Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoudPopper
    • Jan 2016

Toys-R-Us and possible HUGE balloon chance

Hey everyone. My baby is on the way in a little over 8 weeks, which is just crazy. Lately, my wife has gone into full nesting mode trying to make sure that our house is ready and we have all of our baby stuff. So what’s this even have to do with balloons? We had a baby registry at Babies-R-Us, which is owned by Toys-R-Us. If you’re not familiar with the toy store chain or not from the US, they were once the biggest and most popular toy chain in the country. More importantly, they were known for their very own legendary “Toys-R-Us" print balloons, which I think they were 16”ers at one point. Anyways, my wife has been all over the internet following what’s been going on with the toy store and baby store as of late because of what's been going on with them basically makes our registry defunct. If you haven’t heard, the once giant toy store is filing for bankruptcy and going out of business. They are going into full liquidation of all of their stock across the country starting on the 16th. I went into my local store today to ask about sales on baby stuff and maybe a new PS4 Pro, and learned that starting next Thursday locally, the store is starting their liquidation of their last location in my city.

Of course I’m pumped about maybe getting a bunch of baby stuff and maybe a PlayStation on the cheap but it had me thinking. I didn’t even think to ask this when I was there. If everything has got to go, doesn’t mean that all of their print balloons gotta go too? I dunno, they might not have any, but one thing is for sure. The legendary Toys-R-Us balloons will be completely discontinued and go the way of the Do-Do bird and become extinct… much like our beloved Q24! I’m not sure what their modern balloons look like, I think they’re still 16”ers with just the new logo printed on them. I’m probably gonna stop by tomorrow and ask if they still have them. If so, who knows… they don’t even sell those balloons normally… they might want next to nothing or nothing at all for literally the last of their balloons at the store.

There could be a whole stash of these things! 100s or 1,000’s maybe! Or… there already could be nothing because they already stopped producing their balloons. *Womp womp* Also, I was just thinking that toy stores typically sell balloons. If they’re liquidating, even ALL of their regular balloons gotta go too… for little to next-to-nothing. If you’ve got a Toys-R-Us store near you, I suggest you go check out your situation. Huge chance here… or like I said, maybe not.
    Last edited by LoudPopper; 16-03-2018, 02:27.
  • Vicci
    Blown to bits
    • Oct 2009

Re: Toys-R-Us and possible HUGE balloon chance

I've always wanted to get my hands on some of those toys-r-us balloons, but the stores over here don't have them
    Vicci x

Comment

• Seasider
      • Jan 2016

I am very sad that the toys r us thing has happened, it was always a test to go there as a child and I do remember balloons form the 90s, but as vicci said I don’t think any of the uk stores have had them recently. We are off to Australia towards the end of the year and I intend on buying a load of balloons from the toys r us in Perth WA, they sell them uninflated at the checkout for charity and the are q16 jewel colours I think!! I’ve seen them on the toys r us Aussie website but I’m not sure if they ship to the uk?

On a different note, I buy a lot of printed balloons from a German location on eBay and they currently have q16 toys r us prints for sale. I have attached a picture for reference and I’ve bought from them many times. The balloons have always been perfect and they are always delivered in plain packaging, my neighbour even took a package in (if only they’d known what was inside!!)

Hope this helps, toys r us prints are some of my favs, I have a load of belbal 14 prints but no q16 yet!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Casey88
        lukmanrewa
        • Jun 2012

Correct me if i am wrong but as I am aware the ones going on liquidation are the USA and UK stores and not the Australia ones.

Comment

• Seasider
          • Jan 2016

Yes you are correct, Australia is a stand alone business and on paper continues to trade well.

Comment

• benjballoon
            • Sep 2013

I went in to an Australian TRU store earlier today. 20% off storewide at the moment, even the loons so I grabbed a few. But there was no mention of closing at all, just normal trading and sale as normal.

Comment

• Seasider
              • Jan 2016

Originally posted by benjballoon
              I went in to an Australian TRU store earlier today. 20% off storewide at the moment, even the loons so I grabbed a few. But there was no mention of closing at all, just normal trading and sale as normal.
              Jealous both about the balloons and the likely warmer weather!!

Comment

• LoudPopper
                • Jan 2016

Jeez I learned a lot about TRU balloons that I didn't know! I was actually gonna take Thurs off from work for the TRU sale (mostly for the PS4 Pro and baby stuff), but I decided to go follow up with the local store about balloon availability the next day. Aaaannnnnd.... just like I thought. They weren't selling any normal balloons anymore and they were out of their prints. So a total bust (no pun intended). But so it goes. Based on what everyone is saying on here though all is not lost in terms of picking up a couple of prints online from overseas. Maybe I'll consider getting some for nostalgia. I agree that it's a total shame about what's going on w TRU though. The store for a lot of my friends and people my around my age (in my 30's) holds a special place in our hearts. Anyone feel the same? It's like they were saying that Super Mario was dead or something *womp womp* Whelp, guess I'll pour out a little liquor for TRU. Even though I don't drink... whatever, y'all know what I mean.

Comment

• Popemall

I went by my local one and tried to find some of those Q16 prints left over, sadly no score for me either

Comment

• Jod
                    • Nov 2017

I will most likely be heading to Australia for a family holiday later this year. I got some toys r us balloons from them last year. And I'm a bit worried about them closing down. I most likely will ask them for a bag of 50 q16. As if they do close down the balloon may be a become more rare. I currently have 20 assorted colours in my stash currently. Hopefully the discount is on when I'm there. May sell some in the future if toys r us closes. Hopefully it doesn't happen any time soon. And do they have these in America also as I'm only know that it's in Australia so far.

Comment

• kosmos
                      • May 2017

I wish i could get some Q16 Toys-R-US print balloons, from australia,(i have heard stories of how great australian sanbrook balloons were)

I spoke to my local Toys-r-Us manager and she told unfortunately in many US stores they could not use latex balloons.
                      First there was a danger of kids choking on broken balloons (so some stores used smaller balloons instead, that made no sense to me)
                      Second was allergies, for some reason so many kids had latex allergies, (and adults also), after receiving complaints and to avoid lawsuits they decided to remove latex balloons from stores.

Most stores were told to switch to mylar , but then they got rid of them, they were given no reason as to why.

thats all i could find out from several stores.

Comment

• benjballoon
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by kosmos
                        I wish i could get some Q16 Toys-R-US print balloons, from australia,(i have heard stories of how great australian sanbrook balloons were)

I spoke to my local Toys-r-Us manager and she told unfortunately in many US stores they could not use latex balloons.
                        First there was a danger of kids choking on broken balloons (so some stores used smaller balloons instead, that made no sense to me)
                        Second was allergies, for some reason so many kids had latex allergies, (and adults also), after receiving complaints and to avoid lawsuits they decided to remove latex balloons from stores.

Most stores were told to switch to mylar , but then they got rid of them, they were given no reason as to why.

thats all i could find out from several stores.
                        Have a look and see if you're able to purchase them off the Australian website. I'm a local and have one half an hour away, but I did see them on there a while ago. You might be a bit lucky with the currency exchange rates too.
                        Last edited by benjballoon; 21-04-2018, 01:17. Reason: Typo

Comment

• kosmos
                          • May 2017

Originally posted by benjballoon
                          Have a look and see if you're able to purchase them off the Australian website. I'm a local and have one half an hour away, but I did see them on there a while ago. You might be a bit lucky with the currency exchange rates too.
                          are these it? thanks

(if someone could let me know i would be willing to pay to get some of them,
                          including shipping over here, but i would need to know total cost.)

i tried making an account and speaking to the reps online but they said they only deliver to Australia and NZ

so i got this when making an account
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by kosmos; 21-04-2018, 01:53.

Comment

• benjballoon
                            • Sep 2013

Yes thats them. Pity they don't delivery internationally. I'm never game enough to purchase more than a hand full when I'm face to face, otherwise I would.

Comment

• 9/11 did Bush
                              • Nov 2016

Hey guys,

Sadly I have learnt the toys r us locations on our shores are going under. I'm going to go out and get a few. Wish me luck

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎