The strangest pop you’ve ever witnessed..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • craggy2012
    • Jan 2012

The strangest pop you’ve ever witnessed..

Last night I blew up and tied off a black Chinese 36 incher and this morning I decided to get rid of it. This morning it was dull instead of shiny like it had oxidised real quick, but instead of just popping it I made a small hole in it just behind the knot and left it to slowly deflate. It got to about half size then suddenly popped with a loud crack n almost split itself in half (other than for the knot keeping the two parts together still. In forty odd years of messing with balloons and popping them I’ve never seen a loon go like that!
  • wildheart
    • Apr 2015

Re: The strangest pop you’ve ever witnessed..

Very occasionally I’ll blow a balloon really tight, and as soon as I let some air out it’ll burst. It’s happened a couple of times with Belbal 14’s. It must have something to do with the latex shrinking.
    How big will it go? Only one way to find out...
    My website: loonerstories.weebly.com

Comment

• LoonerHoax
      • May 2020

Had something similar happen. I was riding a Q24. When I finished, I got off and then it popped.

Comment

• BusterBill
        Founder, Balloon Buddies
        • Nov 2016

I had a bag of very old Tuftex 24's in my stash that were no longer usable. I tossed them into the rubbish bin in the original Tuftex factory package after opening it and discovering how badly they had deteriorated.

A trash picker took them out of the bin when it was curbside awaiting the rubbish pickup. He fished a balloon out of the bag and started to blow it up. It was a crystal green one that inflated all lopsided -- one side of the balloon was inflating while literally 2/3's of the bulb wasn't inflating at all. I assumed the bubble would burst immediately as that had always been my experience with balloons that had such massive weak spots.

To my amazement it just kept getting bigger, thinner, and literally transparent. It was almost as big as a tightly inflated 14 inch balloon before it finally popped. It wasn't very loud but it was fascinating.

I think that would be the strangest pop I've ever seen.

Comment

• palloncino90
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by BusterBill
          I had a bag of very old Tuftex 24's in my stash that were no longer usable. I tossed them into the rubbish bin in the original Tuftex factory package after opening it and discovering how badly they had deteriorated.

A trash picker took them out of the bin when it was curbside awaiting the rubbish pickup. He fished a balloon out of the bag and started to blow it up. It was a crystal green one that inflated all lopsided -- one side of the balloon was inflating while literally 2/3's of the bulb wasn't inflating at all. I assumed the bubble would burst immediately as that had always been my experience with balloons that had such massive weak spots.

To my amazement it just kept getting bigger, thinner, and literally transparent. It was almost as big as a tightly inflated 14 inch balloon before it finally popped. It wasn't very loud but it was fascinating.

I think that would be the strangest pop I've ever seen.
          I guess that it has been fascinating for you and definitely strange even if a scenario like that would be very creepy for me I run away from the balloon if it begins to inflate not evenly.
          I want to live surrounded of big and colorful balloons

Comment

• Asclepio
            • Sep 2018

First time was like 10 years ago, I was only a 16 years old looner, so I was blowing a black unique 16¨ for a pre halloween party, so there is the strange part, the balloon just kept growing till maybe 20 inches (very common on old uniques) when the neck started to form I just pull it and it inflated by itself because the high pressure on the body, I tied it and admired it for a few seconds, then I noticed that the balloon had a kind of weird shape? Lets size that a half of the balloon was peeling off? I don't know how to describe it, is like the color of half the balloon was literally clearer than the other half and I noticed that half was thinner than the one whit the darker color, after maybe 10 minutes it popped by itself.

Second time was with a Tuftex 17¨I was over inflating it, when the neck was fully inflated I loose the grip and the balloon flew away from me by some seconds, so it deflated to maybe 17¨inches (It was inflated to 19¨), so when I took it again, I just started to blow again to overinflate it, but at the first blow it just popped...... So that was not expected, why it didn't pop when it was really overinflated??
            A looner looking for fun, against violence or people with hightened moral idealism…. I just care about loons, so don’t ruin the fun.

Comment

• HeliumLover
              • Jul 2018

I had an interesting experience with a nitrile glove I made into a balloon the other day. These kinds of gloves are different than latex gloves in that they start out small and not very stretchy, but if you blow them up and leave them inflated/play with them for a while, they get softer/stretchier and you can make them HUGE. I've gotten them to around 18 inches with no signs of them popping... however, one evening I decided to bring out one I'd been working on blowing up, and not even 5 inches in and it pops at the space between the thumb and forefinger.

Comment

• TheMole
                • Nov 2019

Once I decided to blow up a big 36” balloon of unknown brand that was quite a bit thicker than most. It was inflated about half way when I stopped blowing and used a clip to seal it so I could sit on it and squeeze it a bit to stretch it out. It was really nice and bouncy and didn’t show any sign of popping. Really was a nice ‘loon that I was looking forward to playing with. All was well until I sat on it harder and the neck bulged out, causing the clip to shatter violently, sending shards of plastic into the balloon, popping it. (and my arm, yes, it bled a bit).

I’ve never had it happen before or since and I use the same clips all the time. Sometimes visibly pushing their limits on bigger nozzles, but I’ve never had it happen again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍