plasticized my first inflatable (beachball)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seancody
    • Jan 2021

plasticized my first inflatable (beachball)

used the method from heath dragon on youtube. was my first try, and to my surprise, it worked really well.

i bought some intex beachballs a while ago. i didn't expect them to be so stiff. so i'll probably do that to all i have left as well.

also the plasticized beachball has a really high friction now. i'm not sure, but i assume it's because i injected a lot of the ATBC softener. i like it though, so it's no problem.

on the first picture i compared it to the same intex ball but untreated. the softened beachball is overinflated though.

i've also made a squeak test video of it:

Attached Files
  • bill.mcgavok
    • Mar 2022

Re: plasticized my first inflatable (beachball)

How much did you use? I used about a third of a bottle on a 24" intex ball and it feels pretty soft now.

Comment

• seancody
      • Jan 2021

oh damnn. i just used around 1/5 of a 100ml bottle. or how big was ur bottle? maybe i should use more in the future as well

Comment

• bill.mcgavok
        • Mar 2022

I got the 1 ml sculpey liquid clay softener. When I get a chance, I'll try to post the results on here.

Comment

• SirSquishy
          • Mar 2020

I was curious about the safety of sculpey clay softener, and came across this: http://www.dick-blick.com/msds/DBH_SDS_339131003.pdf

It seems to be safe, non-hazardous, in case anyone else was wondering.

Comment

• Unicks
            • Nov 2020

The smaller bottles of the Sculpey clay softener are 30ml from what I remember. I will say this though, the clay softener may have something else in there as well despite the MSDS data.

Anyone here that has done the vinyl plasticizer gamut will most likely agree that there are differences to the ATBC or CAS 77-90-7 you buy from a reputable chemical supply and the Sculpey clay softener. I have purchased ATBC by the litre (Citroflex) and found differing results between the two.

The difference? The Sculpey product seems to make the glue and pinch weld seams quite a bit weaker, regular labeled ATBC doesn't. I took 4 intex swim rings and identically treated half with ATBC and the other two with a half bottle of Sculpey's Clay Softener or 15ml each. I leave them sit for a few days and then test. The items will inflate to approximately 40% more than original, more than that will result in a seam rupture in the Sculpey items. With ATBC, I've blown stuff up like balloons before the seams fail. The inflatable world swim rings are awesome for this, they get absolutely huge and feel so soft but are still really strong.

Good luck!

U

Comment

• SirSquishy
              • Mar 2020

For anyone interested, here's a tox report on ATBC: https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/Tox...0of%20ATBC.pdf

edit: also found this with lots of useful info on atbc: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/com...ibutyl-citrate

Originally posted by seancody
              used the method from heath dragon on youtube.
              I tried looking for this video and couldn't find it. Have a link you can share?
              Last edited by SirSquishy; 09-04-2022, 02:23.

Comment

• seancody
                • Jan 2021

Originally posted by SirSquishy
                I tried looking for this video and couldn't find it. Have a link you can share?
                oh yeah sure. sorry, could have posted it earlier..

In this video I show how the application of ATBC (Acetyltributylcitrate), a plasticizer, can soften a pool toy and give it a rubbery feel. As a warning, the ...

Comment

• DarkDiesel
                  • Dec 2022

It is true that small bottles of Sculpey are quite expensive.

On which site, or which company did you find this famous bottle of ATBC plasticizer CAS 77-90-7? I searched everywhere, Amazon, Ebay and elsewhere on the internet and I found nothing except some chemical websites with blue drums..!

I don't want his big blue drums because a single drum takes up a lot of space and they are quite heavy..

But just a bottle of what to save some of my inflatables which are very hard in a few places, I'm afraid they will end up cracking and losing air so much that their vinyl is dry. Do you have any idea where we can find this ATBC so that I can save them?

Thanks very much !

Comment

• squeaky_lover
                    • Jan 2023

If someone want use no toxix pvc plasticizer i can suggest Triethyl Citrate. It can be foud easily in cosmetics online shop for low price. Tested on Intex and Bestway beachball and works great as ATBC. Very bouncy beachball and squeaky when overinflated. More application of small amount of solution give out the best result, then leave the pool toy absorbe. I assume the proportion of 1/20 of the weight of inflatable for the first application.

Comment

• Whale Rider
                      • Nov 2022

Originally posted by seancody
                      used the method from heath dragon on youtube. was my first try, and to my surprise, it worked really well.

i bought some intex beachballs a while ago. i didn't expect them to be so stiff. so i'll probably do that to all i have left as well.

also the plasticized beachball has a really high friction now. i'm not sure, but i assume it's because i injected a lot of the ATBC softener. i like it though, so it's no problem.

on the first picture i compared it to the same intex ball but untreated. the softened beachball is overinflated though.

i've also made a squeak test video of it:

https://youtu.be/VVF1QGI6hAU

congrats :-) keep on riding.

what was your ATBC source?

how much is... a lot?

Comment

• Whale Rider
                        • Nov 2022

Originally posted by SirSquishy
                        I was curious about the safety of sculpey clay softener, and came across this: http://www.dick-blick.com/msds/DBH_SDS_339131003.pdf

It seems to be safe, non-hazardous, in case anyone else was wondering.
                        ATBC "decays" in the evironment into butanol and citric acid if i remember correctly. Both are typically then further downgraded pretty fast... you should not drink it but its pretty safe.

Comment

• Whale Rider
                          • Nov 2022

Originally posted by Unicks
                          The smaller bottles of the Sculpey clay softener are 30ml from what I remember. I will say this though, the clay softener may have something else in there as well despite the MSDS data.

Anyone here that has done the vinyl plasticizer gamut will most likely agree that there are differences to the ATBC or CAS 77-90-7 you buy from a reputable chemical supply and the Sculpey clay softener. I have purchased ATBC by the litre (Citroflex) and found differing results between the two.

The difference? The Sculpey product seems to make the glue and pinch weld seams quite a bit weaker, regular labeled ATBC doesn't. I took 4 intex swim rings and identically treated half with ATBC and the other two with a half bottle of Sculpey's Clay Softener or 15ml each. I leave them sit for a few days and then test. The items will inflate to approximately 40% more than original, more than that will result in a seam rupture in the Sculpey items. With ATBC, I've blown stuff up like balloons before the seams fail. The inflatable world swim rings are awesome for this, they get absolutely huge and feel so soft but are still really strong.

Good luck!

U
                          ATBC is technically pure. That typically means its with residues from the production that have not been distilled. Clay softener has most likely a ton of other stuff in it. for example to change the color, smell, viscosity, cheaper inert filleer material and so on. Stupid question for what purpose does one need clay softener.... except to soften inflatables which does not seem to be the main purpose... why do you want to soften.. clay?

Edit: I forgot, softening the infla typically lessens the tensile strength necessary to rip the vinyl sheet. The highest stress areas are often the seam. so dont use to much

Comment

• Whale Rider
                            • Nov 2022

Originally posted by squeaky_lover
                            If someone want use no toxix pvc plasticizer i can suggest Triethyl Citrate. It can be foud easily in cosmetics online shop for low price. Tested on Intex and Bestway beachball and works great as ATBC. Very bouncy beachball and squeaky when overinflated. More application of small amount of solution give out the best result, then leave the pool toy absorbe. I assume the proportion of 1/20 of the weight of inflatable for the first application.
                            the downside of TEC it is much more water soluble. so playing in water will slowly leach the softener out of the inflatable. how fast I dont know but definitely much faster than ATBC.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎