X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hopkx001
    • Mar 2024

Preserving Balloons

-----
    Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2021, 17:51.
  • LeeRider
    • Nov 2014

Re: Preserving Balloons

If they are all stretched out after you have blown them up and deflated a few times the heat from a hair drier does shrink them back to being tighter again. Apply the heat to the deflated or only slightly inflated balloon and dont use too high a heat setting.

Keeping them dusted with baby powder and stored away from light in a cool place helps extend the like of good quality balloons for many years.

Comment

• Loonerportland
      • Aug 2016

I actually pack my balloons in ziploc bags and also throw in some silica packs to absorb moisture. Seems to work so far!

Comment

• someloonerguy
        • Aug 2016

Another solution is to wrap your balloons up in a blanket and put them in a dryer for ten to fifteen minutes. It's worked really well for my much larger balloons to help keep them strong.

Comment

• bubbahotep
          • Aug 2016

I don't do anything to "preserve" balloons, but if I get a batch that is really good, the last few get saved for special occasions.

So im my tupperwear case of favs I have a 20 year old 12" Campus Life balloons, down to a whole lot of mismade Walmarts that were never rolled to a lip so make crazy long necks.

Comment

• lilolover82
            • Mar 2014

Very interesting methods of keeping them.
            Washington State, United States

Comment

• bubbahotep
              • Aug 2016

New insight to this.

I currently took a break from doing a partial balloon room fill. It's a special occasion and so I decided to go to the "special stash". Mainly a bag of 250 14" tufftex, two bags of 14" qualatex, a bag of 17" qualatex and a half bag of 24" qualatex. And for fun I went to the ali baba stash and pulled out handfuls of wiggly worms 12" elephants, 12" bunnies.

I bought most of these two years ago.

Except for the Tufftex, the rest of the balloons are incredibly soft and incredibly fragile. I can get a good neck on the Qualatexes, but only with slow careful working it. Same with bunnie ears and the elephant trunk. But the second pressure is released, each balloon will shrink about 20%.

They have aged and become incredibly perfect for a gentle testing. Or harder testing if you have a bunch of them.

Tangent: Did you know that tour de france bicicylists ride on three to five year old tires that are generally stored in basements? Some teams by the tires a few years ahead of the race and store them. They say the rubber softens so that it grips the road better, making each peddle a fraction of a percentage more powerful.

I can tell you that two year old rubber does become more softer, if more fragile. These balloons will rip wonderfully, but never shred.

Have a great night.

Comment

• npratt
                • Jul 2016

I have found that Tuf-tex, especially crystal, have a relatively short shelf life; within a few years they will get sticky and gooey even if stored in a cool dark place. Use 'em or lose 'em.

By the way, speaking of Tuf-tex, I was driving through Ohio and made a side trip to Norwalk.
                Here's where those Tuf-tex are made. The building covers about a city block.
                Attached Files

Comment

• bubblesNdragons
                  • Oct 2019

Sometimes I quickly blast my balloons with a hairdryer right after deflating them to see how much I can shrink them back. I also noticed that if a balloon is really stretched out, sometimes if you breathe a little bit of warm air and barely inflate it, it will shrink back a little bit upon deflation.
                  Speaking of shrinking balloons, have you ever touched a wrinkly deflated balloon and feel it shrink right on your hand? It's such a weird feeling. XD
                  *notices bulge*

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍