Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • L00ner3nt1ty
    • Mar 2024

Got a couple of questions as a rookie looner

Alright, So I've been a looner for quite some time, but I wasn't a "true" looner since I haven't bought a single balloon. Today is the day to change that, but before I can do that I need some information. And who other to ask then this wonderful community. I'm thinking of buying a 36" inch balloon and I've got a couple of questions.

(1) does a certein collor have a certein perk or are all colors the same when talking about quality, how big they get, extra chance of popping, etc.
    (2) what is a proper way to store the balloon, and how many times can it be inflated until there is a bigger risk of it popping?

If you guys have any comments please send them, all the extra information could be useful! Thank you all very much😊

Luther.
  • SweetBouncer
    • Mar 2020

Re: Got a couple of questions as a rookie looner

I don't remember that the color has that much of an effect on the balloon, but maybe I'm wrong.

The size inflated is similar to that of a hoppity hop ball for adults, the 36-inch measure is for diameter, being almost spherical that will be around 113inch or 287cm in circumference.
    If you maintain them under this size they are quite durable, starting to get firm if you push them for a bigger size with the extra risk of popping it. If the brand is good, you will get good quality, if not expect weak-spots, church windows, and similar fabrication defects.

To store them, an airtight container and some kind of powder. A ziplock bag and some talc powder will work, also cornstarch instead of talc if you don't have it, but keep in mind that cornstarch is less durable than talc powder.
    Reinflation is difficult because if the balloon doesn´t stretch evenly the first times, the neck will get thinner than the bottom increasing the risk of popping it.
    Also, this is a balloon that benefits from the use of a hair drier after playing with it to relieve a little of the strain created, you just need to be sure that the balloon is deflated and the neck open.

Finally, between fluted and paddle molds, choose fluted if you can. The difference in quality is pretty big between the two so, if you have to buy cheap balloons because of reasons, fluted is the way to go. Paddle ones are softer but weaker in general. Fluted ones are more reliable and sturdy.

I hope this help you.

Comment

• 7balloon
      • Dec 2018

color is "generally" just a matter of preference, though there is a distinct difference between metallic colors and others. Metallics arent as stretchy and tend to shred a lot more easily. If you really pay attention, certain dyes also reduce stretch(darker dyes & those farthest from white), but not so that anyone would notice unless you had popped 1000's of balloons.

Brand of balloon DOES make a difference as each manufacturer uses a different mold shape and a slightly different mixture to make the rubber. Search the forum here for more information as there has been a lot of posts about the best brand for riding, btp, etc. If you want to know more about the same, Miyu has some really good videos on youtube as does Little P to explain the differences.

As for storage, light and oxygen are balloon killers. sunlight and oxygen both rust rubber. (Oxidize) Some people really like oxidized balloons, others want them new and shiny. But if you want to save them for a reasonable amount of time, in a baggie in a dark place is best. But over time, the rubber will degrade. My oldest balloons are around 20 years old and I can barely get them to the rated size now.

Hope it helps!

Comment

• LoonerHoax
        • May 2020

Colors do matter with the balloons. Clear are usually the strongest because it is the most "natural" color without all the additives to color the latex. Black are typically the weakest. I find that non-crystal red balloons tend to be smaller than other colors. Metallics are always a much firmer balloon.

Comment

• L00ner3nt1ty
          • Mar 2024

thanks for all the information!
          Just like sience does the discovery of one thing lead to more questions, sorry if this is pre-basic stuff but like I said, big rookie here.

(1) what does talk/cornstarch powder do to the balloon and why is it useful? @SweetBouncer
          (2) by stretching the balloon evenly, does this mean that the first couple of times the balloon has to be inflated all the way? this is somewhat uncomfortable for me since I'm a non-popper (phobia), if this is the case. is there a way to minimize the chance of the balloon popping while inflating?

again, thanks for all the useful information!

Comment

• SweetBouncer
            • Mar 2020

In order:
            1)Talc/cornstarch just prevents the balloon from sticking to itself, gives them a smoother texture, and keeps them dry. Some people use it as some kind of dry lubricant.
            Also, a little tip, if the balloons are stored folded over themselves, cracks may appear over time.
            2)It means that unless you find a way to fill the bottom of the balloon before the neck to stretch it. As a matter of premature popping, there is little thing you can do, I do recommend you to check for weakspots, for reference, there is a post in this forum about them.https://blowtopop.net/showthread.php?t=19473
            Keep in mind that 36 inches are strong balloons in general, so don't be afraid of being a little rough with them.

Comment

• ShredFox
              • Mar 2019

Don't worry, this is the right place to ask questions

Talc powder is generally used to keep balloons from sticking to themselves. Latex can get very sticky, and balloons which have been inflated before are more prone to sticking than new ones. Sometimes you will find a powdery dust on new balloons which are still in their package, which is an agent used to keep them separate.

As for the colors, I guess it depends on what brand they are, but generally I agree with what LoonerHoax said. Metallic balloons are my least favourite balloons because of how stiff they feel.

Edit: hey, I guess I was a minute too late and Boncer was faster. :P
              Last edited by ShredFox; 31-03-2021, 20:32.

Comment

• L00ner3nt1ty
                • Mar 2024

thanks for your responses again,

as for the talk powder, I get that this is important since it is irritating to have that problem, do you just throw the powder on there or is there a certein way to do it, as in, only the outside of the balloon, or also the inside. or just one of the two. also. is there a particular brand of powder that is better then others?

thanks again you all! ^^

Comment

• BusterBill
                  Founder, Balloon Buddies
                  • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Luther066
                  do you just throw the powder on there or is there a certein way to do it, as in, only the outside of the balloon, or also the inside. or just one of the two. also. is there a particular brand of powder that is better then others?thanks again you all! ^^
                  Powder products that contain the actual mineral called "talc" or talcum powder can allegedly cause cancer. << See the link for more details.

The talc itself isn't the problem, the problem is asbestos contamination which can cause COPD and possibly lung cancer. When talc is mined it is frequently contaminated by adjacent veins of asbestos. As a result we now have in the USA a huge class action lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder.

Anyway, my preferred "safe solution" is to use Johnson & Johnson's Corn Starch. It comes in a white plastic bottle identical to their talc-based Baby Powder Powder product, but instead it says Corn Starch clearly on the bottle. I prefer the J&J product vs. corn starch or corn flour sold for cooking because the J&J product is granulized and less messy. The chef's variety of corn starch (also known as corn flour outside the USA) will work too.

I simply put any previously inflated balloons that I want to store and re-use into an appropriately sized zip lock plastic bag, sprinkle a small amount of the corn starch in the bag, seal it and toss until all the balloons are coated. A small dash of corn starch goes a long way, so don't get too carried away. There is no need to tie or seal the balloons necks -- in fact you want the corn starch to get inside the balloons to keep them sticking to themselves. Obviously you don't want to do this with balloons that are still wet inside from condensation. You'll need to dry them first (turn 'em inside out and let them dry out).

Comment

• lucid
                    • Sep 2016

I would also recommend buying more than one of anything you're planning on getting if you're able 2. Reason being, if you only order up one, and it finally arrives and has defects, or does somehow accidentally pop,, you're out of commission until you can get another one sent out and then you have to wait longer and pay more shipping. Also, if you're wanting to reuse it multiple times, you can learn how to half knot rather than keeping it blown up permanently if that's an issue for whatever reason. My go 2 technique lately is to squirt some high float in the nozzle and twist 3 or 4 times and it will dry shut. Them you can use warm water to rinse it out when you're done. People also use rubber bands to close them up.

Comment

• L00ner3nt1ty
                      • Mar 2024

Would some of you know how to reuse a balloon for as many times as possible? I can't order many balloons at once as for personal reasons, I've ordered 3 "35inch balloons and I'm picking them up tomorrow, I'm pretty exciting. I've seen video's and damn these things get big

Comment

• loonlun
                        • Mar 2021

I usually just leave it inflated and don't bother with clean up. Most last about a week or two depending on humidity/sunlight/oxidation, how hard I'm going at it, and how much I've inflated it. Getting a few for back-up isn't a bad idea if you can.

Others might have different thoughts.

Comment

• Spacehopper
                          Hopper
                          • Mar 2021

I use a baggy clip (you can pick these up in most supermarkets)..and twist the nozzle a few times and pop the clip over it..It usually holds fine..although some experimentation is usually needed..

If you want them to return to normal size, run them under cold water, until they shrink back down...again, it's something everyone is different about!

Comment

• frankfrank
                            Empathetic Harmonizer
                            • Feb 2018

How did you do with your 35s? You have them by now.
                            People who don't know the difference between BURRO and BURROW, can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground.

There's been a lot of thefts of helium-filled balloons recently. More so than in the past, so they're going up. I think inflation is to blame.

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." - The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎