Interesting arcade game involving balloons.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • craggy2012
    • Jan 2012

Interesting arcade game involving balloons.

Wandering around one of those seaside places and my partner and I stumbled into one of those arcade places to use an ATM machine...... well bad move on our part as we soon started to drop a few coins into things and the next thing we spent an hour or more in there!

Anyway there we found an interesting game involving hitting a button to stop a light spinning around a display where the idea of the game was to stop the light on a given category called ‘Instant Pop’ where an large (36 inch) balloon would inflate inside the machine based on where you managed to stop the light. There was categories like ‘1 pump’, ‘2 pumps’, ‘3 pumps’, ‘4 pumps’, ‘5 pumps’ and ‘Instant Pop’ if you were lucky to stop it right!

Beneath the slowly growing balloon was a rotating plexiglass circular saw blade and as the balloon got bigger each go eventually the rotating blade would start rubbing the balloon until boom! The balloon was no more. Then the machine would rotate one place and a new balloon was ready to play

Well I’m not one for gambling, too old for hanging around arcades too really, but me n wifey were in hysterics playing this thing as if you were lucky to hit the ‘Instant Pop’ the sound effects were hilarious with these Benny Hill esq high pitched shouks of Eeek and other blowing, squeaking and giggling noises but the actually balloon pop was real and- oh boy was it loud over the noise of everything else going on in there too!

That was the best twenty quid I’ve ever spent in an arcade ever lol!
  • heleo
    • Aug 2015

Re: Interesting arcade game involving balloons.

Hi,
    Which arcade was it?

Comment

• Jimmy22
      Banned
      • May 2017

This is the game.
      Here I Am At Leisure Amuesments in Paignton. Will I get an instant pop?Enjoy!

Comment

• PBK
        • Mar 2019

There's a slightly different variation I first saw several years ago in Las Vegas at the New York, New York Hotel Resort kid's arcade that involves a large (36") balloon being inflated until it bursts. Basically it involves a spinning pointer with a stop button that stops the pointer. It takes precise timing to stop the pointer right at 12:00. If that happens, the balloon inflates until it bursts. If the pointer stops anywhere else, nothing happened except a "FAIL" noise from the machine. There's no rotating blade beneath it but there are sensors that detect the explosion at which point the machine dispenses the grand prize. It was unnerving but I couldn't look away watching a group of people play it. When the balloon burst it sounded like a cannon in there and got EVERYONE'S attention. Then the machine would make all kinds of noises and dispense tickets. About 30 seconds later, a new balloon would begin to inflate as with the spinning blade variation. There were shards of what looked like hundreds of balloon casualties of that game sitting in the bottom of the machine.
        I ordered a case of 100 of the balloons (a "refill pack") no questions asked from the machine vendor service department out of Florida about 10 years ago. They were Qualatex 36" with "Pop It" imprinted on them (some had Dave & Busters prints. Must have accidentally been thrown in there). I no longer have any and when I went to order a new batch they informed me that they don't print them anymore and the price was actually about the same as what I'd pay for that quantity of Q-tex 36's locally so I didn't order any more.

Comment

• LondonLarry
          Could be a chat bot
          • Jul 2019

I read somewhere that by shining a laser pointer at the balloon through the glass could cause it to pop! hence defeating the machine without actually winning correctly?

Comment

• PBK
            • Mar 2019

Heh, yeah! That would be hilarious. Probably illegal to try in some jurisdictions.

There's a video of it on youtube. Doesn't take much searching to find it. I'm not going to post the link because I can't verify that everyone in the video is over 18. Plus as mentioned I'm not sure if this is even legal. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, lol!

Comment

• LondonLarry
              Could be a chat bot
              • Jul 2019

Originally posted by PBK
              Heh, yeah! That would be hilarious. Probably illegal to try in some jurisdictions.

There's a video of it on youtube. Doesn't take much searching to find it. I'm not going to post the link because I can't verify that everyone in the video is over 18. Plus as mentioned I'm not sure if this is even legal. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, lol!
              Yes I can imagine you getting thrown out of the arcade for that!

Comment

• PBK
                • Mar 2019

Originally posted by LondonLarry
                Yes I can imagine you getting thrown out of the arcade for that!
                Yes! That would be a tragedy, wouldn't it?????

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎