Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Common Loon
    • Aug 2020

Electric pump with a timer?

Has anyone tried the inexpensive Borosino balloon pump with an inbuilt digital timer? (See picture attached, from https://www.aliexpress.com/i/627987637.html )

I'd love to have a pump where once I find the perfect size for my balloons, I can repeat it without worrying about going too far, or chickening out and USD $60 seems more attractive than $200+ for Lagenda or $1000+ for Conwin, which are more professional kits.

Or, does anyone have a technique they like when inflating tons of balloons to get them all to the exact size you like?
    Attached Files
  • john1bl
    • Jan 2014

Re: Electric pump with a timer?

This will is a chinesium pump it will get hot after a few balloons. I have a slimier pump, and the problem I have is the nozzles will whistle loudly. As for balloon sizing, you can use a holey box or two chairs. Have you thought of making a timer with an Arduino and solid state relay? This way you have a sizer that is not dependent on what pump you have. If I remember right you have played with electronics in the past.

Comment

• Common Loon
      • Aug 2020

Originally posted by john1bl
      If I remember right you have played with electronics in the past.
      You have an excellent memory, friend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELdYY9hJcO4

What I didn't like about the setup from the video is that there was no way to easily change the time setting -- it was coded into the Arduino firmware so I had to change the code and reflash any time I wanted to inflate to different sizes. Not exactly user friendly!

I eventually did do an Arduino-and-relay-based timer with a Bluetooth module connected to an Android phone app. It worked fairly well for a while, but it got annoying to have to dig up an old phone or tablet anytime I wanted to use it (my everyday phone is an iPhone).

It's one of those engineering problems where the cost of buying a pre-fab thing is finally outweighing the cost of making one of my own. I dream of a Conwin Duplicator connected to a compressed air tank for unlimited perfect on/off down to the tenth-of-a-second... but realistically need something that's 90% as good for 10% of the price!

Comment

• john1bl
        • Jan 2014

There are LCD shields that have buttons on them to make the interface easier now. the chinaisum will work but is limited on the duty cycle. If you are not filling rooms at a time then the one you are looking at should work.

Comment

• S2Plooner
          • Jan 2020

You can get a potentiometer to set the time. You can hookup an lcd and get it done.

I can help too, I'm working with Arduino on many projects!

Comment

• Common Loon
            • Aug 2020

Cool! I'm debating getting started on this project again sometime this year.

In the next version I want to add a solenoid valve as well, that opens after the pump spins up and closes before it spins down. Just to get more precision, since my experience is that the time it takes the compressor to start and stop can make sizing the balloons uneven. So: energize pump --> wait 0.5 sec --> open valve --> wait user-defined number of seconds --> close valve --> de-energize pump.

If I could make that with a little enclosure and a potentiometer dial and an LCD display... that would be a killer piece of kit. Oh, and a foot switch!
            Last edited by Common Loon; 27-08-2020, 03:09.

Comment

• john1bl
              • Jan 2014

You need a 3d printer

Comment

• Common Loon
                • Aug 2020

Don't tempt me... I could lose a bunch of time and money trying to 3D print just the right inflator base

Comment

• t17forLife
                  • May 2015

In addition to the ideas about a digital readout and solenoid valve (I would set up a "blowoff valve" that exhausts outside the unit in order to extend pump and seal life), here's another idea:

Program the controller to accept balloon "profiles." We could get common balloon brands and sizes, then create a table of data for inflation times in half-inch increments. Variations can be made for softer/weaker colors and balloons that are harder to inflate such as pearls. We could also integrate a manual inflation button and a "learn feature" to save profiles for uncommon or unbranded balloons based on user preference.

Comment

• Common Loon
                    • Aug 2020

"blowoff valve"
                    As a proud owner of a tuned turbo car... I like where this is going

Yes, if the pump you used were really consistent, you could definitely set up a big database like you mention. Now I'm thinking... control-over-IP so you and your looner friends can inflate each other's balloons remotely, from across the world. (How much air did I just send you? :cringe

Comment

• john1bl
                      • Jan 2014

I just may have to build a timed plug

Comment

• Common Loon
                        • Aug 2020

I wonder about using a smart plug, though, unless it's directly connected to the device doing the timing (such as via Bluetooth). Over a wireless IP connection there can be enough of a delay receiving the signal that the timing resolution could be very poor.

I'm just imagining... pump starts, device sends an "off" signal, network latency happens, the pump doesn't shut off on time...

Comment

• Common Loon
                          • Aug 2020

How are you using Alexa to set time delays? I have a bunch of smart plugs but I don't think I can do that with mine.

Comment

• Common Loon
                            • Aug 2020

That's cool. I might need to experiment -- 5 seconds seems pretty long, but compared to manually pumping, checking size, maybe pumping some more, it might not be so bad. Especially for doing lots of bigger balloons.

Of course, my secret dream is a pump that's as fast with air as the Conwin sizer is with helium... zero to 11" full in 0.9 seconds flat 8D

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎