Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Asclepio
    • Sep 2018

Noise canceling headphones

I have a question. Do the noise canceling headphones really work? I mean, they can cancel the normal noise, but what about a pop from a balloon? Are they efficient enough to block a loud sound?
    A looner looking for fun, against violence or people with hightened moral idealism…. I just care about loons, so don’t ruin the fun.
  • MikeTheBouncer
    POP-O-RAMA!
    • Feb 2016

Re: Noise canceling headphones

Greetings Depplooner!

Noise cancelling headphones will block ambient noise that interfere with music listening. If you are looking to block the sound of balloons popping, I recommend something like this...
    (I would even wear both at the same time!)

1.jpg 2.jpg

Both are from Home Depot, here is the link...

Here is a link about how noise cancelling headphones work...
    Noise-canceling headphones come in two types: active and passive. Find out how noise-canceling headphones reduce ambient noise.

Take good care of your hearing, especially with loud balloons popping near them.
    Have fun!
    MikeTheBouncer

Comment

• srob2
      • Dec 2017

People advise people who are scared to b2p to play music really loud so the balloon isn't so loud and/or wear ear plugs. This is better, as the balloon is much quieter without dulling the music. But it isn't going to protect you as well as ear plugs under industrial ear muffs.

They are much better for someone scared to b2p a unique than someone worried about hearing damage from a louder balloon.
      Last edited by srob2; 28-02-2019, 02:08.

Comment

• Meililoon
        aka lyckr
        • Sep 2014

As someone who use earplugs and regular earphones on top, I can confirm that balloons popping isn't very loud then, even blow to pops. It's the anxiety of something that might suddenly happen that usually stops me when I'm trying to do a b2p.

Comment

• t17forLife
          • May 2015

I recommend using foam earplugs at a very minimum. Balloons are loud enough to be dangerous, and earplugs will reduce the noise to a much safer level. The average balloon is about 150dB. Anything over 140 is problematic for any amount of time. Each 3dB increase doubles both the actual noise level and the danger. Earplugs will reduce that to about 120dB, which is not the worst thing when done sparingly.

Originally posted by lyckr
          As someone who use earplugs and regular earphones on top, I can confirm that balloons popping isn't very loud then, even blow to pops. It's the anxiety of something that might suddenly happen that usually stops me when I'm trying to do a b2p.
          Correct! I'm not afraid of the noise, just the risk of the balloon popping. They help nonetheless.

Comment

• Seidenki
            • Dec 2016

There are earmuffs with active noise-cancelling designed for pistol clubs. They work differently than the commonly available ambient noise-cancelling headphones. However, I've only seen them on Mythbusters, and it was a late episode, too, so they seem like a quite new technology and could be expensive and/or hard to source.

Comment

• glovepopper
              • May 2019

Disposable earplugs are enough for shooting 9mm gun, so they will be even more than enough for popping balloons

Comment

• PBK
                • Mar 2019

I use them at the gun range and they're good for everything up to and including .50 BMG.
                I think my phobia with popping is more of the surprise element and something about the particular type of noise the pop makes than the "bang" itself. Plus I mentally associate popping with unpleasant memories.

Comment

• glovepopper
                  • May 2019

It's a pity that the .50 cal BMG is not available for civilians in my country, it must be a nice feeling shooting from this beast
                  (sorry for off-topic)

Comment

• OverTheTop
                    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by PBK
                    I use them at the gun range and they're good for everything up to and including .50 BMG.
                    I think my phobia with popping is more of the surprise element and something about the particular type of noise the pop makes than the "bang" itself. Plus I mentally associate popping with unpleasant memories.
                    I can relate to that. While the noise is a "scare" factor for me, I think the general surprise and knowing it could pop at any given time is more significant.

Comment

• PBK
                      • Mar 2019

Originally posted by glovepopper
                      It's a pity that the .50 cal BMG is not available for civilians in my country, it must be a nice feeling shooting from this beast
                      (sorry for off-topic)
                      Actually, you aren't missing much. .50 BMG rifles are very expensive to buy and shoot (~$7 per round) and are quite overrated. More of a Hollywood rifle. They are in use by militaries and some law enforcement, but there are much better options.

Anyway, sorry for the thread derail. Back on topic......

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎