Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mazilon
    • Mar 2017

Electric pump nozzle adapters for large balloons

I own a decent, run-of-the-mill electric balloon pump, which works wonderfully as a balloon pump, except that when trying to inflate larger balloons, the pump nozzle is way too small. For relatively small loons like 16-18 inchers, I can wrap my palm around the nozzle and form a somewhat airtight seal, but I've always struggled to do this for anything with a wider mouth.

I've searched several places on the 'net for a sort of "adapter" that would go right over a normal sized pump nozzle that would hold large balloons in place, but no luck. I've seen these being used in videos but cannot for the life of me figure out what they're called or where to buy one.. could someone point me in the right direction?
  • LoneLoonRider
    • Jan 2017

Re: Electric pump nozzle adapters for large balloons

You might be looking for this? https://www.balloons-united.com/en/a...n-valve-l.html

You can also make your own one-way valve to any size with PVC tubing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG6own141z0

Comment

• craggy2012
      • Jan 2012

They’re still somewhat leaky I’ve found and a big balloon will still blow one of these out of its neck unless you wrap a decent elastic band around it where the indent is.

Comment

• Mazilon
        • Mar 2017

Fantastic ideas! I'll give the DIY route a shot!

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
          Banned
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by LoneLoonRider
          Personally, those giant valves are a waste of money, I'm afraid. The're too big to be comfortably and safely used on giant balloons, as you really have to stretch the neck of the balloon so tightly, there's risk of damaging and tearing the latex.

They're also of absolutely no use for 24"-36", as they're way too big.

Personally, I would go to a DIY merchants, and see if they have any plastic one-way valves/tubing (in their bathroom and/or kitchen sections) that you can cobble together, for less than £5/$5, which is what I ended-up doing. Okay, it's not going to look great, but it more than does the job, and it's peanuts in monetary terms. A far better solution, in my view.

Comment

• john1bl
            • Jan 2014

Have you tried the 3D Print path?

Comment

• OverTheTop
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by john1bl
              Have you tried the 3D Print path?
              Just a warning, 3D printing usually results in porous and hollow parts. Unless you have direct access to a printer that you can choose the settings for, you're likely to end up with a part that isn't air-tight.

If you do have access to a printer, you'll want to set the flow rate 10% or so higher than usual, and you'll want to set infill to 100%. This will result in a part that's completely solid, and with fewer - if any - gaps between layers or extrusions.

Comment

• john1bl
                • Jan 2014

OverTheTop I don't know what type of printers you have worked with but I get air tight a 3 shells and 20% infill. I have printed a few balloon related things . I use PLA or PETG and not ABS because of the warping and splitting that ABS dose when not printed in a chamber.
                Last edited by john1bl; 17-02-2019, 12:39. Reason: Add to post

Comment

• OverTheTop
                  • Dec 2013

OverTheTop I don't know what type of printers you have worked with but I get air tight a 3 shells and 20% infill. I have printed a few balloon related things . I use PLA or PETG and not ABS because of the warping and splitting that ABS dose when not printed in a chamber.
                  Which slicer do you use? Some (simplify 3d for example) use a pretty low flow rate, which leads to gaps.

Comment

• john1bl
                    • Jan 2014

I use cura 3.6.0 to make g code for a CR-10s.

Comment

• Steebs
                      • Sep 2018

Is it possible to get a splitter for a pump that will distribute air evenly across balloons? Or will the most stretched (easiest to inflate) always blow up first

Comment

• OverTheTop
                        • Dec 2013

I use cura 3.6.0 to make g code for a CR-10s.
                        That might be why, in my experience Cura tends to overextrude a bit by default. Could also be differences in the printer itself I suppose, I have an original Printrbot Simple Metal.

Comment

• BalloonBoyUK
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Steebs
                          Is it possible to get a splitter for a pump that will distribute air evenly across balloons? Or will the most stretched (easiest to inflate) always blow up first
                          In answer to the first bit of your question, you can get what are called Y-connectors, that split one source of air-flow into two. However, Physics (and experience) means that even if you do that, even if the airflow is even - which is impossible to do, from using one air supply or source - which balloon is thinnest, stretchiest, or weakest, will inflate first.

As such, it's unlikely you're going to get a system set-up that will evenly inflate more than one balloon at a time, at the exact same rate. Even professional balloon-decorating pumps that claim to do two balloons at the same time, can't, don't and won't inflate them identically. You'll always find one balloon will need to be inflated/deflated a little bit more than the other.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎