperatures and light exposure is similar to that of tributyl citrate, and water resistance is better. Applications TCC’s NatureFlexx 509 (ATBC) plasticizer is an innocuous plasticizer mainly used as a plasticizer of PVC, cellulose resin and synthetic rubber. It is also used in grain and produce food packaging materials, medical products, soft toys for children, and cosmetics. NatureFlexx 509 plasticizer is also used as a stabilizer of polyvinylidene chloride. Specifications NatureFlexx 509 Spec TCC – Click Here To Download Shipping Information TCC’s NatureFlexx 509 (Acetyl Tri-n-Butyl Citrate) plasticizer is available for shipping throughout the continental United States with one (1) week lead time. Please call (401) 360-2800 for details. The product is delivered in metal drums, totes, and bulk containers.

Quoted from that page: "TCC’s NatureFlexx 509 (ATBC, Acetyl Tri-n-Butyl Citrate) plasticizer is a nontoxic, innocuous, tributyl ester that affords a wide range of benefits when used as a plasticizer in aqueous and solvent-based polymers."

And even further down: "It is also used in grain and produce food packaging materials, medical products, soft toys for children, and cosmetics."

So as you can see, the chemical is non toxic and is even used in food packaging and makeup products!! I say you have nothing to worry about. Have a good day!
            Thank you! Very helpful!

Originally posted by Tookus
            I rubberized these armbands and they feel incredible.
            What brand of armbands are these, and where can I get some?

Comment

• Tookus
              • Nov 2019

I bought them here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adult-Kid-S...r=671623015929

Comment

• SirSquishy
                • Mar 2020

Originally posted by Tookus
                Thanks!

Comment

• numbnutz
                  • Nov 2020

I just finished rubberizing the Inflatable World shark. I used Cernit Magic Mix. I used 5 bottles. It's a big shark! I used some left over Sculpey for the fins. I probably used too much, but I really like 'em soft and rubbery. I had to do a little reinforcing of the seams, but one heck of a ride.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎