Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PBK
    • Mar 2019

Re: Balloons that you want but can't have

Yep. The date on the packages and box is 1985. The ones I have are from a retail box of 50ct Smurf punchballs, made in the USA by Bluebird, individually packaged. Rubber band included but detached. No "lip" on the end of the neck. Very think latex and difficult to blow up by mouth. The colors are orange, yellow, blue and pink. I bought the box sealed off of eBay many years ago. The balloons themselves are in perfect condition, although I would not push them past maybe 14" diameter. They have a very rich latex-like smell to them.
    I also have a bag of 150ct of the same brand of punchballs, not sure of the era, that were custom printed for "Jellystone Park" somewhere in Ohio. They feature Yogi Bear printed on them. Their colors are pink, yellow and blue. Also purchased from eBay.
    Finally, I have several dozen Halloween printed punchballs with a jack-o-lantern face printed on them. Orange. Also by Bluebird. 90's dates on the packages. These same punchballs were continued to be manufactured with that print by Qualatex after they bought out Bluebird. I also have some of those.
    On a side note, Bluebird manufactured a type of large, strong balloon called a Playloon that was sold by a retail chain in the United States called "Hobby Lobby". When Qualatex took over Bluebird they discontinued manufacturing that balloon. This was met with great despair on the old Champagne and Balloons forum. Many of the older looners on this forum might remember these balloons. I never managed to get ahold of any.

Comment

• Common Loon
      • Aug 2020

Bluebird manufactured a type of large, strong balloon called a Playloon
      PLAY-LOONS. I had a total of one in the course of my 25-ish years of looning. It was glorious, like a Q30 but somehow thicker *and* softer than Qualatex? Mine was a dark teal green. Vivid memories.

Comment

• NexsoInflatables552
        • Sep 2020

Hello everyone, I am new here and I just came across this subject and I would therefore like to share with you the balloons that I want but that I cannot have, already balloons from a Belgian fast food restaurant but which exist in France, except that as luck would have it the one in my town was replaced by a Burger King. Here's a photo off the balloons that i want (it's not mine).

Home for all your photos and videos, automatically organized and easy to share.

Comment

• balloonPatcher
          • Jun 2020

Very interested infinding out about the playloon. Does anyone have a picture of one uniflated and dimensions and the thickness of the rubber. Any info on this balloon would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

• Luckygirl
            • Sep 2020

Me too! I love helium balloons but I can't have them since I don't live by myself. but I would love to have a few heliums attached to my bed.

I always wanted those deco bubble type balloons but they always have kid designs on them and I would feel kinda guilty if I bought one.
            Come in my darling, if you dare.. https://www.deviantart.com/sleekfreaksummary456

Comment

• BusterBill
              Founder, Balloon Buddies
              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Common Loon
              PLAY-LOONS. I had a total of one in the course of my 25-ish years of looning. It was glorious, like a Q30 but somehow thicker *and* softer than Qualatex? Mine was a dark teal green. Vivid memories.
              I had half a dozen of those amazing PlayLoons back in the day. This thread brings back such wonderful memories. Damn, they were awesome!!! It's a shame that they were made for such a short time and then just disappeared from distribution. The closest thing I've found to them are the Prextex 36" balloons on Amazon.com

Comment

• BusterBill
                Founder, Balloon Buddies
                • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Dude1234
                Is there a balloon that you really want but can't have?

I think we all miss the amazing, but sadly discontinued, Qualatex 24's. I see several listed on eBay so they aren't totally unobtainable. But they are pricey.

Last edited by BusterBill; 20-09-2020, 17:31.

Comment

• LoonerHoax
                  • May 2020

I have quite a stash if Q24's so I can't complain too much about those... Also, my local distributor still gets old stock shipments once a year of a certain print assortment. I think I bought 40 of them this year before Covid-19 hit.

I always wanted one of the big (to me at the time) latex helium balloons that Toys r Us had back in the mid-90's. Never was able to get one before they disappeared.

Comment

• Loonorm
                    • Mar 2019

Originally posted by LoonerHoax
                    I always wanted one of the big (to me at the time) latex helium balloons that Toys r Us had back in the mid-90's. Never was able to get one before they disappeared.
                    I too miss those Toys R Us balloons! Back in the day, when I would go to my grandmas house in Chicago for a long weekend (she would not be home, as she was at my parents house), I would always stop at one or two Toys R Us stores and clean them out of balloons! I would even ask for uninflated ones also! What was nice was that they were loosely tied to the stick, so I would be able to blow them up even bigger! All of these were never helium filled, always air.

Comment

• PBK
                      • Mar 2019

The Toys R Us balloons they had nearby where I grew up were huge, always well necked and never filled with helium. They were usually on the plastic balloon sticks and always at the till. I never managed to get any, but I remember them fondly. I'd sure like to know who made them.

Comment

• Casey88
                        lukmanrewa
                        • Jun 2012

Love those famous Toys-R-Us Q16 balloons, have quite a few left on my stash.

Comment

• PBK
                          • Mar 2019

Other balloons I miss dearly are the Tilco 40" and Tilco 72".
                          These were the giants of my earlier years. They were readily available at most party and even some major chain department stores in western Canada.

Comment

• Asclepio
                            • Sep 2018

@PBK they are not totally dead, tilco is still going strong but they moved to Guadalajara, México, now they sell a lot of loons to Walmart Mexico (Literally to decorate the stores), but recently I got some 40¨and one 72¨from them. The 40¨are 2.5 dollars each and the 72¨is 9 dollars each one.
                            They also make the 17¨and 20¨models (but they are very bad loons in my opinion).
                            Here is their webpage.
                            Encuentra globos de alta calidad, coloridos y biodegradables al precio de fábrica en nuestra tienda en línea.
                            A looner looking for fun, against violence or people with hightened moral idealism…. I just care about loons, so don’t ruin the fun.

Comment

• PBK
                              • Mar 2019

Hmmm...
                              Imagine that!
                              I might have to place an order. Do any of the major mail-order balloon vendors sell them? Or do you have to order directly from them?

Comment

• Asclepio
                                • Sep 2018

I don't know, since I live in the same city than the factory I just go directly to buy them.
                                But I think looner stores are not selling them........
                                A looner looking for fun, against violence or people with hightened moral idealism…. I just care about loons, so don’t ruin the fun.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎