Old 14-12-2019, 06:09 PM

anon is on a distinguished road
Default Are certain balloon finishes bigger than other finishes?
Like for example when im using Qualatex 16 inch balloons, it feels like the Pearl finished balloons are smaller in size than the jewel finished balloons.

Exact same thing with the Qualatex 11 inch balloons, the chrome ones get to a bigger size than the pearl balloons?

Is it only me or is it an actual thing?
Old 14-12-2019, 07:36 PM

srob2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Are certain balloon finishes bigger than other finishes?
Different finishes and even different colors will get to different sizes. I remember when most white balloons would get bigger than colored, although this seems less with manufacturing being better.

Pearls are fun since they sometimes stretch much bigger even after they've been inflated to being hard and having a neck. Metalics will do this to a lesser extent.

I don't know about chrome, they haven't been around long and are a little expensive to b2p.
Old 14-12-2019, 09:18 PM

AJK64 is on a distinguished road
In my experience Metalics tend to not get very big, often not even to rated size with most brands, followed by pearl, then standard, with jewels/Crystal's being the easiest to get past rated size.

Like srob2 mentioned, different colours of some brands tend to get bigger too. I used to love 12 inch u unique crystal purples as you could push those things up to around 15" fairly easily, but I think they changed the latex mix a few years ago.
Old 14-12-2019, 10:18 PM

lyckr is on a distinguished road
I don't have much experience with other finishes than standard and crystals, but I've noticed that the colors varies a lot sometimes. Most recently I inflated six 17" Tuf-Tex in different crystal colors. The blue, orange and purple were all still quite soft at rated size, while especially the green and red were really tight. Crystal yellow 16" Unique also seem to get really big with ease.
Old 14-12-2019, 11:48 PM

underpressure is on a distinguished road
I've also found that for a given size class (11", 16", etc), jewel/crystal colors tend to get the biggest, followed by standard, then metallic/pearl. Chrome (and betallatex/sempertex new reflex clone) are kinda in the middle - they tend to be long, and neck quite easily. I've also noticed that chrome don't seem to do well with being reinflated, I've had a fair few develop holes.
Old 15-12-2019, 04:36 AM
Founder, Balloon Buddies

BusterBill is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Is it only me or is it an actual thing?
It's not just you -- different types of balloons (metallic, pearl, pastel, crystal, solid colors, and so forth) all have different inflation characteristics. I remember discussing this a few years ago with a balloon chemist who was a Balloon Buddies member. He said that they use specific chemical additives that give latex the desired "finish" (to use your term). Various chemicals and processes will make a balloon crystal, or opaque, or metallic, or pearlized, and so forth. A side effect is that the additives can also make the latex thicker, thinner, stiffer, softer, stretchier or more "brittle" to a noticeable degree.

Even among balloons of the same finish (for example, solid colors) the different color dyes that are used can cause some colors to inflate much larger than balloons of other colors in the batch. I've noticed that Qualatex 16" solid color orange balloons are often unusually stretchy, and can inflate 15% or more larger than the other colors.

So both the "finish" and the dye can both contribute to the differences that you've noticed.

Old 15-12-2019, 04:54 AM

palloncino90 is on a distinguished road
I noticed it with Tuftex 17". Crystal orange, burgundy, purple, blue and green got bigger than red and yellow ones, these ones get tight easier at their rated size; this is why I avoid these colors, being a non-popper I like softer balloons. The Tuftex 17" white is even softer and get bigger than the standard pink, but standard orange and blue get big like the white.

Last edited by palloncino90; 15-12-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old 15-12-2019, 09:58 AM

wildheart is on a distinguished road
Try the tuftex 14” crystal yellow. You can get them to 18” but they won’t last long after being reinflated. They’re really soft and stretchy.
Old 15-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Could be a chat bot

LondonLarry is on a distinguished road
In the old now defunct Qualtex 24"; Yellow balloons got massive.
Old 18-01-2020, 01:58 AM

SRider is on a distinguished road
I think the quality of manufacturing has a lot to do with it. Chinese-made balloons, especially the 36" flute-moulded balloons I have now, show a big difference in tightness between colors, but it is barely noticeable in American-made Walmart balloons, although to be fair I haven't tried any crystal colors from that range.