Old 03-01-2022, 01:03 AM

lyckr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wanting to take up balloon decorating as a hobby
I'm in a similar position as you, or at least I was when I was younger. Ever since I discovered the fetish, I've loved watching women popping balloons on videos, which over time made me get more comfortable with popping them myself because it looked like a lot of fun. Despite that I still get really anxious around balloons when I'm not in "play mode" and don't have earplugs.

I've often wanted to have balloons around my place after I moved on my own, but I'm usually too nervous to keep them around for long. Maybe I've been really unlucky, but I've had a fair few balloons randomly pop after leaving them inflated for a few hours or days. Oddly enough my worst experiences have been with Qualatex and Belbal, which should be some of the safer brands.

I still try to make some decorations sometimes. My favorite is columns, as they're a lot of fun to wrestle with when it's time to clean up. Balloon-flowers can also be really nice if you have somewhere to hang them up. There should be some good tutorials on Youtube to get you started.

Just a few quick tips based on my own limited decoration experience:
I would recommend learning how to quickly make "duplets" and "quads", as it speeds up the tying process, especially if you have an electric pump with two nozzles. This video shows it really well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNGzfPi2G-8
If you're making an arch/column, I've found that the best thing to use to keep it together is modelling balloons (rather than string or fishing lines). If you tie them together, then stretch them and wrap them around each "quad", it will pull each section against each other, avoiding gaps between the balloons that you might end up with otherwise.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:57 PM
Looner Skunk

Yanzuh is on a distinguished road
In the grand scheme of things this is all for me to be able to pass some time doing something other than playing videogames and if it also helps me get more comfortable around balloons then that's great. I was looking around at therapists in my area that specialize in phobias but the thing is, if I'm in play mode I can sorta stand pops. Like if I were to be at a looner party for example and balloons start popping, if I'm in play mode I will most likely just take a few steps back or plug my ears a bit, if I'm not in play mode reactions could be anything from shrugging it off to panicking and running away. It's a crap shoot at times.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:20 PM
Looner Skunk

I got my stuff in on tuesday and ended up trying to make a little column, it was pretty difficult as I felt really uncomfortable trying to make the bunches. Just twisting the balloons around I always feel like I'm being to rough, even if I'm being as careful as possible. I was also a bit disappointed as the balloons I had ordered were way smaller than I thought they would be, and I mean way smaller. I had a couple of printed pokémon balloons that were 30cm in size and they got to well a good size, these balloons I ordered were supposed to be the same size but got way way way smaller. But yeah I managed to make 2 bunches and put them on the stand. Then I got nervous after having it around for 5ish minutes and just ended up cutting off the neck on all of them without popping them. Haven't had the energy to try again so far. It was pretty much a downer that the balloons were so small compared to what I thought they would be.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:22 PM

descorantud is an unknown quantity at this point
helium is used to fly balloons.It's really hard and you can barely do it, but you do. The key is, to do it again later. The psych-up will still be challenging and it will still be hard, but a little bit less hard to do
Old 10-01-2022, 01:57 PM

lyckr is on a distinguished road
It's a start! 12"/30cm is generally a good size to make them with. Balloon decorators usually recommend underinflating them a little, so they have a more round shape and are less likely to pop.

If you aren't already doing it, I would recommend using earplugs when making the column. At least for me that helps massively when it comes to handling balloons. Somehow it makes them feel less fragile and I become more confident with working with them.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:36 PM
Looner Skunk

The balloons I ordered are 30cm ones same as the pokemon ones I had, but these are way way smaller for some reason. Like they won't get to the same size at all, its weird.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:59 AM

Common Loon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lyckr View Post
It's a start! 12"/30cm is generally a good size to make them with. Balloon decorators usually recommend underinflating them a little, so they have a more round shape and are less likely to pop.

If you aren't already doing it, I would recommend using earplugs when making the column. At least for me that helps massively when it comes to handling balloons. Somehow it makes them feel less fragile and I become more confident with working with them.
All of this. Decorators using 11" balloons for air-filled cluster work rarely inflate them larger than 9-10" for the reasons mentioned here. And, I know my own courage with inflating and handling balloons went way up after adding hearing protection. Even music in headphones helps if all I'm doing is inflating - adding earplugs if I'm planning to inflate bigger and/or take some risks.
Old 19-01-2022, 07:29 AM

descorantud is an unknown quantity at this point
I’ve made two balloon garlands in the past two weeks, so I’m basically a pro now . Balloon garlands and arches are EVERYWHERE lately and are such a great, easy way to really amp up the WOW factor at any party. I *promise* they’re easier than they look! These ballons are looked like polyform fenders in size and weight.
Old 19-01-2022, 10:23 AM
Looner Skunk

I need to try it again. Probably gonna allocate some time this week to do it. I just have to get really amped up to be around balloons, even when I'm alone