X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Merl
    Hopper research dept.
    • Apr 2021

Design your perfect hopper

Pretend money is no object and a good plastics company will work with you to make exactly what you want. What would you have manufactured for yourself? You have four areas to design: shape, size, handle type, and material/color.

Shape: usually a sphere (ball) but can also be oblong/egg shaped (vertically or horizontally) or various animal shapes. Something else? Your imagination is the limit.

Size: there's such a thing as too small but huge ain't necessarily better. What fully inflated size is just right for you?

Handle: gotta have something to hold on to. One ring, double rings, horns, sticks, connected sticks, T handle, square, low rectangle...then decide the direction the handle is oriented.

Material and color: most likely PVC but vinyl formulas vary widely, from softer and stretchier to firmer and more resilient. The right formula for actual rubber (latex) could be used too.

What would you come up with? Upload sketches if it helps.
    Last edited by Merl; 05-01-2023, 18:27.
  • frenchy
    • Sep 2018

Re: Design your perfect hopper

Actually this is possible - inner tube rubber like the thickness from a 28r26 logger/skidder/agriculture tire tube with tr218A valve and solid rubber loop handle. 75 or 80cm diameter inflated size ball. Also, a Rody Horse 22” at seat when inflated normally and not need to be overinflated past the manufacturers recommended size with rubbery material like the current Rody Jumbo. 100cm long and 55 to 50cm wide.

Comment

• Merl
      Hopper research dept.
      • Apr 2021

I do like the idea of one made of thick rubber.

Sizewise, I'd like slightly taller than wider, 26" high at the seat, 23" or 24" across.

Firmer with a stiffer bounce vs stretchy and flabby. Color doesn't matter but it was rubber, black or a vintage looking deep red.

My ideal handle would be two separate low rings in a shallow V shape, wider apart towards the seat but angled together at the front...your middle knuckles would be against the ball...this would give the most natural grip angle, I think.

Comment

• Spacehopper
        Hopper
        • Mar 2021

Hmm...I'll probably submit a few as time goes on..

Shape...Round..i'd like for it to have a thicker base, maybe even with a proper tread pattern for grip (Not those really thin rings)..but definitely a thicker base, for wear and tear..but thicker, stretchier vinyl to accomodate adults...and overinflation!

Size..26-34" inches...Maybe if there's models from one to another, and with the stretchier vinyl, it could support overinflation

Handles..Horns\Sticks...be cool if they were quite chubby, and had indents or something so they didn't slip..

Material...Vinyl..it's tougher

Comment

• Merl
          Hopper research dept.
          • Apr 2021

Handles..Horns\Sticks...be cool if they were quite chubby, and had indents or something so they didn't slip.
          Something like this? They'd fit over sticks and, with glue, could be applied over ribbed horns.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Merl; 07-01-2023, 17:19.

Comment

• Spacehopper
            Hopper
            • Mar 2021

Originally posted by Merl
            Something like this? They'd fit over sticks and, with glue, could be applied over ribbed horns.
            Yup...that'd do..but I'm thinking chunkier, thicker handles too

Comment

• ballhopser
              • May 2019

I would prefere thicker handles also. A nice SPH would nevgreat as well. This would give a lot of possibilities playing with the Hopper.

Comment

• Merl
                Hopper research dept.
                • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Spacehopper
                definitely a thicker base, for wear and tear.
                Good idea. I cut a circle from a busted hopper to glue to the bottom of another one. It worked fine until deflation when the glue pulled off as the ball shrank. But if if it's never deflated it should hold for awhile. Stretchy tape works too.

Two self-stick felt squares, 8x11 inch, cut way down on noise from a tile floor.

Comment

• Merl
                  Hopper research dept.
                  • Apr 2021

Money no issue...

I'd approach Ledragomma to make the molds for a 32" donut with handles, an adult horsehead hopper ball, and an exact copy of the Sun Hoppity Hop that's 27", all made from a heavier thickness of their Hop! 66 vinyl.

Also like the idea of each of these made from industrial inner tube rubber.
                  Last edited by Merl; 03-07-2023, 20:41.

Comment

• Spacehopper
                    Hopper
                    • Mar 2021

Originally posted by Merl
                    Money no issue...

I'd approach Ledragomma to make the molds for a 32" donut with handles, an adult horsehead hopper ball, and an exact copy of the Sun Hoppity Hop that's 27", all made from a heavier thickness of their Hop! 66 vinyl.

Also like the idea of each of these made from industrial inner tube rubber.
                    Works for me - I guess I need to give a donut a go to see what the benefit is

Ledra made a horsehead ball, using the Rody head...it was called 'My Rody' or something similar..but yes..an adult version is overdue!

Comment

• Merl
                      Hopper research dept.
                      • Apr 2021

Adults will race on the stupid pool vinyl ones and the cloth covered ones, so one that's more seriously made should sell well. A true adult size My Rody would work.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎