Your in the process of moving, how do you deal with your inflatable/balloons?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan556
    • Sep 2016

Your in the process of moving, how do you deal with your inflatable/balloons?

A few weeks ago I got offered a job in another state in my field of study so I took it. Me and a friend will be sharing an apartment and such but I cannot bring a ton of stuff with me so the collection is staying at my parents house. So far I played with two inflatables I had for a few years and popped them since I don't want to leave much evidence behind not to mention they have memories attached to a recent breakup so they needed to go. Other than that I already found a better spot to hide my balloon collection so my parents don't come across it in case they get bored and go through my room while im living away for the next 6-12 months. And as much as I would love to start a collection at my new home, my friend that i'm moving with is very nosey and not to mention we will both be working at the same job with the same hours so i'm pretty much not going to have much privacy besides having my own room.

Now onto the question. How do you fellow peeps deal with your collections while moving? How difficult of a decision was it to leave all your balloons behind if you had to?
  • BusterBill
    Founder, Balloon Buddies
    • Nov 2016

Re: Your in the process of moving, how do you deal with your inflatable/balloons?

Originally posted by Ryan556
    Now onto the question. How do you fellow peeps deal with your collections while moving? How difficult of a decision was it to leave all your balloons behind if you had to?
    I have moved twice in the past 2 years. In both cases I was in a temporary living situation until I found my own place. I put the things I didn't need everyday access to in a storage unit. The smallest storage units aren't terribly expensive, and it has the advantage that you can drop by and get a few toys to play with when the opportunity arises. Just thought I'd suggest that as one possibility for you to consider.

Comment

• FireRider
      • Jul 2016

Re: Your in the process of moving, how do you deal with your inflatable/balloons?

I agree with Bill that a storage unit would be a good idea if you can afford it. If not, I suggest taking a small part of your collection with you and storing it in a safe place, e.g. somewhere under your bed. I remember I always kept my balloons in the box my Xbox came in as a kid. If you have a car, those are great for private playing/popping sessions if you're in the mood, but your roommate is home.

Random question, but what were those inflatables you disposed of?

Comment

• Danniballoon
        • Mar 2018

I'm going through a similar process at the moment. I have a habit of continually buying balloons and inflatables, putting them on one side and forgetting about them. I'm sorting out my favourite stuff in to a couple of boxes and anything that is unopened is going to the local charity shops. Unfortunately, I have to dump some stuff that has been opened, but at least giving away what I can is less wasteful and helps others. Last time I moved, I offered it for free in one of the balloons/inflatable groups. I got a few people interested, but no one ever actually turned up to collect it.

Comment

• loonerlee
          • Dec 2018

Honestly, safe bet is somewhere some how behind lock and key

Comment

• Ryan556
            • Sep 2016

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Ive only been on here a few times since this post and never got the notifications for these responses. What i popped was a intex inflatable pool toy orca and flamingo which i can easily buy again at any grocery store if needed. If it was a rare or expensive inflatable i would have saved it and hid it super well. But to my suprise ive actually been able to get some play time in as my roommate every so often will leave for a few hours, though i only brought some china 36 in balloons from home but they do the job just fine for now.

Comment

• Londonj2014
              • Dec 2017

If you haven't got a large collection of balloons try a suitcase, you could hide the balloons in the middle of loads of clothes.

Comment

• loonlun
                • Mar 2021

Nthing using a suitcase. I use a duffel bag for my collection.

Comment

• Louis
                  • Jul 2021

This is fantasic question. I have portable hard drives with all my videos and I am working away from home I buy new clips to keep me going on my laptop. For the balloons my self I have a balloon suitcase which is not so big I think and it can carry my collections in there. It is small enough not to problem for me.

Comment

• Ryan556
                    • Sep 2016

Completly forgot i posted this thread a while back lol. After visiting home a few times in the past year i managed to go through and pop or simply throw out balloons from my collection that didn't have much left in them. I kept my collection in a dresser in my old closet back at my parents house. Thought i'd been doing a good job all these years but when i visited back in august it was quite obvious that my mom went through all my stuff. The clothes that hid away my collection were moved to the side and all my balloons were within sight when opening the chore i hid them in. At some point during that vacation my mom brought up the topic of deep cleaning my old room more and perhaps clearing out some space in my old dresser... (not obvious at all). I've slowly been moving more of my collection out to chicago with me as time goes on but for anyone reading this, if you move out of your parents house be more smart than i was with hiding your collection if you can't bring it with you lol

Comment

• traveler_mark
                      • Jan 2022

With regard to the actual move - I boxed everything up, taped up the boxes, labeled them in a way that was inconspicuous but I understood, and packed them up for transport. Since I, ultimately, did all of the pack/unpack for the moving vehicle, I had no concerns about someone else inadvertently grabbing the boxes and opening them.

With regard to storing at your new location and your roommate being "nosey" - if you're going to live with someone, they need to understand boundaries, personal space, and personal property. If they don't, maybe reconsider your living arrangements. Otherwise, you should be able to locate something location-wise that will allow you to stow your items away, out of sight, and where they aren't going to go snooping. Backpack or similar at the back of the closet, above the ceiling tiles in your room if there's a drop-ceiling, or something like that.

If you're not sure about their snooping, maybe get a cheap Wyze camera or something that will store short clips in the cloud and have it in your room for when you're no there to keep an eye on things to see if your roommate is snooping. Do that before bringing your stash into the house.

Comment

• MylarLover
                        Mylar Balloon Lover
                        • Apr 2023

I moved in 2019, I spend some hours deflating all my Mylar balloons using a straw and packed them down in plastic boxes that protect them from dust and scrap things. along with furniture and other things my many boxes of Mylar balloons was in the moving truck. after moving I inflated them again in my new bigger apartment.

Comment

• bubblesNdragons
                          • Oct 2019

My collection is relatively small, it all fits into a couple of tote bags and I just remember to pack those whenever I move. If I had to leave my balloons behind, it'd probably be for the better. I'm in a position where my balloons are kinda old and I'm afraid of popping them, and I either need to reassure myself that they are likely fine or just get some new ones.
                          *notices bulge*

Comment

• Nopops4me
                            • Jun 2015

BubblesNdragons, if you've only got two tote bags worth, you can't have many. So have yourself a 'going away party' You'll soon know which balloons were good and which ones didn't make it. Have fun with the good buddies until they join the baddies. That'll save transporting to your new home. When you've arrived, get yourself a fresh lot and have a 'welcome in ' party.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎