Old 19-12-2021, 01:40 PM

Looner584 is on a distinguished road
Default What do you miss?
What do you miss about balloons/inflatables in your younger ger days? What is better now than it was then?
Old 19-12-2021, 03:05 PM

AJK64 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What do you miss?
I miss the old tuftex and unique formulas. I like balloons that stay soft and huggable at max inflation. But the new formulas are a bit plastic like. They are now more like belbal.
Old 19-12-2021, 04:44 PM

LoonerPlanet is on a distinguished road
What I miss:
Buying large balloons at Woolworth's (plus the display of inflated balloons).
Vendors selling balloons at fairs and events, or, even better, giving away helium balloons to anyone. (At one time, many zoos sold helium balloons!)
Renting a helium tank at a reasonable cost.
Legendary balloons: Q24, Tilly worker, Unique zeppelin.
And seeing large, public displays of balloons.

What is better:
Online balloon sources, especially those run by fellow looners. It has allowed me to try balloons from all over the world.
Balloons with great imprints, such as anime, We Love Balloons, Blow Me Up, etc.
And, most recently, looner-made balloons with amazing shapes and sizes.
Old 19-12-2021, 06:42 PM
Wise Member

jiffy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LoonerPlanet View Post
What I miss:
Buying large balloons at Woolworth's (plus the display of inflated balloons).
Vendors selling balloons at fairs and events, or, even better, giving away helium balloons to anyone. (At one time, many zoos sold helium balloons!)
Renting a helium tank at a reasonable cost.
Legendary balloons: Q24, Tilly worker, Unique zeppelin.
And seeing large, public displays of balloons.

What is better:
Online balloon sources, especially those run by fellow looners. It has allowed me to try balloons from all over the world.
Balloons with great imprints, such as anime, We Love Balloons, Blow Me Up, etc.
And, most recently, looner-made balloons with amazing shapes and sizes.
Agree about prevalence of larger balloons in the wild, I remember at the Sears candy counter, the Toys R Us balloons, going to fairs and amusement parks and seeing 16" or larger balloons. I also remember pop up stands at the malls that would stuff balloons with stuffed animals or several other balloons and inflate with helium. Lots of stores and banks would use balloons for decoration. I worked at a bank at one time and loved to see my cute female colleagues inflating balloons with the helium tank. I also miss the independent party and balloon stores. Everything is either online or it is just the big box party stores.
Old 19-12-2021, 11:04 PM

scamper is on a distinguished road
40inch Tilly tear drop and Qualatex 40-inch paddles balloons. I learned to love blow to pop by lung power alone with these balloons.
Old 20-12-2021, 02:37 PM

LoudPop is on a distinguished road
I miss being in balloon situations. There seems to be less opportunities to be around events, parties, situations with balloons. When I was very young and phobic of loud noises, I didn't want to be in those situations. Now, I would love to be in those situations and it rarely happens.

The same goes with firecrackers and fireworks. As a kid, we lived where there was no firework laws. As an adult, I've always lived in cities with firework bans and ordinances; so no one is out popping firecrackers, etc.
Old 20-12-2021, 07:40 PM

PBK is on a distinguished road
I miss lots of things.
I miss the old Bluebird punchballs and the large "Playloons" that they sold in toy and hobby shops.
I miss the original Tilco/Prestige balloons that were available in toy and party stores.
I miss the 24" Qualatex balloons (like everyone else does)
I miss the Tilly 20" balloons. They formed such a nice, big neck that rivalled the 24" Q-tex's.
I miss McDonald's giving away balloons on plastic sticks. They usually didn't knot the balloons so I would deflate them and save them. I had quite a collection. I think COVID fucked this up.
I keep thinking of things to add to this post:
I miss the doll and zeppelin/blimp balloons Unique used to make. I haven't seen those for 10 years or more.

Last edited by PBK; 20-12-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 20-12-2021, 11:24 PM

Tracy is on a distinguished road
I miss airship balloons! What the hell happened to them?!?! They used to be everywhere. Now, you can only get those lousy 3x21s, or go up to Q646s. Don't get me wrong, I love Q646! But I have a soft spot in my heart for the 524s and similar sizes, and those appear to have disappeared utterly in the USA at least.
Old 22-12-2021, 02:40 AM

EthylTheAardvark is on a distinguished road
I miss being attracted to vinyl inflatables in stores. One downside of Inflatableworld.de and the custom toy manufacturers is that all my toys at home are better than the toys in the local drug store or supermarket. The excitement of sneakily buying an inflatable toy and getting it home, having to wait until bedtime before I can *really* start playing with it. Trying to quietly take it out and start inflating it in the dark, feeling it expand against me. Trying to figure out how its shape best fits against my body. Smelling that new inflatable smell. I can look at all the inflatable toys on amazon and not be interested in buying any of them.

I still have some of those experiences whenever I take out a new toy from inflatableworld et al, but it's much more rare. It's fun to do high, since I'm in a weed legal state.

But the vinyl toys I can get now ARE better. I never thought I'd actually see any anthro toy and I have several. The balloons are better now, too. The cheap ones I used to encounter in my childhood would pop if you so much as looked at them funny. I mostly stick to two or three name brands now, 16-19 inch, and they almost never pop unless I want them to.
Old 22-12-2021, 02:52 AM

Loonorm is on a distinguished road
Boss balloons, especially the Boss dolls and zeppelins…Q24s…the Toys R Us balloons…dealerships that displayed balloons outside (collected many back in the day).