Old 31-03-2019, 04:57 AM

Smothered by tits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Baking
Sadly i don't have that sort of disposable income.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:21 AM

Unicks is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone tried the newer Cattex crystals?

I have tried the usual 190F for 10mins. and found no real significant gains in size or softness, compared to one that was just out of the bag. They seem stiff and quite firm when inflated.

Is it possible the Cattex crystals need some different thermal love? I baked 2 Cattex LN32 balloons together for 10mins @190F, both regular clear and not the new crystal colored. They were perfect! Inflated to over 36" first time, same result with their LN32 standard colors as well.

The 2 clear LN32s were put through some stress testing and did not disappoint either! I use one of those x-power pet dryers for inflating these monsters, 40+ inches is not a problem, so is riding them at this size at over 100Kg!

Does anyone know if Thirtythreerooms or BalloonDorado do this to make those Cattex balloons look that much bigger?.. especially the necks!

So if there is something I may be missing with the colored Cattex crystals, please help out!

Thanks

U
Old 11-11-2020, 08:34 PM
Master Over Inflator

onemoreblow is on a distinguished road
I've had similar trouble with certain colors.. like they added something heat resistant to the latex.

https://www.reviewed.com/cooking/fea...actually-works

A friend suggested and I haven't tried this yet, but instant pot makes an air fryer with a rotisserie that might work great for getting them to heat up evenly.
Old 22-11-2020, 05:54 PM

Great idea with using the tumbling oven tho! I have one of their air-fryers which turns out to be a piece of crap, it tips over backward when you open the lid. Now try that when its at 400F.

In my case, I have a gas convection oven that is monitored by a very accurate thermometer, so even heating is not really a problem.

I find the clear latex balloons from Cattex share very little with the Crystals, if you treat the regular clear latex with 10 minutes @290F, they become like condoms.. but still amazingly strong! Try the same with the newer crystals.. no real change. So the latex formulation is obviously different. Like you mentioned, possibly an additive making the latex more heat resistant, which I doubt was really their intention.. possibly something for the color.

Ultimately, I would like to get the same reaction with the Cattex crystal latex as with their clear and standard formulations, without having to inflate them a couple times before baking them.

Remember the "old shape" of the SA24? I tried a couple from my stash that went a bit firm over the years, 5 minutes @290F and if you could stand the sulphur smell.. they are fantastic!

Cheers!

U
Old 23-11-2020, 06:33 PM
Master Over Inflator

I can speak for the tumbler method being superior, as long as the basket is not too close to the bottom heating element, or a setting to disable this. I bought one and modified it to use only the top element. Thanks I will give the clear cattex a try!
Old 27-11-2020, 03:45 AM

OverTheTop is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Unicks View Post
Great idea with using the tumbling oven tho! I have one of their air-fryers which turns out to be a piece of crap, it tips over backward when you open the lid. Now try that when its at 400F.

In my case, I have a gas convection oven that is monitored by a very accurate thermometer, so even heating is not really a problem.

I find the clear latex balloons from Cattex share very little with the Crystals, if you treat the regular clear latex with 10 minutes @290F, they become like condoms.. but still amazingly strong! Try the same with the newer crystals.. no real change. So the latex formulation is obviously different. Like you mentioned, possibly an additive making the latex more heat resistant, which I doubt was really their intention.. possibly something for the color.

Ultimately, I would like to get the same reaction with the Cattex crystal latex as with their clear and standard formulations, without having to inflate them a couple times before baking them.

Remember the "old shape" of the SA24? I tried a couple from my stash that went a bit firm over the years, 5 minutes @290F and if you could stand the sulphur smell.. they are fantastic!

Cheers!

U
I think it comes down to the specific color with the crystals - I've baked a crystal orange and crystal blue GL700, and the orange one was much softer (although not so much as clear ones) while the blue one wasn't very different from before.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:08 AM
Master Over Inflator

I can confirm this oven works great for baking balloons on the rotisserie setting. Start around 35 minutes with 260 degrees F and go up from there.

https://www.amazon.com/CROWNFUL-Conv.../dp/B087WW1W78

The included basket does not have a flap to help flip the balloons as it rotates, so they sit in one spot without moving... you could get creative and add one, or a better basket with a flap is like this one instead:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grill-Roast...m/383775397509
Old 06-12-2020, 05:44 PM

I have to agree with colors having a bit of influence as to how soft the latex will be, orange, yellow and sometimes red. Now whether or not it's the actual formulation of the particular color's latex or the reaction those materials are having to heat is the question.

Is this process actually causing a cross-linking bond of the polymers used in the rubber formulation? I've mentioned it before as annealing, because vulcanizing uses a cross-linker material like sulphur generally. Thermoset rubber is usually rigid as well, but that is ultimately left up to the polymers added to the rubber prior to thermal vulcanizing. It would be interesting to know what is being added to their latex for these balloons, as it is much different than the regular ones.

I worked in the plastics industry (pipe) years ago and there was a guy that would mix up the hoppers of base materials like a mad scientist! We would have special utility orders for kilometres of flexible poly gas pipe, he would show me the differences of what materials and what they did. Like lube for the thermo extruder and pigments to color it etc. I think I would have had more fun working in a balloon factory, that is for sure!

U