Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJK64
    • Jun 2018

Tuftex 14s changed?

Hi there balloon experts. I usually buy 14 inch crystal turftex and they are, by far my favourite balloons. But I bought a fresh batch last week and they are different. I thought maybe they had sent me the wrong balloons at first.

I used to love tuftex because of how soft they stayed even when blown to the max. They would easily get beyond the max on first inflation too.

These new ones feel more like belbal or qualatex. Hard and plastic like when fully inflated. Almost more like an inflatable than a balloon.

Anyone know if tuftex have changed their formula, and now what brand can I use for similar size and texture,
  • BYGavia
    • Dec 2017

Re: Tuftex 14s changed?

I have experienced the same with 17-inch balloons. They were marketed as “Party-Tex” or “party style” and different from normal Tuf-Tex. I hope this was the case rather than a formula change to all 14” Tuf-Tex balloons.

Comment

• wildheart
      • Apr 2015

Colours make a big difference too, but I have noticed a big change with the last two batches I bought. Same size and colour but vastly different characteristics.
      How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
      My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• Zachd
        • Jul 2018

I would be interested in the manufacturing date on those 14s. I've heard that very recently (this year, possibly), TT changed their formula to be the same as Qtex. This sounds like an effect of that.

Comment

• Smelter12001
          • Nov 2015

I wish qualatex still made the 14inch balloons. They always popped the loudest and shredded. Hope fully the tufftex 14 will now be this way. I've been buying tufftex 14 since the end of the qualatex 14. Anyway let us know if they burst violently.

Comment

• Black_Bear
            • May 2013

I've heard that Tuftex has started using Qualatex latex formulas. I have some new 2020 batches of their new colors and the balloons are insanely strong. They do blow up very tight, but the quality itself is the same. I have not tried to b2p 17" crystals with the new batch, but curious if anyone else has.

Comment

• BYGavia
              • Dec 2017

If this is true, then perhaps we can expect Tuf-Tex balloons to last longer in storage.

The shape of Tuf-Tex + the longevity and smooth texture of Qualatex is fine by me.

Comment

• softsquishyballoon
                • Feb 2020

On a more positive note, I think most latex balloons do get soft and squishy if you keep them around long enough.

Other than Tuf-Tex and Unique, I've found that these balloon brands are also pretty soft.

Balsa-Circle

Efavormart

Prex-Tex

I'm not sure if Prex-Tex is related to Tuf-Tex.

Whatever you do, though - try to limit direct sunlight with your balloons, or you might hear an unexpected pop. Unless that's your thing, of course.

If you like soft and squishy inflatables, there's also Wubble Bubble. <3
                Last edited by softsquishyballoon; 21-06-2020, 22:59. Reason: minor

Comment

• seattlelurker
                  • Oct 2017

I am quite partial to the Tuftex 24's (especially crystal), and I'd agree that they definitely seemed to change formulation around a year ago (or maybe a little longer). All at once the latex seemed to get a little thicker, defects went down, and the rolled lip on the neck became noticeably thicker and a little more consistently formed.

I don't mind the change (in my experience they certainly seemed to get better quality, less balloons with defects, and they seem to last better), although while I don't need a completely soft balloon, I don't like them to be rock-hard either. In my experience, totally stiff latex comes with cheap balloons, and quality latex products tend to stay "bouncy" even as they get tighter near their size limit.

Because of that, with the new formulation my new favorite point is after 2-3 very full/tight inflations... I like to blow them to pop, and a virgin balloon will now typically be harder than my liking and quite a fight to the end. Colors do vary, though, and the Emerald Green Crystal in particular keep a nice "bouncy" consistency pretty much from the first inflation... for other colors (I like the Crystal Purple a lot), I like to "prime" them with 2-3 inflations close to the bursting point first. On that third or fourth inflation, they stretch well, get huge, and keep a nice latex-y bounce and spring all the way up to the end, while still getting tight enough near the limit to be nice and exciting. They also still shred very nicely when overinflated properly; very long thin shreds in an "octopus", not the big soft pieces that indicate a premature pop (and a balloon that could have gotten bigger and tighter!), but also not the annoying needle-sized shards of a cheap and hard balloon that take a thousand years to clean up.

If you like a long and defined neck (which normally takes a very tight balloon "bulb"), the new Tuftex formulation will probably be great at a virgin inflation! I like the balloons to be lightly pear-shaped as they get bigger and bigger, so the multiple-inflation "priming" gets me just what I want. Overall, the balloons do seem to last better in storage and are stronger with less defects than their old formula, so I'm not complaining. The little bit of extra "work" to pre-inflate the balloons a few times before their final overinflation also isn't too much of a chore, really... they are super strong now and it's exciting to push them hard to their limit a couple of times first, and see how big they will get without popping. Then on that third or fourth time up, I've had some really incredibly huge balloons that just seem to go and go forever until the pop!

Comment

• wildheart
                    • Apr 2015

This is the difference between the old and new formula. Think you can guess which is which.
                    Attached Files
                    How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
                    My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍